10 replies to this topic

#1 nyeguy

nyeguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, hunting, fishing, winemaking

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:51 AM

Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for some apple blossom wine? I was going to make dandelion (still might), but thought about all the work that was involved as I was staring out the window at my flowering crabs, crab apple, and apple trees and thought why not do an apple blossom wine. I can't find a recipe though....anyone got one they are willing to share?
Mark in Rudolph

Bulk aging... 1 gal cranberry, 1 gal pumpkin, 1 gal concord,2+ gal Maple/honey, 1.5 gallons cranberry/orange,
1+ gallons apple
Secondary... 6 gallons Skeeter,
Primary... Nothing as of now, plenty in the plans!!

#2 nyeguy

nyeguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

Come on 18 views and no takers!! Does this mean I have to create my own??
Mark in Rudolph

Bulk aging... 1 gal cranberry, 1 gal pumpkin, 1 gal concord,2+ gal Maple/honey, 1.5 gallons cranberry/orange,
1+ gallons apple

#3 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16027 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

I'd just hate to sacrifice apples for apple blossoms! Or are you gathering them as they fall....
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#4 nyeguy

nyeguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

I was planning on gathering them as they fall. I would never sacrafice the possible apples just to collect some blossoms! I'm also wondering about blending flowering crab with my crab apples and other blossoms. If I lose a few crab apples that won't be that big of a loss seeing as most of them go to waste anyways!
Mark in Rudolph

1+ gallons apple

#5 nyeguy

nyeguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

Looks like I will be creating my own!! wallbash.gif I'll keep ya all posted!
Mark in Rudolph

1+ gallons apple

#6 Myzootwo

Myzootwo

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking (of course), gardening, auctions, genealogy, work and family.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

Ok...I have gathered a few quarts myself, never made it before but it looks like we are both going into this together...
how about a white grape juice based recipe, 3/4 tsp. tannin, some nutrient, about 5 lbs. sugar...someone please jump in if I'm way off base, both me and nyeguy are virgins to apple blossom wine and need some guidance!

"Dare to be different! If everyone was the same the world would be a very boring place."

In the primarys: Skeeter Pee, Berry blend with chili peppers, Pom./concord/berry blend
In the secondarys: Crabapple X 3, Crabapple/Blueberry/Cherry Blend, Skeeter Pee X 3, Cranberry, Banana, Pear, Pear/crabapple/apple, Elderberry
Bottled: skeeter pee, cranapple, pomegranate tea/clover/panax ginseng leaf, blackberry/elderberry, sumac berry, cherry, cherry/berry mix, passion fruit, blackberry, elderberry, elderflower, elderberry blush, coffee, spiced apple, plum, blackberry blush,blueberry/pomegranite, coffee, cherry/pomegranite, cranberry, green tea & citrus, white grape/peach from concentrate, white grape raspberry from concentrate, apple (pressed fruit, concentrate, juice & cider) , strawberry, green tea, hard iced tea, banana, jalapeno and a bunch more I forgot, been at it for 20 years now smileytoast.gif

#7 nyeguy

nyeguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

I will probably start collecting in the next week here. They are just starting to open up now. I'm going to wait for some pollination to happen before I go collectin. The apples are more important then the wine!
Mark in Rudolph

1+ gallons apple

#8 Myzootwo

Myzootwo

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking (of course), gardening, auctions, genealogy, work and family.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:10 PM

Petals are falling off here, almost done. The few quarts I've collected is probably all I'm going to get this year. I have a crabapple to check yet, a bit far from here but I'll make sure to check on it this weekend.

"Dare to be different! If everyone was the same the world would be a very boring place."

In the primarys: Skeeter Pee, Berry blend with chili peppers, Pom./concord/berry blend
In the secondarys: Crabapple X 3, Crabapple/Blueberry/Cherry Blend, Skeeter Pee X 3, Cranberry, Banana, Pear, Pear/crabapple/apple, Elderberry
Bottled: skeeter pee, cranapple, pomegranate tea/clover/panax ginseng leaf, blackberry/elderberry, sumac berry, cherry, cherry/berry mix, passion fruit, blackberry, elderberry, elderflower, elderberry blush, coffee, spiced apple, plum, blackberry blush,blueberry/pomegranite, coffee, cherry/pomegranite, cranberry, green tea & citrus, white grape/peach from concentrate, white grape raspberry from concentrate, apple (pressed fruit, concentrate, juice & cider) , strawberry, green tea, hard iced tea, banana, jalapeno and a bunch more I forgot, been at it for 20 years now smileytoast.gif

#9 nyeguy

nyeguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

The darn wind picked up today just as the petals were starting to open. Checked them this evening and the majority of them were gone already off of my big tree. wallbash.gif Hope that this doesn't affect the apples!! Maybe I can get enough off of the crab apple tomorrow. Wish me luck!!
Mark in Rudolph

1+ gallons apple

#10 Briankos

Briankos

Hope I never stop learning!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1593 posts
  • Interests:Making wine and sharing it with friends around the firepit, fruit gardening, the outdoors, woodworking, muscle cars. THANKS TO ALL THE VETERANS!

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

Well guys and gals, I did spend some time looking through 12 of the winemaking and recipe books I have, and no Apple Blossom recipes... So the best guess I have, would be to make it like dandelion where you steep the petals...

Sorry I could not be more of a help...

Brian
Steven Wright: I made wine out of raisins so I wouldn't have to wait for it to age.

#11 nyeguy

nyeguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

That is what I was planning on doing, either that or use the recipe from some other flower recipe.
Mark in Rudolph

1+ gallons apple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users