4 replies to this topic

#1 bassmannate

bassmannate

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

I grew up in the deep south where pick your own type farms were plentiful and you could get all kinds of good fruit for next to nothing.

I can't seem to find anything like that around Chicago since moving here almost 2 years ago. Does anyone know of any place to go pick your own grapes in or near the north west suburbs?

#2 bluestreak

bluestreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

Have you tried calling any wineries near you? If not here's a link to the IGGVA website for wineries. Since the economy has turned bad there have been some vineyards that have been looking for buyers last season. Maybe talking to one of the wineries might turn something up for you.

#3 ChapstickCharlie

ChapstickCharlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Mushroom hunting, ice fishing, blues.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Bassmanate I can link you up with both of the local home winemaking clubs in your area. They should be able to point you toward all the closest opportunities. Send me an IM.

CC
Panic is easier on the body than the short handled shovel.

#4 bassmannate

bassmannate

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

Have you tried calling any wineries near you? If not here's a link to the IGGVA website for wineries. Since the economy has turned bad there have been some vineyards that have been looking for buyers last season. Maybe talking to one of the wineries might turn something up for you.

I'll have to ask around. I think most of the wineries I visit import vinifera grapes from out west but there are a few around here that use cold hardy hybrids

Bassmanate I can link you up with both of the local home winemaking clubs in your area. They should be able to point you toward all the closest opportunities. Send me an IM.

CC

Sent

#5 moogambo

moogambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

There is a place in Oswego, down the road from fox valley winery, but is concord grapes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users