• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Moey

Moey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

I am in my second day of primary fermentation and have a slight but noticeable rotten egg stink. I know this is because I added too much Meta at crush (1 tsp per 5 gallon must). My latest readings on my must are tem 83 degrees, 20 b, 80 sg. Do I need to do anything now other than punch down at least 4 times per day? I will likely be pressing this weekend. I am also thinking I should add yeast nutrient - how much for 5 gallon must?

#2 jcutler

jcutler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Lots

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Moey @ Sep 1 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in my second day of primary fermentation and have a slight but noticeable rotten egg stink. I know this is because I added too much Meta at crush (1 tsp per 5 gallon must). My latest readings on my must are tem 83 degrees, 20 b, 80 sg. Do I need to do anything now other than punch down at least 4 times per day? I will likely be pressing this weekend. I am also thinking I should add yeast nutrient - how much for 5 gallon must?

Moey,
Hopefully some of the wine guys will jump in. However if it was beer I would say that you had an infection. There is a thread a few posts down about over doing the sulphite at crush and it didn't seem to be a game changer. Also your temp jumps out at me as being high. I've always thought long and slow ie. cooler was better.
JC

#3 tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3724 posts
  • Interests:brewing, winemaking, soapmaking, cheesemaking: yes I'm clean smelling, flatulent, constipated and slightly inebriated

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

Definitely add yeast nutrient right away. The sulfide isn't due to excess sulfites so much as it is from a lack of phosphate and other nutrients that the yeast need to do proper fermentation. Add the amount recommended on your particular nutrient blend. You might add a little more when the wine is halfway done fermenting.

Lennie

Fermenting: 
Barreled: Sangiovese, Norton, Chambourcin

Carboys:  Cayuga, Traminette

#4 Medsen Fey

Medsen Fey

Fuselier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:27 PM

You might also want to use Fermaid K or a similar yeast energizer that has nitrogen, as well as B vitamins such an pantothenate and pyridoxine - all of which are needed to prevent H2S formation.
Lanne pase toujou pi bon.
(Past years are always better)

#5 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6964 posts
  • Interests:Turning can't into done.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

I'd suggest getting a little more vigorous in your punch downs as well. Working in some O2 will help blow off that H2S. Press then splash rack into your secondary and if you still have the smell, then pump some air through the wine. I had a really stinky Cab Franc that was cured with these steps.

Steve, Garagiste

Manufacturer of IntelliTanks at
www.Catalyst-Manufacturing.com

Author of The Homebuilt Winery @ www.HomebuiltWinery.com

#6 Steve_E

Steve_E

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:IT Industry, Photography, Making Wines

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (Hammered @ Sep 1 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd suggest getting a little more vigorous in your punch downs as well. Working in some O2 will help blow off that H2S. Press then splash rack into your secondary and if you still have the smell, then pump some air through the wine. I had a really stinky Cab Franc that was cured with these steps.

I would definitely rack back and forth a few times from one bucket to another and as Hammered suggested make sure you splash it around good. I had a Raspberry batch do that on me and this cured it alone. It was my first batch of wine I ever made, so I didn't learn about adding DAP or anything like that at the time.

Steve

#7 Briankos

Briankos

Hope I never stop learning!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1593 posts
  • Interests:Making wine and sharing it with friends around the firepit, fruit gardening, the outdoors, woodworking, muscle cars. THANKS TO ALL THE VETERANS!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Definetly add yeast nutrient and splash rack! and do it soon... the longer you let it go, the harder it is to get rid of it. The yeast are being stressed.
Steven Wright: I made wine out of raisins so I wouldn't have to wait for it to age.

#8 Moey

Moey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (Briankos @ Sep 1 2009, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definetly add yeast nutrient and splash rack! and do it soon... the longer you let it go, the harder it is to get rid of it. The yeast are being stressed.

I haven't pressed yet...how do I rack before pressing?

#9 Medsen Fey

Medsen Fey

Fuselier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:15 PM

You don't need to rack it. Give it the nutrients and vitamins it needs and aerate it really well several times a day to help blow off the H2S. The smell may be gone by the time you rack, but if not, you can splash rack at that time. The high temperature may also be causing the yeast to get stinky and if you can cool it down a bit that may help.

#10 Moey

Moey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Briankos @ Sep 1 2009, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't pressed yet...how do I rack before pressing?

#11 Donnico78

Donnico78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

Did you try using copper? Ive heard copper (in bar or sheet form) can help neutralize H2S.

#12 Medsen Fey

Medsen Fey

Fuselier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (Donnico78 @ Sep 1 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you try using copper? Ive heard copper (in bar or sheet form) can help neutralize H2S.

Not during an active fermentation. At this phase, the presence of copper will induce the yeast to produce higher levels of H2S. Besides, copper can be quite toxic, so don't be in a rush to use it.

#13 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:WineMaking
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

"I haven't pressed yet...how do I rack before pressing?

Insert the racking cane thru the cap. (don't disturb the cap) Rack the wine off into a carboy. Once racked off splash back over the cap.

Dave

#14 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6964 posts
  • Interests:Turning can't into done.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:18 PM

You won't be racking in a primary fermentation container. Your best bet at this point is to get oxygen into the must along with nutrients as suggested. Do your punch downs with vigor 3 or 4 times a day and then press above SG 1.000. From the press, splash the wine into the secondary container. If after all this, by the time you get close to SG 0.997 splash rack again and if it's not cured, then you need to start researching copper treatments. I suspect if you follow this protocol, you'll not have to go there.

Steve, Garagiste

Manufacturer of IntelliTanks at
www.Catalyst-Manufacturing.com

Author of The Homebuilt Winery @ www.HomebuiltWinery.com

#15 bzac

bzac

The Grape Botherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6617 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (Hammered @ Sep 1 2009, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be racking in a primary fermentation container. Your best bet at this point is to get oxygen into the must along with nutrients as suggested. Do your punch downs with vigor 3 or 4 times a day and then press above SG 1.000. From the press, splash the wine into the secondary container. If after all this, by the time you get close to SG 0.997 splash rack again and if it's not cured, then you need to start researching copper treatments. I suspect if you follow this protocol, you'll not have to go there.

I agree , you got some h2s because you starved the yeast of nutirents, get some fermaid or similar in there and punch it down vigorously a few times a day until fermentation is complete. it will most likely be gone bt the time you are finnished pressing.

always use a complete nutirent like fermaid (much better than just DAP) . optired is also a good thing to suppliment your nutrient and ensure a healthy ferment.

copper is a treatment of last resort and only for severe cases and never durring primary ferment , I've never had to go there , and if you do reduless is a much better way to go than the blue bomb.

buy yourelf a good book, The Way to Make Wine by Warwick is a good one for newbies.
Fundraising to find a cure for prostate cancer
http://ca.movember.c...ospace/11387633

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users