• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15619 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:29 AM

I just pruned our Vanessa grapes yesterday. I have 6 seedless varieties and these seem to be the hardiest and least disease prone. It seems like nearly all seedless are very prone to mildew, but it hardly touched the Vanessa last year, their 3rd season. We picked just a couple grapes off them in '09 and they were very sweet, crisp and delicious.

Here's what Double A Vineyards catalog says about them:

"Vanessa Seedless Red
A red dessert grape of excellent quality. The vine is moderately vigorous and among the hardiest of seedless grapes. The flavor is mild and fruity; berry texture is firm and crisp. Hardy to zone 5."

They're a pretty vine. I'd recommend them to anyone wanting a variety of "dessert" grapes!

(I thought Vanessa might like to know there's a grape with her name. :) )
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#2 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the info, Wade. I've been thinking of planting some eating grapes for the kids. -Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#3 prairiegrapes

prairiegrapes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

Vanessa is a really nice red seedless grape that does well in colder climates ie zone 5 or better. It is from Vineland Ontario, Canada variety (Dr. Helen Fisher breeder). I first saw it as as an unnamed variety in the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia in the early 1980's. Its a very nice grape with very few problems. It was variety that was planted on a small scale in BC and Ontario. Good choice for seedless grape especially for cooler areas. It's a nice grape that woild do well in small or local plantings. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

KM

Attached Files

#4 VanessaQ

VanessaQ

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Making wine, making art, making websites

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

Vanessa is a really nice red seedless grape that does well in colder climates ie zone 5 or better. It is from Vineland Ontario, Canada variety (Dr. Helen Fisher breeder). I first saw it as as an unnamed variety in the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia in the early 1980's. Its a very nice grape with very few problems. It was variety that was planted on a small scale in BC and Ontario. Good choice for seedless grape especially for cooler areas. It's a nice grape that woild do well in small or local plantings. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

KM

Double A says they are out of stock! I'm going to be first in line for 2011, though. I'll bet it'll grow very well here and it just has the PRETTIEST name! :P
Vanessa Q.
17 Gewurz vines, Some blackberries surviving in the test garden (no rasp or elder, alas).
Raspberry Hydromel and Viognier in secondary. WE LE Brunello,WE LE Trio Blanca and Luna Rossa are clarifying.
In various stages: Blackberry, blueberry, Malbec kit, Prickly pear, Joe's Ancient Orange, Mountain wildflower/mesquite mead, "fin" Apple/Pom,Skeeter Pee, blackberry melomel, chai tead, more blackberry melomel, hot chile wine, cherry limeade "Pee".

#5 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:34 AM

Double A says they are out of stock! I'm going to be first in line for 2011, though. I'll bet it'll grow very well here and it just has the PRETTIEST name! :P

Because this vine was named after YOU, I felt you might like to know that Double A is not the only game in town!! I was at this site, researching vines National Grape Registry, once you get there, click on "I Accept," and a world will open up to you. Scroll down and click on Vanessa! There are links to vendors that sell it.

Good luck!
Suzi

#6 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15619 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:50 AM

Wow! Great site! Thanks Suzi!
I see Pense Nurseries sells Vanessa. I bought most of my blackberries from them. Good Folks and good plants!
Good Luck, Vanessa!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#7 VanessaQ

VanessaQ

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Making wine, making art, making websites

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Thanks, Suzi! And thanks for sending me a message so I wouldn't miss this info! smileytoast.gif
Vanessa Q.
17 Gewurz vines, Some blackberries surviving in the test garden (no rasp or elder, alas).
Raspberry Hydromel and Viognier in secondary. WE LE Brunello,WE LE Trio Blanca and Luna Rossa are clarifying.
In various stages: Blackberry, blueberry, Malbec kit, Prickly pear, Joe's Ancient Orange, Mountain wildflower/mesquite mead, "fin" Apple/Pom,Skeeter Pee, blackberry melomel, chai tead, more blackberry melomel, hot chile wine, cherry limeade "Pee".

#8 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

There is no grape named Suzi, or anything like that. So you are the queen!! Vanessa!! But if there is a Suzi grape, I'd like to know. Vanessa!! Did you find somebody that will sell you the vines? I wish you success!! Suz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users