• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cbw

cbw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

Ok, I'm new to this ... but I'm amazed at how many things I now worry about that I never even thought about before I starting making wine.

We now have two kits bottled .... 58 bottles ... (we took our time, took care to degass, etc)(as best we could with our limited newby wine making skills).

The bottles are safely stored in the basement ... but I find myself checking the bottled wine several times a day ... (and fight the urge to go down at look at it hourly).

I find myself checking the wine more often than I checked our first born child ... and worry more about the bottles than I worried when our daughter went out of her first date (not the third date).

But to make a long story short ....

There is nothing that indicates a bottle is going to leak or blow or shoot a cork across the room.

But I'm wondering ... from your vast experience ...

Is there a particular "danger" period when a calamity is apt to happen? Or can it happen anytime, anyplace.

If a cork doesn't leak in the first couple of weeks ... or a cork doesn't push out in the first month ... can I quit worrying?

Speaking of worrying ... my grandkids now play in the room with 4 or 5 carboys bubbling and aging in the same basement room. They found, and were shooting, some old "pop" guns that shoot out ping-pong balls. Gotta tell you, hearing a pop behind me gave me concern. Ha! (I know, I know, courting danger by letting the kids play in that room, but they wanted to be down with grandpa, who, you guessed it, was checking his wine.)

Over the years, I spent a lot of my money on wine, women and song ... The rest of my money, I just wasted.

#2 Fishnwine

Fishnwine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Interests:Love to fish the Skeena river for salmon. Brew both beer and wine

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (cbw @ Oct 17 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I'm new to this ... but I'm amazed at how many things I now worry about that I never even thought about before I starting making wine.

We now have two kits bottled .... 58 bottles ... (we took our time, took care to degass, etc)(as best we could with our limited newby wine making skills).

The bottles are safely stored in the basement ... but I find myself checking the bottled wine several times a day ... (and fight the urge to go down at look at it hourly).

I find myself checking the wine more often than I checked our first born child ... and worry more about the bottles than I worried when our daughter went out of her first date (not the third date).

But to make a long story short ....

There is nothing that indicates a bottle is going to leak or blow or shoot a cork across the room.

But I'm wondering ... from your vast experience ...

Is there a particular "danger" period when a calamity is apt to happen? Or can it happen anytime, anyplace.

If a cork doesn't leak in the first couple of weeks ... or a cork doesn't push out in the first month ... can I quit worrying?

Speaking of worrying ... my grandkids now play in the room with 4 or 5 carboys bubbling and aging in the same basement room. They found, and were shooting, some old "pop" guns that shoot out ping-pong balls. Gotta tell you, hearing a pop behind me gave me concern. Ha! (I know, I know, courting danger by letting the kids play in that room, but they wanted to be down with grandpa, who, you guessed it, was checking his wine.)

First thing is relax sit down and have a drink. The only time any one needs to worry about corks blowing is if they did not allow the wine to finish ferment,Added sugar with out stabilizing first or if improperly degassed and there is a rise in temperature.My guess is your baby's will be fine.
Robert Broome
Owner: Wine N Suds U-Brew & Home Brewing Supplies
www.winensuds.com
winesuds@telus.net
RJSpagnols Dealer

#3 tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3721 posts
  • Interests:brewing, winemaking, soapmaking, cheesemaking: yes I'm clean smelling, flatulent, constipated and slightly inebriated

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:36 PM

I've had fermentation take back off a couple times on wines that had a little residual sugar. One actually blew the cork and spewed its contents on the basement floor. It took several months before the first bottle went, but when I looked at the others in this batch they had some wine oozing through pores in the cork. This was a fruit wine, not a kit. I've had a couple fruit wines do this, never a kit.

You can relax. I, on the other hand, just found out my daughter got a tattoo. She said it was small and on her arm. I just saw a pic she sent my wife and its across her entire back.

Lennie

Fermenting: 
Barreled: Sangiovese, Norton, Chambourcin

Carboys:  Cayuga, Traminette

#4 mg1

mg1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

First off it seems you have a problem that problem is your just like many of us , you go to bed at night what do you think about wink.gif thats right your wine when you wake in the morning what do you think about wink.gif thats right your wine most of us are VERY compulsive your not the only one , I have made thousands of bottles and had not one cork blow out ( YOU BETTER NOT JINKS ME ) laugh.gif

#5 cbw

cbw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

>>when you go to bed, what do you think about .... when you wake up, what do you think about.

I. er, ummm, I'm thinking about how much I love my wife ... and how I can make her happier ... now, I happen to always be down by my wine racks and carboys, but I'm only, only thinking about my wife. Always, yes, I am. Even when I'm online looking for the next wine kit, or shopping at my local Home Brewing shop ... I'm only thinking about my wife.

I can see how you might think I'm always thinking about my wine ... but, honest, I'm thinking about my wife. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it ... particularly since my wife might be reading this.
Over the years, I spent a lot of my money on wine, women and song ... The rest of my money, I just wasted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users