Strawberry Chocolate Wine

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 pcolb

pcolb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests: Wine Making, Reefing, Truck Driving "32 Years and getting Younger" and My Family!

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

I started a batch of Chocolate Strawberry wine 2 days ago. And it is still slow going. I used Montrachet ( the only yeast I had on Hand) 2 packs of it. I added entergizer and Nutrient to try and boost it a little. Does anyone know why this is still going slow. I've got a little bit of bubbles going on in the wine but no action in the air lock.

Thanks,
Patrick
Really Awful Terrible Wine- Ask for it by name!!!!

#2 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3955 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

You shouldn't have an airlock on. Start in an open primary so you can stir it 2-4x daily. Cover with a cloth to give it plenty of air.
Post your complete recipe so we can see how you started it.

Debbie
smileytoast.gif
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

#3 pcolb

pcolb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests: Wine Making, Reefing, Truck Driving "32 Years and getting Younger" and My Family!

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

4 pressed gallons of Cali Strawberries, 10#sugar dissolved in 1/2 gall of spring water, 1.5 gallons of spring water, 1# of Hershey Cocoa, 1 oz. of pectic enzyme, 2tbs tannin, 5 Camden tags, I let it sit 24 hrs and then pitched 1 oz. of Montrachet.

#4 Medsen Fey

Medsen Fey

Fuselier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

What was your starting gravity and what it it now? How large is your batch? What is the temperature?
Lanne pase toujou pi bon.
(Past years are always better)

#5 pcolb

pcolb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

1.095 start, 1.090 now. This reading is from a 6 gallon. 79 deg. I have made Strawberry for many years and I also have 2 180 gallon batches going great everything with them is good but for this one 6 gallon batch. I added Cocoa at fermentation and it is going very slow. Will the Cocoa cause this to slow up because of the thickness of the batch or is this normal? I should know more by Sunday if I need to do something to it that I really don't want to do.
A friend of mine has a energizer that he has produced that is used in distilling. The energizer will force any Yeast strain to completely ferment out to dryness in 8 days total. I've used this one time before and the results were amazing. But at the same time took away some of the Strawberry effect.

#6 Medsen Fey

Medsen Fey

Fuselier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

The cocoa was not a syrup with preservatives was it? The times I have used cocoa in batches, they have been robust fermentations (yeast seem to like chocolate too).
What is the pH?
How old was the yeast? Did you rehydrate it?
Lanne pase toujou pi bon.
(Past years are always better)

#7 pcolb

pcolb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

Cocoa was a powder with no preservatives. Not sure on the ph and the yeast wasn't old. Yes I did rehydrate for 20 mins with some of the strawberries and juice. The yeast really took off in the rehydrate. I'm thinking the batch may be just a little to thick. Smells good though. I can start to smell the Characters of wine in the batch. It has bubbles but they are really tiny. Kinda starting to come to life.
Sometimes yeast can be the most stubborn thing to get motivated.

#8 wireless

wireless

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (pcolb @ Sep 4 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I started a batch of Chocolate Strawberry wine 2 days ago. And it is still slow going. I used Montrachet ( the only yeast I had on Hand) 2 packs of it. I added entergizer and Nutrient to try and boost it a little. Does anyone know why this is still going slow. I've got a little bit of bubbles going on in the wine but no action in the air lock.

Thanks,
Patrick

I replied to your post in the"Genral Wine Making" section. Anyways, below is my 2 cents.

Thanks
Mike

Patrick,

I did this one last year and it came out GREAT. After it completed primary at about 1.005 SG I racked it off into a carboy. It took at least 6 months to clear with about three racking during those 6 months. I also used bentonite to help clear it. Once cleared, I added more sulfites and stabilized with potassium sorbate. I then added one can of Bacardi strawberry daiquiri mix to sweeten back to an SG of 1.010.

I canít take full credit for this recipe as I adjusted Corn Fieldís recipe posted here. http://www.winepress...late Strawberry

Finished product smells like strawberries. At first taste you feel the strawberries, then it finishes with a nice rich Chocolate flavor, but not to sweet, just enough. The girls really LOVE this stuff. I bottled it into 375ml clear bottles and a red PVC shrink cap.

Hope this helps you out.

Mike.

4lbs fresh strawberries
2 1/2 lbs sugar (sg 1.110)
1tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp peetic enzyme
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp tannin
4oz.(1/2 cup) hershey's cocoa powder
red star champagne
1 gallon water

follow the normal prosedures for wine making with the exception of adding the chocolate.Remove 1 cup must put in food processer turn on low speed and add cocoa slowly and mix for about one minute then add to primary ferminter and stir in. you can also use frozen strawberries aquired at your local store

After reading all of the chocolate covered cherry threads, my curiosity was awakened, but in the end I don't really like chocolate covered cherries. Soooooo, I decided to try and figure out something that was chocolate covered and wouldn't cost me a mint. I happen to have tons of bananas in the freezer downstairs that I need to get rid of, so I figured I'd try something with them.
I did some research on Jack's site once again and came up with a Banana Split recipe. I started it last week and transferred to glass 2 days ago. So far it's held up to be exactly what I thought it would be. Right now it tastes of cherries and chocolate with just a hint of banana and vanilla. I figure the banana will come forward as the chocolate powder falls out and the wine smooths out. SO here's the recipe and what I did (or should have done). If you decide to try it, please let me know if you have a better way to do things.

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Times New Roman--><span style="font-family:Times New Roman"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Warning:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->The consumption of alcohol products may not be right for everyone. Women who are pregnant or nursing should not drink alcohol products.

Side effects may include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, incarceration, erotic lustfulness, loss of motor control, loss of clothing, loss of money, loss of virginity, pregnancy, delusions of grandeur, table dancing, headache, dehydration, dry mouth, and a desire to sing Karaoke, play all-night rounds of Strip Poker, Truth Or
Dare, Naked Twister and just may be a contributing factor in getting your curse kicked. Please drink responsibility<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#9 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

I wish to share something I learned.
There are two types of cocoa powders both devide in sub groups according to cocoa butter content.
Natural (the stuff most recpies use aka Hershey's) and dutch cocoa.
they differ by PH ,the acids in the dutch type are nuetrlized by potassium carbonate resulting in ph of 7.5-8 while natural has ph of 4.5-5.
The dutch type has a smoother taste ,blends much better in liquids and has reduced bitterness.

Its 20-30% more expenssive but I think it can provide with a wine which is easyer to "handle" during making ,has less lost in racking,drinkable sooner and has a rounder cocoa flavour.
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

#10 nickfox45

nickfox45

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

I'm interesting in starting a strawberry chocolate wine myself, and just wanted to make sure the recipe listed below is for 1 gallon.

4lbs fresh strawberries
1tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp peetic enzyme
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp tannin
red star champagne
1 gallon water

Would this change drastically if I were to use frozen strawberries and/or a mix of strawberry jam instead? I would tend towards adding more fruit per gallon for a stronger fruit flavor, and because the flavor from frozen/jam might be less than fresh strawberries. Any ideas?

#11 Stubaroo

Stubaroo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

I'm interesting in starting a strawberry chocolate wine myself, and just wanted to make sure the recipe listed below is for 1 gallon.

4lbs fresh strawberries
1tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp peetic enzyme
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp tannin
red star champagne
1 gallon water

Would this change drastically if I were to use frozen strawberries and/or a mix of strawberry jam instead? I would tend towards adding more fruit per gallon for a stronger fruit flavor, and because the flavor from frozen/jam might be less than fresh strawberries. Any ideas?

As far as flavor from frozen strawberries is concerned you don't really need to worry. According to Jack Keller's site (which if you haven't already visited you should) the frozen berries in stores are actually riper than the one's in the baskets that cost more. Go figure right? Adding more fruit per gallon will still make the strawberries presence more noticable but 4lbs per gallon is pretty good (3 is baseline and 5 is almost overboard).

Now for a question of my own: The purpose of the food processor is only to make sure that the cocoa is in individual grains and scattered about correct? or do you need it in one so that they get chopped up? I don't own a blender currently so I was thinking I could add the cocoa slowly to a jar and shake it like all hell at increments to make sure the stuff is in suspension as much as possible before adding to the primary.
Currently In the Works:
Raspberry Wine (5 gal)
Mixed Berry wine (5 gal)
Chocolate-Strawberry Wine (3 gal)
Raspberry Port (3 gal)
Bottled:
Blueberry Sweet Mead (1 gal)
Key Lime Wine (3 gal)
Apple-Raspberry Cider (5 gal)
Apple Cider (9%) (1 gal)
Chocolate Raspberry Port (3 gal)
Apple Wine (11%) (5 gal)
Lime Wine (13%) (5 gal)
Strawberry Wine (1 gal)

#12 deb_rn

deb_rn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3955 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

A regular blender should work too... but shaking would work. I think it's the cocoa butter in it that doesn't want to mix in.

Debbie
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower

#13 Stubaroo

Stubaroo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

A regular blender should work too... but shaking would work. I think it's the cocoa butter in it that doesn't want to mix in.

Debbie

I ended up using a hand-held electric mixer, it worked nicely :) it's on it's fourth day and I've been mixing it up about once a day to make sure the chocolate stays in suspension and doesn't crust on the walls of the bucket. Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem though as the mix is pretty much perpetually brown with a red tint. Foams up real nice when I mix it up too, a good two to three inches of it actually. I'm a little worried about the strawberry flavor coming through however, when I mix it all I smell is chocolate and I don't want that to COMPLETELY dominate.
I'm thinking that I'll backsweeten with some home-made strawberry syrup to make sure the strawberry flavor is present.
Currently In the Works:
Raspberry Wine (5 gal)
Mixed Berry wine (5 gal)
Raspberry Port (3 gal)
Bottled:
Key Lime Wine (3 gal)
Apple Cider (9%) (1 gal)
Apple Wine (11%) (5 gal)
Lime Wine (13%) (5 gal)
Strawberry Wine (1 gal)

#14 deb_rn

deb_rn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:04 AM

Strawberry juice at the end will be PERFECT!!

Good Luck!

Debbie
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE

#15 Stubaroo

Stubaroo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

It took about 2 weeks in the bucket but it fermented to dryness and is now in the carboy... I really hope these lees compact, otherwise it's going to be very watered down. Also it basically looks like Yoohoo, just a little thinner lol
Currently In the Works:
Raspberry Wine (5 gal)
Mixed Berry wine (5 gal)
Raspberry Port (3 gal)
Bottled:
Key Lime Wine (3 gal)
Apple Cider (9%) (1 gal)
Apple Wine (11%) (5 gal)