• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Johnnash

Johnnash

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Location:On the edge of the Highland Rim of the Cumberland Plateau in the hills of Tennessee
  • Interests:Family, Food, Gardening, Wine making, Hunting

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

Found this gentleman over laborday weekend.

Joe Collins
866 Baron Bluff Rd
Smithville, TN

1-615-597-7686

Several varieties of domestic muscadines / scuppernogs
Pick your own $3 gallon

I picked 10 gallons, clean vines & rows, easy picking, huge grapes loaded with suger & juice.
Really great guy to meet.
This is too good.....

#2 cajunwine

cajunwine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making, beermaking, fishing, travel

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Johnnash @ Sep 8 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Found this gentleman over laborday weekend........................................$3 gallon
I picked 10 gallons.........................................

Just curious, aprox. how many lbs do you think is in one gallon?
Eddie

#3 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:WineMaking
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

I think about 5lbs for gallon of berries.

A good general recipe is about 5lbs per gallon of wine also..

Dave

#4 Johnnash

Johnnash

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Location:On the edge of the Highland Rim of the Cumberland Plateau in the hills of Tennessee

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

Hello Dave

I used to live at Crossplains, down at the end of Glidewell Rd. off Hwy 25 at I-65. That was several years ago, it was a nice quiet town where everybody new your business, just most folks didnt care. Really nice area.

I was going to say depending on the size of the grape but yes 5 lb per is a good #, smaller grapes will weigh more, larger less but not significantly.

Mr. Collins had everything from a small black (dime sized) up thru blue (nickle) and whites (quarter) and some purples nickle to almost half dollar. We sampled them all and ended up pickin mostly nickle to quarter sized purples but did get a few of each. It amased me the different levels of suger in them and the varying tastes. I still strongly prefer the true wild with less suger, more acid and obvious tannins but they are all really good and better than domestic grapes in my opinion.
This is too good.....

#5 cajunwine

cajunwine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Johnnash @ Sep 9 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....................... I still strongly prefer the true wild with less suger, more acid and obvious tannins but they are all really good and better than domestic grapes in my opinion.

I picked 6lbs wild, dark purple, varying in size from a dime to a nickel the other day at my BIL's house along his fence in Milton Fla. Put them in the freezer and plan to make a gallon using Jack K's recipe in about a month. Still plenty remains along the fence line and I think they will make jelly out of them. Since this is my first muscadine I figured I'd start with a gallon and make more next year if it comes out nice. On his other fence he has a green variety that he calls scuperdines.(???) He has a regular vineyard and doesn't even know it. The birds and other animals have a feast and still plenty remains. What's really funny is every once in a while he clears the fence and cuts them back almost to the roots and the next year they come back like crazy.smile.gif
Eddie

#6 Johnnash

Johnnash

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

Scupperdines?? maybe scuppernogs??

The recipie book called "Mary's" has a very basic red wine recipie in it for red grapes including muscadine grapes that was my first recipie and it produced what is likely my best wine to date. I used it again last year but increased the volume by about 25%, I will open it at Christmas..

Given the opportunity you should raid your BIL's fencerow again and teach him to "prune" not bushhog, lol.

It is great that you have that tho.

smileytoast.gif
This is too good.....

#7 cajunwine

cajunwine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Johnnash @ Sep 22 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scupperdines?? maybe scuppernogs??...........................................
smileytoast.gif

I think you're probably right concerning the scuppernogs but I dare not mention that to brother-in-law and hurt his feelings risking any chance of reaping next years harvest. He's a good ol' country boy who "goes over yonder", "walks a piece" and "mashes buttons" and who am I (Italian/Cajun that I am) to tell him how to speak or much less the difference between Muscadines and scuppernogs. Although I did ask him to go easy on the fence trimming this year. biggrin.gif
Eddie

#8 Cajun Cuvee Queen

Cajun Cuvee Queen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Travel, beermaking, and the wild adventure of cooking. Trying to ENJOY world cuisines without regaining ALL that weight.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

I picked 6lbs wild, dark purple, varying in size from a dime to a nickel the other day at my BIL's house along his fence in Milton Fla. Put them in the freezer and plan to make a gallon using Jack K's recipe in about a month. Still plenty remains along the fence line and I think they will make jelly out of them. Since this is my first muscadine I figured I'd start with a gallon and make more next year if it comes out nice. On his other fence he has a green variety that he calls scuperdines.(???) He has a regular vineyard and doesn't even know it. The birds and other animals have a feast and still plenty remains. What's really funny is every once in a while he clears the fence and cuts them back almost to the roots and the next year they come back like crazy.Posted Image

Hey Chere,

Hows the BIL's vines doing? You plan to come back and pick again? Did you like how your wine turned out? The J. Keller recipe? I should look it up.

I've been working with recipes from my Grandfather and father, just bottled a batch today. Slowly increasing the amt of domestic (Carlos and Noble)muscadines in my recipes as I'm working from recipes using less grapes than most home winemakers. The recipes work and are consistent, but I hope increasing the fruit will produce an even better wine. I don't have a press so we're making do with implements of sorts! One of my properties has native blueberries so I hope to play around with them in some muscadine batches in the future.Attached File  100_4357.JPG   368.95K   5 downloads

#8 March 2011 Red/Bronze Muscadine blend (double & single fruit batches)
#7 Bottled - Red Muscadine
#7 January 2011, Red Muscadine
#6 Bottled (Aug '10) May '10 Red & Bronze Muscadine (double fruit - recipe) :-) :-) (tasty in early 2011)

Laissez les bon temps rouler.....just don't let 'em roll over you!

If Cajun comes across a plant, fruit or vegetable, the first thing you might hear is....."Can it be fermented?"

#9 Paul Allen

Paul Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

Found this gentleman over laborday weekend.

Joe Collins
866 Baron Bluff Rd
Smithville, TN

1-615-597-7686

Several varieties of domestic muscadines / scuppernogs
Pick your own $3 gallon

I picked 10 gallons, clean vines & rows, easy picking, huge grapes loaded with suger & juice.
Really great guy to meet.

Hey John,

I talked to Mr. Collins today. He said that the muscadines will be ready 2nd weekend in September.
Aging 10 gallons watermelon
Aging 10 gallons strawberry
Aging 5 gallons orange
Aging 5 gallons lemon berry squeeze

#10 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

I hear Folks call scuppernongs scupperdines all the time. It's a colloquialism of the two, I'd say. It's like taters and spuds. Once fried (or fermented) they're both delicious!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#11 Johnnash

Johnnash

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

There are now 2 u-pick farms up here. Follow the link then select Farm and page2 which are pages 13 and 14 of the paper. I know nothing about the one at Baxter but he one in Smithville is the one we posted about last year.

http://thepeddlertn.com/
This is too good.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users