• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChefVince

ChefVince

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

I fell in love with Sam Addams Cherry wheat ale, does any one brew something similar and have a favorite recipe that they like to use? I'm not looking for a clone brew, just something close, maybe a bit more cherry aroma and flavor. From my reasearch I see that S.A. uses a cherry extract. I'd prefer to use a real fruit puree in primary. Any ideas on that? Does it produce enough Cherry note
versus extract at bottling? I didn't think I would like a beer with a fruit flavoring, but the taste really intrigued me, especially after 4-5 bottles, which I consumed strictly for evaluation purposes of course. I'm curious about what other Home brewers are doing with fruit flavored beers. Here in S.C we get a lot of peaches, I might try a batch of that if there was some thing to caompare it to.
Thanks Again, every one here is always so helpfull!!

#2 smurfe

smurfe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

Chef Vince. When you make a fruit beer the best way to go about it is to first make the base beer and then add the fruit to it. You need to adjust the base beer to accentuate the fruit. For example, you make an American Wheat beer but leave out the lat hop additions. Just add the initial bittering hop but leave out the late aroma hops as you don't want them competing with the fruit. You start fermenting the beer in a regular manner for a few days and then add the fruit to a secondary and rack the beer onto the fruit and continue to ferment. If you use fresh fruit you want it as ripe as possible. You might want to parboil it to sterilize and then freeze the fruit to break down the cell walls just as you would with fruit making a fruit wine.

These directions basically came from a book I have in my library that I would recommend and beer maker buy and have on hand. It is called Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. It has a few recipes and tips on how to brew beers from every beer style. There is an extract and all grain recipe for every recipe in the book. This book along with John Palmer's How To Brew are what I consider essential brewing literature that every brewer should have. These two authors also do Podcast radio shows on The Brewing Network. Well worth listening to if you like to listen to stuff like that. Almost all of my knowledge came from reading their books, listening to the shows and just diving in and trying what they talk about. I do have a pretty extensive brewing library but those two books and a book by Randy Moiser called Radical Brewing taught me everything I needed to know.
Swampwater Brewing and Civella Wines
Brewing on the Bayou in Gonzales Louisiana

#3 Robert_P

Robert_P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:39 AM

It's been many years ago now but I have made a Cherry wheat which used 2 Lbs of Sour Cherries for a 6 gallon all grain run.

Wash and Pit the cherries. Add them in the last 3-4 minutes of the boil.
Carry them thru to the fermenter.

The flavor and aroma were very big.

//R
WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users