Photo

Difference Between Apple Wine And Apple Cider?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nickfox45

nickfox45

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

I'm looking for some info on the difference between apple wine and apple cider, and can't seem to find anything reliable online that I'd trust for an answer. My best guess is that apple cider has a lower alcohol content than wine, but I'm not sure if that's true. Please enlighten me!

Thanks!

#2 White cobra

White cobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Making sweet home made wine. FTA! Student pilot.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (nickfox45 @ Sep 22 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking for some info on the difference between apple wine and apple cider, and can't seem to find anything reliable online that I'd trust for an answer. My best guess is that apple cider has a lower alcohol content than wine, but I'm not sure if that's true. Please enlighten me!

Thanks!

Apple wine has alcohol and apple cider does not. Im not sure but I think apple cider is apple juice that has been pasteurized.

#3 shuzensoxon

shuzensoxon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Building wind chimes and other original engineered musical instruments. Making apple wine.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (White cobra @ Sep 22 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apple wine has alcohol and apple cider does not. Im not sure but I think apple cider is apple juice that has been pasteurized.

Well... only in the U.S. does "apple cider" mean an apple drink without alcohol. What we call "cider" is "apple juice" elsewhere.

The basic difference between apple wine and what Americans call "hard cider" is the alcohol content. Apple wine, like grape wine, is near 12%, while cider is closer to beer, maybe 5 to 8%.

#4 JSALBEE

JSALBEE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (shuzensoxon @ Sep 22 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well... only in the U.S. does "apple cider" mean an apple drink without alcohol. What we call "cider" is "apple juice" elsewhere.

The basic difference between apple wine and what Americans call "hard cider" is the alcohol content. Apple wine, like grape wine, is near 12%, while cider is closer to beer, maybe 5 to 8%.

Agreed on the apple cider vs. apple juice clarification. All alcoholic apple cider (or hard cider) was called cider prior to prohibition. During prohibition is when people began referring to apple juice as apple cider. Today it depends on who you talk to on how people use the terms. A lot of home brewers and winemakers use apple juice for non-alc. and apple cider, or hard cider for the alcoholic. I always use the terms hard cider and apple juice just to avoid confusion.

Some states have laws regarding cider vs. wine. Mosty for taxing purposes. I know the state of Wisconsin sets it at 7% or less for cider and anything over 7% is considered wine.

#5 MiTreats

MiTreats

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

JSALBEE- yep, I found that distinction too which is why I'm calling my first attempt apple wine. To get the alcohol content up to 12% the sugar level needs to be raised, whereas just fermenting the apple juice alone will probably get you the 5%-7% abv.

I also want to avoid the term "hard cider" because this sometimes seems to be non-cider apple juice with alcohol added to it.

I wandered into some home beer brewing forums while looking that up last weekend and found a bunch of them talking about throwing an ale yeast or wheat yeast into a gallon jug of juice and getting alcoholic cider. The few beer yeasts I've used so far have tasted too "yeasty" to me to want to use in cider making. A champagne yeast doesn't have this taste.
2010 Bottled- WE Estate New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, champagne from WE NZ SB, WE International Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon (2nd batch), WE Pacific Quartet
Fermenting/carboys- WE Estate Cabernet Franc/Merlot, WE Limited Petit Verdot, Oktoberfest beer, WE Millennium Sparkling
On Deck- WE Limited Italian Brunello, Nut Brown Ale

Show me a cork that breathes and Iíll show you a bottle of vinegar.- Richard Grant Peterson

#6 nickfox45

nickfox45

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the answers, I knew you all wouldn't disappoint! biggrin.gif

#7 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

Most apples dont have enough sugar content to ferment above 5-8 %.
Apple wine is when additional sugar is added to the juice to raise the brix\SG.

If I were into tatoos... I would tatoo some grapes on my forarm. :P

#8 Jack

Jack

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

I'm not sure of the answer, but I always thought hard cider was made with pure juice and was always sweet. The apple wine recipes I've seen are made by adding so many pounds of apples to water and then adding sugar to desired s.g. If made from straight juice, the wine/cider would likely be fairly acidic, would probably need to be sweetened to attain some sort of balance, and would probably have fairly heavy body. Wine/cider made from so many pounds of apples added to water would likely result in a fairly light, fairly delicate wine that would likely need additional acid for balance, but probably wouldn't need to be sweetened unless that was just the individual's preference.

Admittedly, I'm speculating as I've never made apple wine from straight juice or from apples. However, I have tasted hard cider, but have no idea how it was made.
Staircase Cellars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users