Recipe For Chocolate Raspberry Port

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 White cobra

White cobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Making sweet home made wine. FTA! Student pilot.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:09 AM

I have been looking around for a recipe for a Chocolate Raspberry Port, but can't find 1. Have found 1 for Chocolate Strawberry Port from Jack's site, but it is fortified /w brandy. I don't want to do it that way, since it is illegal to fortify a wine. Also not sure I could find a chocolate extract in my area, but could use extra cocoa power. I would be using a raspberry puree, distillers yeast, and Hershey's cocoa. Where and what should I tweek to come up /w something close to the kit that everyone is raving about? Here is the recipe from Jack's site:

3 Gallon recipe
15 lbs Fresh Strawberries diced up
7 1/2 lbs White Table Sugar
3 tsp Acid Blend
1/2 tsp Tannin
2 cups Ghirardelli or Hershey's Cocoa Powder
3 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer
3 Gallons Water
1/8 tsp Liquid Pectic Enzyme
1/8 tsp K-Meta
These are extra ingredients for after wine is stable.
8 ounces Liquid Chocolate Extract
3 Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Mix
2 lbs White Table Sugar added to 1 Cup Boiling Water
14 ounces Monin Strawberry Syrup
1 Pint E&J Brandy
Pour 1 gallon of warm water in 5 gallon primary bucket or bigger. Add K-meta, Tannin, Yeast Energizer, Yeast Nutrient, and Ascorbic Acid and stir well. Put all fruit in fermenting bag and squeeze over primary to extract most of juices and then put bag in primary. Pour the 1 gallon of boiling water with all dissolved sugar over fruit. Add another 3/4 gallon of cool water in. Take 4 cups of water and the 2 cups of Cocoa powder and mix in blender on low speed and then add this to primary and stir well. You should have a SG of around 1.110 give or take a little, if more then add a little more water, if less then add a little more dissolved sugar in small amount of water as sugars from fruit can vary a little. Let sit for 12 hours with lid loose or with a cloth covering bucket with elastic band or string tied around so as that not to sag in must. After those 12 hours add your Pectic Enzyme and wait another 12 hours while also adjusting your must temp to around 75 degrees. After those twelve hours, pitch your yeast either by sprinkling yeast, dehydrating yeast per instructions on back of yeast Sachet, or by making a yeast starter a few hours prior to the 12 hour mark. At this point either leave primary lid off with the cloth again, place lid on loose or snap the lid shut with airlock. Punch down cap twice daily to get all fruit under the liquid level. When SG reaches 1.015, rack to 6 gallon carboy and let finish fermenting with bung and airlock attached. When wine is done fermenting, (check a few days in a row to make sure SG does not change and SG should be around .998 or less), you can stabilize your wine now with 1/8 tsp of K-Meta powder and 1 1/2 tsp of Potassium Sorbate. At this Point I took all extra ingredients listed above and stirred it all in well and then add the wine to it and stir that in and add fining agent the transfer back to glass at which point you will have approximately 3 1/2 gallons. When cleared, rack off lees and bottle or bulk age with another 1/4 tsp of k-meta.

#2 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9631 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (White cobra @ Nov 10 2009, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been looking around for a recipe for a Chocolate Raspberry Port, but can't find 1. Have found 1 for Chocolate Strawberry Port from Jack's site, but it is fortified /w brandy. I don't want to do it that way, since it is illegal to fortify a wine.

Fortifying wine isn't illegal. Where did you hear that?

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#3 White cobra

White cobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (NorthernWiner @ Nov 10 2009, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fortifying wine isn't illegal. Where did you hear that?

I though I read that here . Besides that, I don't like a very "hot" wine.

#4 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15985 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

"Fortifying" is like mixing rum and coke, completely legal, even though you fortified the coke with rum. Distilling is illegal.
I'm normally not crazy about high alcohol wines either, but that's kind of the nature of Port as I understand it. I think any fruit that has huge flavor will make a good port, the flavor carrying the alcohol content to a pleasant level.
Looks like a great recipe! I'll have to try it!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#5 White cobra

White cobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Wade's Wines @ Nov 10 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Fortifying" is like mixing rum and coke, completely legal, even though you fortified the coke with rum. Distilling is illegal.

Ok, I understand that now, but do the kits have to be fortified? With the price of the kits being so high( & if you can find some place /w it in stock), I was wanting to try and make 1 while keeping the price down. Having a higher SG would keep from having to buy some brandy thus keeping the price down. A little more sugar is cheeper than the brandy.

#6 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15985 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Most Folks ferment it as high as it will go, maybe 17%+, then sweeten and fortify. It will only ferment so high. You can make the same wine at 12 or 14% and not fortify. It'll be delicious, just not carry the same kick. A little more sugar won't push the alcohol content where the Brandy can take it!

#7 Johnnash

Johnnash

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Location:On the edge of the Highland Rim of the Cumberland Plateau in the hills of Tennessee
  • Interests:Family, Food, Gardening, Wine making, Hunting

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

A little more suger will only work up to the capacity of your yeast to survive in the alcohol it creates. 17 to maybe 19 % if you choose a champagne yeast intended to work in that range. Port style wines, as I understand it are intended to be slow fed to a sweet death for the yeast and then are fortified to the desired ABV, 21 to 28% I believe. I have sampled some amature ports that were made in port fashion without the fortification and they were very pleasant for example the chocolate orange I am about to attempt. I also have tried commercial ports that were not at all pleasant they were simply too sweet and too ABV instead of being both sweet and high ABV at the same time. I think the long aging is more intended to give the high alcohol time to marry the high suger than anything.

Am I rambling?

Surgery on the 5th, doc said no drinking untill I am off the blood thinners, I think I am having wine withdraws.
This is too good.....

#8 White cobra

White cobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:11 AM

Update: I started a batch using above recipe. I also ordered the CRP kit. I tasted the kit as I started it and it tasted like a Welches grape concentrate, just not watered down as much. I've read the chocolate flavor is in the f-pack. I didn't know yeast like cocoa, because it is bubbling faster than the kit. I will compare when they finish and adjust my recipe if needed. The kit had a SG of 1.136 and recipe was 1.134.

#9 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4007 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

Nice side by side you've got going... will be interesting to see the final results!!

Debbie
smileytoast.gif
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

#10 sbl

sbl

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Fruit wines

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

I made a kit last fall and I am drinking a glass right now--it is great! I will be ordering 2 kits next time! I am interested in how your recipe turns out.
Bulk aging/clarifying; Merlot, Chocolate Raspberry Port.
Bottled: Blueberry, Choc. Raspberry Port, Stags Leap Cab, Elderberry, Fig, Coastal Red, Bergamais, Merlot, Barolo, Lodi Ranch 11, Napa River Ranch Cab.

#11 White cobra

White cobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

I made a kit last fall and I am drinking a glass right now--it is great! I will be ordering 2 kits next time! I am interested in how your recipe turns out.

As of now, both are bulk ageing. The kit fg is 1.023 and the 1 I made fg is 1.020. Going to let the both age for about 6 months before doing a taste test as to let the cocoa oil melow out. The cocoa power does give off a bad smell during fermentation, but have read it will melow out /w age.

#12 Dakota Lady

Dakota Lady

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Cobra,

This sounds fantastic. I did make the Chocolate Raspberry kit and it is AWESOME! Well will chocolate anything...you can't go wrong. roflmao.gif I will be watching for your results on these ports as I would like to try a recipe like yours after I get a few more completed that I have waiting in line.

Good luck!
Country Charm Wines

64 - Heavy Body Apple Wine
63 - Tulip Wine
62 - Rose Petal Wine
61 - Lilac Wine
60 - Lilac Wine (with white grape concentrate)
59 - Twisted Mist Strawberry Margarita
58 - Strawberry Skeeter Pee
57 - Barolo/Merlot Skeeter Pee
56 - Blueberry/Elderberry Skeeter Pee
55 - Apple/Rhubarb/Pineapple

~Tangula~

#13 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

Has anyone tried using the higher grade choclate powders? also known as "dutch choco"
It has about 25% more solids then the baking grade powder, its said that you can cut down the amount by half and get a more powerful flavour and aroma.
The question is when it comes to fermentation, does the quality matters?
Its about 40% more expenssive then the regular powder.

Has anyone done comparisons between
70% Dark bitter choclate
Premium choco powder
Cheap choco powder

If I were into tatoos... I would tatoo some grapes on my forarm. :P

#14 Smashed Thumb Winery

Smashed Thumb Winery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Family, Insurance, Gardening, Jesus Christ, Winemaking! :)

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

As of now, both are bulk ageing. The kit fg is 1.023 and the 1 I made fg is 1.020. Going to let the both age for about 6 months before doing a taste test as to let the cocoa oil melow out. The cocoa power does give off a bad smell during fermentation, but have read it will melow out /w age.

Have you tasted them yet? I would love to hear the results!

#15 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15985 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

I've decided to go with Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa in my recipe, which is "a blend of Natural and Dutched Cocoas". Still trying to figure out when my schedule will allow me to start! It will be using 2nd run Chambourcin grape pulp, Dark Cocoa and Raspberries.
My CR Port kit is just about ready for its' F-Pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users