• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

I have a big bag of "Microthiol wettable sulfur" and the label only give the doses/mixture amounts in pounds/acre. Does anyone use this out of a backpack or small tank sprayer? I'm looking for an amount per gallon, or per gallon and a half, etc. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

#2 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

Hey folks, sorry for the tripple post. My computer and me are not on good terms! I wrote to the mods asking them to remove the other 2 posts, so if there are any replies, please do it here. Thanks!

#3 oldjenx

oldjenx

Gone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1461 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

It took me a long time to understand this, and I'm not totally sure that I understand it now. Intuitively, we think "concentration" and it's really hard to see past that. Sulfur and other fungicides don't work that way. What counts is the amount of chemical that is deposited on the leaf. Water just carries it to the leaf and evaporates. It's up to you to determine how much water you need to carry it to the leaf.

Try this. Put a gallon of plain water into your sprayer and go spray. Get good coverage but not to runoff. That's excessive. Make note of how many vines you covered and measure the volume of the remainer of your test gallon. Use a little logic and arithmatic and you now know how much water you need to spray one vine. Now calculate how many vines you would have it you planted a full acre with your spacing. The formula is 43,560 divided by (the distance between vines multiplied by the distance between your rows). Multiply the amount of water per vine by the number of vines per acre and you know how many gallons of water would be needed to carry sulfur to one acre with your methods. Now divide pounds per acre of sulfur needed by your gallons per acre and the result is pounds per gallon needed for your sprayer.

One more thing needs to be covered. If you are in North America and want to determine the number of gallons of water needed to cover a vine, you need to wait three months to do the experiment. Pounds per acre and the amount of water that you need assumes a full canopy.

BTW I need abut 80 gallons of water per acre with my rig. I think I need about half that much when I use the back pack.

#4 Jimfound

Jimfound

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

I use sulphur powder, and I typically mix about 3-4 Tablespoons to a gallon per the instructions.
daily_20_356282

#5 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:25 AM

Thanks oldjenx. I'm not sure if that helps me though!

I just did the entire vineyard (about 50 vines) with less than 1 gallon, but vines are very small, in fact, some aren't even leafed out yet. Now if I fast forward 2 months when everything is growing like mad an my entire trellis is a sea of green, I won't even be able to do one row (or 1/5 the vineyard) with a gallon. I assume that the amount of chemicals per gallon should be the same no matter if you can do the entire vineyard with a gallon or if you need 5 gallons to do it all.

Is there some general rule of thumb for all chemicals that lets you convert from pounds per acre to tablesspoons or cups per gallon?

#6 oldjenx

oldjenx

Gone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1461 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:24 AM

I assume that the amount of chemicals per gallon should be the same no matter if you can do the entire vineyard with a gallon or if you need 5 gallons to do it all.

No. That's the hard part to understand. It is the amount of sulfur per acre that remains the same if you have a full canopy. As the season continues and your canopy gets larger and thicker, you probably need to add more and more water to get complete coverage. That means that the amount of sulfur per gallon goes down while you continue to spray the same amount of sulfur per acre.

In your current situation with much less than full canopy, you would have adjusted the amount of sulfur per acre according to your canopy's proportion to full. I am limited to my equipment's capability which is 4, 8, or 12 nozzles. So, now I calculate on the basis of 33% full canopy. I am now useing one third of the per acre chemical use specification. In a couple of weeks, I will have to go to 8 nozzles or 66%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users