• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tpillot

tpillot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

I'm looking to buy fresh grapes this fall. I live In Detroit.

Does anyone know a good seller of grapes that ships to the Midwest?

How long before the grapes start to break down after they're picked?

Cheers

#2 grapenuts

grapenuts

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

I'm looking to buy fresh grapes this fall. I live In Detroit.

Does anyone know a good seller of grapes that ships to the Midwest?

How long before the grapes start to break down after they're picked?

Cheers

I get my grapes from M&M in hartford connecticut, I believe they delivery for large quantities. Give Frank Musto a call - very nice honest man with a great facility.

http://www.juicegrape.com/

#3 tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3694 posts
  • Interests:brewing, winemaking, soapmaking, cheesemaking: yes I'm clean smelling, flatulent, constipated and slightly inebriated

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

Surely theres a closer place, but you can get fresh grapes in Chicago. It'd be a day's trip but worth it. If grapes are properly refrigerated, they'll last for a couple of weeks at least.

Lennie
Primary: nada
Secondary: Concord, Cayuga, Traminette, Norton, Chambourcin
Barreled: WE SI Brunello, Dornfelder, Sangiovese/Merlot 3:1

#4 mcurley

mcurley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:56 PM

You can buy fresh grapes right in Detroit at Detroit Wine Grape Co. on Fort street. You can Goggle it or look in the phone book. They have many varieties, sent fresh by refrigirated truck. They will crush if requested for a fee. I got merlot and zin last year. Be prepared for a little wait time as they can be busy on weekends. I believe throught the fall they are open 7 days a week.
You can also get juice buckets and limited availability of fresh grapes at Macomb Vintner Supply. They have a web site. The proprietor "Joe" is a super nice guy. Highly recommend.

Mark

#5 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4007 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

You can cross the border and drive 3-4 hours to the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario. You can bring back fresh juice or must - up to $400.00 per person, which are classified as groceries. However, you can't bring back fresh grapes, as they are considered an agricultural product. I've had good experiences with Watson's in Niagara-On-The-lake and Wiley's in St. Catherines. While there you can also visit up to 80 wineries in the region.
Howie Hart

#6 aversas

aversas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

I live in Windsor Ontario Canada, which is across the border from Detroit MI. There are 3 suppliers that carry California Grapes in the fall. I purchase my grapes from Silverstein Produce which carries grapes from Central Valley/Lodi/Sierra Hills. ($30 to $35/ Case) There is also Borrelli Cellars and Borrelli Distributors which carry grapes from Central Valley/Lodi/Suisun Valley/Napa Valley. They all carry a wide variety of grapes Carignane/Old Vine Zinfandel/Alicante/Merlot/Cab Sauvignon/Grenache/Malvasia/Muscato/Ruby Cab/Sangiovese/ Pinot Noir Etc. The also sell White and Red Juice from these areas. Any of these places are no more then 10 mins from the border. You shouldn't have any problems bringing the grapes back across the border seeing that they come from California. You would probably just have to pay Duty if anything.

#7 BevArt

BevArt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi,
We are bring in fresh grapes in from Amador County, Lodi, and Suisun this year to Chicago. We are possibly bring some of the Washington Sate grapes in. We presently have frozen Riesling and Pinot Gris juice in from Washington. Our web site is http://bevart.com

#8 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9603 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

I just posted this on another thread, but do you offer onsite crushing services?

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#9 gwbod

gwbod

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Organ and tissue transplants save lives.

Harvested about 800# of grapes in 2013 from my personal vineyard on the farm.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

I second the California wine and grape on Fort Street in Detroit. I just stopped in for a visit to see where they were. They seem like a good company in a run down area.
Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users