• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mike-Carolina

Mike-Carolina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

I need help and fast please. Something is working on my muscadine grapes- apparently at night. I have a bumper crop but when inspecting the vines and grapes today, I notice several pounds of grapes in all stages of ripeness scattered around on the ground- the ripest looking have been eaten leaving just the skin. The grapes on the vines are dirty with sand - something is crawling on my vines at nite and ruining my crop. Any and all help you can give me would be appreciated- how can I stop this before my grapes are all ruined?

#2 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

Probably possums or raccoons. Can you put a dog in the vineyard for the night?
Both are pretty easy to trap with live traps, even easier to shoot once inside the trap. Bait the trap with canned cat food. Half an apple works good for bait, but they've got all the fruit they want right now, thanks to all your efforts! They'll love the smell of the cat food.
You could sit a chair near the vines in easy shotgun range and sit with a flashlight, off until you see motion. Coons can move pretty fast, but possums are slower.
Move today on it because they may bring back all their family tonight!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#3 Vitruviano

Vitruviano

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Red Wine Travel in the Mediterranean History of W Civilization Geneaolgy Science Classical Art

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

Hi Mike,
I had a total loss of my ripe muscadines too. Something bit one end then hollowed out the grape leaving only skin and seeds - still on the vine. I also had sand residue and the darned thing crawled inside hardware cloth and feasted on my babies. I postulate that it must be slugs or carpenter ants because I see them in other areas of the yard and they do the same thing to the ripe sea grapes on the property. I spread out slug and ant baits but it was too late. Best of luck in your critter control. V unsure.gif

#4 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Mike-Carolina @ Aug 22 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need help and fast please. Something is working on my muscadine grapes- apparently at night. I have a bumper crop but when inspecting the vines and grapes today, I notice several pounds of grapes in all stages of ripeness scattered around on the ground- the ripest looking have been eaten leaving just the skin. The grapes on the vines are dirty with sand - something is crawling on my vines at nite and ruining my crop. Any and all help you can give me would be appreciated- how can I stop this before my grapes are all ruined?

I wrapped duct work sheet metal around the vines and posts. This material is about 18" wide shiny and slick which seems to be sufficient. Because of the slickness the critters can't get a foot or claw hold. This is my first year trying this and it seems to be working. On the posts that went unwrapped or were poorly wrapped I had critter damage but had none on the others.

#5 Mike-Carolina

Mike-Carolina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

thanks for the advice

#6 Mike-Carolina

Mike-Carolina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

I built a box trap and set it with some cat food - last night I caught a possum. I took him down the road a few miles and let him loose. Hope he was the culprit.

#7 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:01 AM

Glad you got the little devil!
I trapped 2 of them this year that were killing my chickens. They didn't fare as well as yours... I figured down the road they'd kill someone else's chickens. I'm just glad I got them after a few nights and a few chickens... my flock's too small to feed them to possums!

#8 oldjenx

oldjenx

Gone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1461 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Wade's Wines @ Sep 7 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad you got the little devil!
I trapped 2 of them this year that were killing my chickens. They didn't fare as well as yours... I figured down the road they'd kill someone else's chickens. I'm just glad I got them after a few nights and a few chickens... my flock's too small to feed them to possums!

Aww Wade. You have cut short the possum life cycle. You know (an abbreviated version), get born, eat chicken, and make greasy spot in the road.

#9 knotsorich

knotsorich

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1987 posts
  • Interests:Growing grapes and making wine.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

And we all know the greasy possum spot makes the road last longer, so they do have a usefulness to them, not to mention feeding lots of pour souls!

#10 Herb_08161947

Herb_08161947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Bees, Honey, Vineyards, Growing Sorghum, General Horticulture

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

I had caught a coupla possums in a HavaHart trap and brought them up to the house and asked my wife (who will cook and eat almost anything) if she had any good recipes for these possums..... she looked at me and said "Times ain't that hard ......... yet"!!

So I took the two down the road to an old timer that I knew had lived through the Depression and asked him if he like to eat some possum.... well he looked at the possums then at me and said "Times ain't that hard ..... yet"/

So I guess we gotta wait awhile before we start eating possum down here..... might not be long.
Herb McIntyre
Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu Melekh ha‑olam, bo're p'ri ha‑gafen.
Retired and growing grapes near the coast of NC
34°46'43.13"N 78°29'9.65"W

#11 RSG

RSG

what if I just tweek it once more...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, hunting and fishing, Building things.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Herb_08161947 @ Sep 7 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had caught a coupla possums in a HavaHart trap and brought them up to the house and asked my wife (who will cook and eat almost anything) if she had any good recipes for these possums..... she looked at me and said "Times ain't that hard ......... yet"!!

So I took the two down the road to an old timer that I knew had lived through the Depression and asked him if he like to eat some possum.... well he looked at the possums then at me and said "Times ain't that hard ..... yet"/

So I guess we gotta wait awhile before we start eating possum down here..... might not be long.

laugh.gif I like Wades method...don't forget for those of you who live near a horse farm those Possums give horses a disease that can cripple them. The farmers just hate the little buggers up around here.
Ron Gardiner

#12 Herb_08161947

Herb_08161947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Bees, Honey, Vineyards, Growing Sorghum, General Horticulture

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (RSG @ Sep 7 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif I like Wades method...don't forget for those of you who live near a horse farm those Possums give horses a disease that can cripple them. The farmers just hate the little buggers up around here.

Lazy Road Painters!!Attached File  roadkill.jpg   25.1K   2 downloads
Herb McIntyre
Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu Melekh ha‑olam, bo're p'ri ha‑gafen.
Retired and growing grapes near the coast of NC
34°46'43.13"N 78°29'9.65"W

#13 RSG

RSG

what if I just tweek it once more...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, hunting and fishing, Building things.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

That's too funny Herb laugh.gif
Ron Gardiner

#14 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16104 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (Herb_08161947 @ Sep 7 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lazy Road Painters!!Attached File  roadkill.jpg   25.1K   2 downloads

Can't stop laughing! Help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users