#61 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, Cycling and Arm chair with friends

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

By the way, I have enjoyed sitting back and reading all of your posts on this topic. What a interesting and imaginative group of people!!!! Really!!!

Chandy- Hi- welcome- don't read everything you believe- there are some normal people here, dunno where- but trust me... there were...

I vote for apple Pomme-
however of all the wines I have done- Pomme stopped, and after several attempts never restarted...
which all means- I need to do another one...

Putting "the Country" in Wine Country.

my blog ---> Den Of Uniquity

#62 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15876 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

I think you can buy pomegranate juice in the grocery store. They also have them fresh sometimes in the store. If you can find a fresh one, buy it and have some fun! Very juicy, stain everything red. Wonderful flavor! I have 10 young pomegranate bushes to plant!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#63 Vitruviano

Vitruviano

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Red Wine Travel in the Mediterranean History of W Civilization Geneaolgy Science Classical Art

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

Wow - love reading all the new posts! Hi Chandy - welcome to the forum. I was at a whiskey tasting this evening. If the EOW wine doesn't do it I have some damn fine sour mash as back-up!

I'll cast my vote for Apple Pomgrenade as well. I tried some taste testing with apple pom vs peach pom and the apple pom was far superior and my winner. I have a number of Vietnamese everbearing pomgrenades nearing ripeness from the one tree I have on the property. I also recall some recipes here or on Jack Keller. Anybody have a favorite to share? luxhello.gif

#64 Chandy

Chandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome! I have bought pomegranates in the produce section of my grocery store for my children. You really do not eat the fruit itself, you suck on the seeds and eat the jelly seed coverings. You can eat the seeds, they are very peppery (hot). I have also purchased Pome' juice. It is also usually sold in the produce section. Very good and tart! It is suppose to be extremely healthy. biggrin.gif

#65 Dakota Lady

Dakota Lady

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

I vote for apple pomegranite. luxhello.gif
Country Charm Wines

64 - Heavy Body Apple Wine
63 - Tulip Wine
62 - Rose Petal Wine
61 - Lilac Wine
60 - Lilac Wine (with white grape concentrate)
59 - Twisted Mist Strawberry Margarita
58 - Strawberry Skeeter Pee
57 - Barolo/Merlot Skeeter Pee
56 - Blueberry/Elderberry Skeeter Pee
55 - Apple/Rhubarb/Pineapple

~Tangula~

#66 graywolf97

graywolf97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

Well, I don't have an exact count, but I would say that Apple-Pomegranate wins in a landslide. I bought some Pom Wonderful juice (100% juice, no preservatives) at the store yesterday and a 12oz can of apple juice concentrate. I am going to mess around with proportions and see what works best. I spoke to wade and he is going to do the same. Once that is finished we can address the addition of/adjustment of other ingredients. There are plenty of people on here more skilled than i am so please offer any and all advice you may have.

#67 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

I don't have an exact count -

can we have a re-count??
biggrin.gif

please offer any and all advice you may have.

opens a can of worms- smile.gif

#68 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15876 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:49 AM

I bought a 48 oz. bottle of POM 100% Pomegranate juice from the cooler section of juices (next to orange juice in cartons) for $9.96, 4 one-gallon and 2 half gallon glass jugs full of apple cider from a local produce stand, $9.99 a gallon and $5.99 a half gallon, 2 fresh pomegranates ($1.88 each at Walmart) and 20# of sugar. Next step, figuring out a recipe.
I bought the cider in glass jugs so I'd have the jugs. The price was $2 a gallon higher than last year!
I had intended on not making any more wine this year... in '08 I made 140 gallons, just hit that mark for '09 and said, "That's it!" It looks like it'll be 145 gallons for the year. A new record for me in over-indulgence! I think this will be a very interesting blend!
I'll post the recipe when I get started making it this afternoon. But it looks like I'll have about $66 in 5 gallons, or $6.66 per half gallon. Yikes! Now I'm rattled a little! roflmao.gif I just won't bottle it in half gallon jugs, that should fix it!
Wade

p.s. Chef Neil, you might need to toss a few dozen Habaneros in yours! Make it hot as H E double L ! lmao.gif

#69 Vitruviano

Vitruviano

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Red Wine Travel in the Mediterranean History of W Civilization Geneaolgy Science Classical Art

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

I count 15 new pomegrenades on the tree - not enough to do anything but flavor the blend. There is a middle east supermarket just north of me that has jugs of pom juice that is inexpensive - like $3.00 a gallon but the color is brown - I don't think that sulfite was used - just pasteurized. I'll have to add another juice for a richer color. What color are we going for anyway - ruby, garnet, blush? unsure.gif

#70 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3965 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

Well, I have NO carboys for this challenge. Our new winemaking club is having a challenge to be tasted next year in Nov... Hibiscus... we had some at our first meeting and it was wonderful. We will all make a hibiscus wine... no rules... and will have a taste test! Should be fun.
I got 55# of grapes dropped off the other night, and that finished off my carboys.

I'll be watching you all though!!

It might be a little expensive for some to try, though.

Debbie
smileytoast.gif
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

#71 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:15 PM

Deb-
do a 2 gallon batch and use two - 1 gal apple juice jugs...
Most of my batches are 2 galls.
since it is an apple/pomme- I'm gonna use 1 gallon AJ. 1 qt. pomme juice and
OOps- supposed to be waiting for recipe... <chef kicks ground>

never mind me- i was samplin my new wine.. pinot/merlot- ewwwBOY~! that is good stuff! it's under 1.000 and still unstrained/pressed..

#72 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15876 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:31 AM

Deb,
Neil's got it right. If you can find gallons of apple cider in glass, use the jugs for the wine. Make 1 or 2 gallons. They sell small containers of the POM too, just about right, probably, for a gallon or 2 gallon batch. And you'll be happy to have the extra gallon jugs in the future!

Neil, Go ahead and figure out a recipe! I'll get one going today and post what I did, wrong or right. Feel free to do the same!

Wade

#73 pcolb

pcolb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests: Wine Making, Reefing, Truck Driving &quot;32 Years and getting Younger&quot; and My Family!

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

Ok here's my 2 cents. Make a Apple Jack....
Apple for the forbidden fruit
Jack for the media Jacking us around about 2012...

Just a Thought!
Really Awful Terrible Wine- Ask for it by name!!!!

#74 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

The term "applejack" derives from "jacking", a term for freeze distillation.

pcolb-
I did this unintentionally with my peach mead- and posted it here- thinking how cool-

(disclaimer- it was the last of the jug, when racking I pulled up some lees, so thought if I was to chill it it would settle quicker- and I could get a glass of mead by end of day-instead of jus' tossing- however- I fergot, and the container was pushed to back, later found)

apparently the US. gov. says it is illegal- and chattin here about it gets WP into trouble
SHHHH!!!!! wink.gif

wade- I'll start my homework tonight smile.gif

#75 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

p.s. Chef Neil, you might need to toss a few dozen Habaneros in yours! Make it hot as H E double L !

Now ya gone andunnit..

I was sticking to the assigned job... sitting patiently, was thinkin' get the recipe- go to store and hold steady...
this puts a whole new twist into the idea... luxhello.gif

it ain' easy being me smileyhelp.gif I'm gonna have to use asterisks on my labels biggrin.gif

(what would your EOW. wine be??- I'm thinking black licorice )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users