#1 Leo Sperrazza

Leo Sperrazza

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, photography, cars

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

I am considering purchasing some property in North East PA, it borders the Susquehanna River, I was pewviously a farm, I am wondering what types of grape would grow best in this climate, and take into consideration the water may flood the plants from time to time. Will grape vines survive flooding? ANy ideea where to look for addional info on soil suitability?

Thanks
Broad Street Winery

#2 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4098 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Northeast PA is near Erie, which is nowhere near the Susquehanna. I drive through Erie and Northeast from time to time and have relatives in Tunkhannock, which is on the Susquehanna. Probably 300 miles apart.
EDIT: Sorry, I was confused. You are talking about the northeastern part of PA. However, I would never plant grapes in a flood plain.
Howie Hart

#3 Leo Sperrazza

Leo Sperrazza

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, photography, cars

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

Correct Northeastern part of Penna, not Northeast PA. I am just wondering if grape vines survive flood?
Broad Street Winery

#4 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

Not to be negative, but I would also never plant vines in a flood plain. You stand to lose your vines after all that time, energy, and money invested. I wouldn't even consider it in a plot with a shallow water table (water within 6 feet or so from the surface). -Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#5 rpage53

rpage53

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1587 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

I would speak with a vineyard owner in your area.
http://www.pennsylva...om/Default.aspx

Rick.

#6 Crazy Run Ranch

Crazy Run Ranch

_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4217 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:33 AM

Every few years the Russian River flows over its banks and floods hundreds of acres of vines. Some muture vines even completely submerge with no damage to the vine or the coming years crop. But they are dormant at the time. If done during the growing season I'm sure it would be a mess. There's even a new winery called Floodgate in an area where flooding is common. They did build the winery on a hill smileytoast.gif

#7 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16115 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

I've sure read that vines don't like wet feet. I suppose it would depend on how long they were under and what time of year, as Crazy Run Ranch points out. Of course, his grapes are in CA and they might appreciate a good soaking there more than they would in PA. If it was warm and sunny afterwards, vs. cold and damp, it could make a huge difference on disease pressure. And if his sunny spot is sandy soil that hardly holds moisture and yours is clay that hardly releases moisture once it's saturated, that would make a huge difference.
Personally, I'd avoid a flood plain.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#8 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Well, if you are anything like me, you'll plant them in those big cloth containers, then move them when a flood comes! I'm space deficient, so I plant some in containers, and they do just fine. The cloth containers rock. They give aeration and allow the roots to spread, not circle. Google it. http://www.rootmaker...ainers.php#jump

#9 PAwine-o

PAwine-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

I think you'll like this (at least I do):

www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/maps/map7.pdf

The just check out your USDA Zone. That should help you to narrow your choices.
Duct tape'll fix it!

5 gal chardonnay from grapes.
10 gal cab sauv from grapes.

#10 D&S

D&S

What are you lookin' at?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

Leo,

There is a Mid-Atlantic Grape Growers Guide available on line that I've found helpful: http://www.ces.ncsu....rces/winegrape/
I believe there is a newer version available for a fee but this one is free. Also visit Bruce Zoecklein's site at Virginia Tech. He sometimes deals with mid-Atlantic topics. Regarding vinifera varieties, you see a fair amount of Cab franc here along with some Cab Sauv. Among the hybrids, Chambourcin seems prevalent.

I don't want to discourage you from seeking out the PA extension services or local wineries, but here in SE PA, I have found them to be useless.

#11 Chano Aguayo

Chano Aguayo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1301 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

I am considering purchasing some property in North East PA, it borders the Susquehanna River, I was pewviously a farm, I am wondering what types of grape would grow best in this climate, and take into consideration the water may flood the plants from time to time. Will grape vines survive flooding? ANy ideea where to look for addional info on soil suitability?

Thanks

First of all, grapes do not like "wet feet" I too handled a mature vineyard flooded by tributaries of the Russian River on those heavy rainy years and paddled a canoe occasionally over the vineyard to move heavy floating logs away from the vineyard so these would not rest on the vines and trellis wires once water receded. After the rainy days were over, had to pump any standing water out of the vineyard to prevent excess canopy growth and allow cultural preactices with equipment.

Chano
Vineyard Prunology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users