• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 redwizard

redwizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

i have a couple triple crown,chester and ebony king. i was wanting to get a couple more but want good flavor too. i live between the border of zone 5&6. what would anyone suggest?? thanks

#2 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16388 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

I have 5 or 6 varieties including triple crown, chester and several with American Indian names. The triple crown far out-produced all the others last year, both with size and number of berries, and they produced all summer, it seemed like. All mine are going into their 3rd season this year.
As for flavor, I've never met a ripe blackberry that I didn't love!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#3 markalbob

markalbob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

sorry, can't comment on flavor, but if you have triple crown, give it SPACE. Tried growing in a corner of the raspberry patch and took it out three years later.......all six clumps of it. It's a weed that would put dandelions to shame.

that being said, if you have space, the fruit is good andit is a heavy producer........just needs a yard all it's own or aggressive pruning/maintenence to keep it from tip-rooting everyplace

#4 WVMountaineerJack

WVMountaineerJack

WVMJack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1462 posts
  • Interests:Growing a Wineyard full of Elderberry, Blackberry and Raspberry and Bees for Mead and Cider Apples

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

Some people say the old cultivated ones with the thorns are the best tasting, our thornless ones taste to good though that it just doesnt seem worth fooling around with the thorns. Our Triple crown has been the best yeilding and least attacked by diseases compared to the chester and those Indian named ones we also tried. Crackedcork zone 6

#5 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16388 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

My other varieties are Arapaho, Kiowa and Navajo. Might have got a couple berries off each last year, same with Chester, but Triple Crown was my work horse. And, yes, everywhere the canes touch they root! So I'm expanding! If I had it to do over, I'd plant a half acre of them.
I saw something recently about planting a solid field of blackberries, then mowing every other 6' with a bush hog, in strips the length of the field. Next year, mow the opposite 6', rotating every year. I guess a lot of commercial blackberry operations are done that way. I'd have to hire the Amish to pick!

#6 ScottNC

ScottNC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:16 AM

I haven't researched the blackberry. What is the their root system like? Shallow and spreading like blueberries or deep and penetrating? We have a spot we were going to put more blueberries in, right over our septic drainfield. The shallow rooted blueberries won't hurt a thing there. Wonder about blackberries? It sure would be nice to have a mess of blackberries without looking like you've been in a cat fight!

#7 Jack

Jack

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

I recommend Navaho for erect and Triple Crown for semi-erect. However, you have to care for these differently. Erects multiply by sending out runners. The new growth are primocanes, and in their second year become floricanes (berries grow on floricanes). You want to let the primocanes grow unless they are just too thick, in which case you would prune as necessary.

Triple Crown are semi-erect, which will will sprout new plants if you allow the tips to bury themselves into the ground. You don't want semi-erect or trailing varieties to expand. You only want those you planted to grow. For instance if you planted 6 semi-erect or trailing blackberry varieties, you only want those 6 to grow. Semi-erect/trailing blackberries also produce primocanes in their first year and floricanes in their second year. Both varieties need to be trellised. It is probably ok to let Triple Crown primocanes go and then trellis as floricanes... just make sure you keep the tips out of the ground.
Staircase Cellars

#8 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16388 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

Jack,
You are so right! I spent 3 hours this after-evening pruning my triple crown, and I know I'll end up fighting them with Round-up. I got enough cuttings to plant 2 acres! From maybe 40 plants. I think maybe that's the way to go. Tomorrow I'm planting them in a nursery and in July I'll sell a few hundred of them... or cover the Earth in them! Within a few seasons every single eskimo and grass-skirted hula dancer should be making wine from blackberries! World domination is within my grasp!!!!

#9 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16388 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:29 PM

Short of that, World relaxation or layedbackation may be in our grasp... someone please reply so I know I'm not on some isolated planet somewhere I've never heard of. Isabella's pretty good!

#10 ARCHER

ARCHER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Archery, Golf, Makin' wine

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:15 AM

AMEN Colonel Wade, I'm with ya'.
12 gal. Va. Merlot
5 gal. Cabernet sauvignon
12 gal. Sang., Cab Franc, Cab sauv. blend

#11 redwizard

redwizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:16 AM

i guess i will take some cuttings from my triple crown and start a new row. i opened a bottle of my blackberry wine made last summer and i know ineed to make more. does anybody have a ballpark range of how many pounds triple crown will produce when mature?

#12 Jack

Jack

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

I've had Navaho, Arapaho, and Apache (erects) for several years. I just planted Triple Crown this season, but I did a lot of research on them before planting. In regards to quantity of plants, I discovered that many folks had originally planted 4' - 6' apart, only to eventually move them to 8' - 10' apart. Therefore, I only planted 4 for the small area I have them in. I've seen pictures that are downright amazing. You see this full row of trellised blackberry canes and then notice the whole thing is only like 3 plants. It's kind of the opposite of growing erects. With erects, you want more and more canes to sprout up. With semi-erects/trailing, you only want the growth on the trellis so you want to stick to the number you planted or even cull if you've planted too many. You definitely don't want any additional plants to grow.
Staircase Cellars

#13 DrunkSkunk

DrunkSkunk

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:11 AM

My other varieties are Arapaho, Kiowa and Navajo. Might have got a couple berries off each last year, same with Chester, but Triple Crown was my work horse. And, yes, everywhere the canes touch they root! So I'm expanding! If I had it to do over, I'd plant a half acre of them.
I saw something recently about planting a solid field of blackberries, then mowing every other 6' with a bush hog, in strips the length of the field. Next year, mow the opposite 6', rotating every year. I guess a lot of commercial blackberry operations are done that way. I'd have to hire the Amish to pick!

Each year I pick wild blackberries. One of the fields where I pick get bushhogged right at the end of the blackberry season. The whole border of a sugar cane field is covered with vines until then. Been this way for 4 years now, ever since I found the patch so it may be even longer.

#14 mainebob

mainebob

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Location:next to the last house on a dead end dirt road, deep in the heart of Maine
  • Interests:Teach woodworking at EMCC, Chaplain at 2 jails, fly fish, tie flies, make fly rods, grapes & winemaking.

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

Has anyone had any experience with primocane fruiting blackberries?
I am expecting mine from Stark Bros any day now.
Do I mow them every year?
Bob
Chaplain Bob
Always making fruit wines from odd sources.Apple/grape/cherry,
Boysenberry/apple, pomegranate/blueberry, etc.
Bottle aging our first vintage from Valiant. "Prince Valiant the first '08"
Backyard vineyard with 75 vines. Mostly Swenson hybrids and MN
releases. Cold end of zone 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users