14 replies to this topic

#1 dochal

dochal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:50 AM

Hello Wine Lovers,

I come to you today on finding some info on investing in a winery. I am a wine love to heart. I grew up drinking wine and over the years have grown to truely love the complexity of wine. I am trying to find out how to go about to invest in a winery that is up and coming inthe wine business. If anyone could help me out with this it would be great.

Thanks,

Hal Stallwood

#2 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9640 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

Hal,

Welcome. I traced your IP address (standard procedure for first time posters who don't specify their location) and it shows as originating in Lebanon.

Is that where you're looking to invest?

I'm also moving this topic to the "Small Wineries & Vineyards and Commercial Wines" area of the forum.

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#3 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6937 posts
  • Interests:Turning can't into done.

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

Let me send you all my bank account information and you can deposit the money straight away. Sounds like a great deal to me!

Steve, Garagiste

Manufacturer of IntelliTanks at
www.Catalyst-Manufacturing.com

Author of The Homebuilt Winery 

#4 surlees

surlees

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

Steve,
I'd like in on this opportunity as well. I can only invest $100,000US right now, but should be able to come up with more later.

Fred

#5 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

Let me guess...you will send the money in some form of untraceable funds and you will want me to forward a portion of that to another offshore bank account to cover some of your investment expenses?

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#6 dochal

dochal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

Steve,

Sorry about not putting my location............I live in Washington State just outside of Seattle..............but I am currently in Afganhastan, i am in the US ARMY so that is why my ip address comes up Lebonon.....................I am looking at investing in WA and any help anyone could give would be great........I also have a culinary arts degree and prior to joining the Army I worked as a Chef in SW Fla for 6 yrs so I also have this going for me if anyone wants a parttime chef at there winery or store to prepare meals for there tasting's. Again thanks for any help you all can give me.

Hal

Hal,

Welcome. I traced your IP address (standard procedure for first time posters who don't specify their location) and it shows as originating in Lebanon.

Is that where you're looking to invest?

I'm also moving this topic to the "Small Wineries & Vineyards and Commercial Wines" area of the forum.

#7 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9640 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hi again Hal,

Sorry for some of the snarky replies, including my own, but you just can't be too careful these days. We probably delete a few dozen spam postings a week on this board, and the ones originating from overseas are the most suspicious.

I looked you up on facebook and you seem to be legit. I even found a "Care packages for Hal" group with your APO (I'm guessing mom or dad set that up? :)).

Anyway... I'd like to say thanks for serving, and I hope you can find what you're looking for on WinePress. We're a pretty friendly group here. smileytoast.gif

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#8 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16138 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

Hal,
I'll bet that if you do a search for State Winery Organizations in Washington, Oregon or Idaho (or whatever state) you can find lists of all the wineries in that state. Contacting those wineries might find you the right situation for investing or even partnering.
Thanks for what you're doing in service to our Country!
Wade
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#9 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13344 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi Hal,
Welcome to WinePress and thank you for serving.

My advice is to be patient and start networking as soon as possible. Be open minded and think outside of the box. It might not be cash that a winery needs most. There are a lot of winemakers that have the skills, fruit and enough cash for the equipment but they have nowhere to call home. Maybe adding your signature to the financial statement and business plan means a better or bigger operating credit line.

Join some local viticulture and enolgy groups and let them know you are looking to start a winery. You'd be surprised at how popular you will become! Look for wineries that are operating under or in less than ideal conditions. These are the guys that would be most receptive to you.

Good luck to you and stay safe.
Greg
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#10 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hi Hal,

Sorry for the cynicism, your original post seemed a bit scam like plus I am naturally a skeptic and a smart a$$. I found it funny that the two people who lashed out the most were both from the Seattle area and then you turned out to be from there as well. I am in Burlington about 60 miles North of Seattle. When you make it back to the real world look me up. I don't need any investors but I am always looking for friends of the winery. What do you do for the military? Interesting transition from chef to Army.

Alan

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#11 rawlus

rawlus

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

the way to make a little money in the wine business is to start with alot of money.

#12 dochal

dochal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

Alan,

No problem with the cynicism, you have to look out for the scum that are trying to scam money form people. Hey I grew up outside of Boston so the whold wise a$$ thing is what im use to,lol......I am a combat medic for the army and the switch was do to me working over 100 hrs a week for about 5 yrs and I got reallt burnt out, but man do I miss the business. So I've decided to go the wine route and see what kind of adventures it can take me on. I will look you up when I get back to WA.

Hal

Hi Hal,

Sorry for the cynicism, your original post seemed a bit scam like plus I am naturally a skeptic and a smart a$$. I found it funny that the two people who lashed out the most were both from the Seattle area and then you turned out to be from there as well. I am in Burlington about 60 miles North of Seattle. When you make it back to the real world look me up. I don't need any investors but I am always looking for friends of the winery. What do you do for the military? Interesting transition from chef to Army.

Alan

#13 Guest_vineyardsforsaleblog.com_*

Guest_vineyardsforsaleblog.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:44 PM

Not sure yet what wine properties go for in the US. But you can get some steals in South America and some european countries. Could that be an option?

Just have a search around the net initially for vineyards, and see what pops up. Then you can sort of zero in on what regions fit your price range, and the regions you like most.

#14 Hollywood Hill Vineyards

Hollywood Hill Vineyards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Interests:Grapegrowing and winemaking of course!

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hal, being an owner of a winery in Washington state, I'll gladly take your money! Just kidding... it's going to be hard to invest in a winery while you are in Afganistan. But if you are really interested in investing in a winery, many of them are looking for money. The best way to do that is go around to wineries trying to meet the owners and see if you make a connection and if there is a mutually beneficial situation that you can work out. It just takes some time and money...

Steve Snyder
Owner/Winemaker/Grower
www.hollywoodhillvineyards.com

#15 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Welcome to the forum, Hal. And thanks for your military service. -Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users