What is it and how can I make it?

#2 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:18 AM

Skeeter Pee is basically Hard Lemonade, but it's not the commercial Mike's Hard Lemonade. More like wine lemonade. It's very refreshing!!

Read this thread, and you will come across the recipe: http://www.winepress...;hl=skeeter pee

I noticed our 99 cent store has real lemon juice for 99 cents a bottle. Hmmmmmmmmm

Suzi

#3 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:WineMaking
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

Summer time refreshing. I'm down to 14 Gallons left. smile.gif
Everyone at the office loves it.

Sam's Club has the double pack of 48oz Real Lemon.. just over $5 enough to make 6 gallons.

Dave

#4 gene01011

gene01011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Sax9747 @ Jul 15 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Summer time refreshing. I'm down to 14 Gallons left. smile.gif
Everyone at the office loves it.

Sam's Club has the double pack of 48oz Real Lemon.. just over $5 enough to make 6 gallons.

Dave

is it made just like wine?

#5 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:32 AM

Yes... just keep the starting SG down to provide an abv around 9-10% and it is great..

Follow the link Suzi provided above for the recipe just can't go wrong.

Dave

#6 cutter

cutter

Addicted to WinePress & Skeeter Pee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2218 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making
    Wine Drinking
    Music Listening
    Reading

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

I started my batch last Saturday and expected it to start slow and go slow. It took off like a rocket. Two days later I added more yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and lemon juice and it is foaming like no other wine I've ever made. It smells great. Follow Lon's instructions and you shouldn't have any problems even though the juice concentrate has preservatives and a low pH. I can't wait to bottle it and start drinking it. al_coholic.gif
Juan

In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice.
I raise my glass to ideas lost, on foggy nights, when no one listened - Jack Keller

#7 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3744 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Sax9747 @ Jul 15 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (DesertDance @ Jul 15 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed our 99 cent store has real lemon juice for 99 cents a bottle. Hmmmmmmmmm

I've said it once and I'll keep saying it - don't use Drpepper/Snapple Group's ReaLemon product - it contains preservatives, and most importantly sulfites!

Use real lemon juice.

http://www.drpeppers...rands/realemon/

Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#8 cutter

cutter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2218 posts
    Wine Drinking
    Music Listening
    Reading

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

The Skeeter Pee recipe calls for 3-32 oz bottle of RealLemon Juice concentrate or the equivalent which as your label indicates have both sulfites and sorbates. Lon's instructions have you whip the must for two minutes to disipate most of the preservatives. He also calls for the addition of yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. The preservatives didn't seem to bother the yeast that I added to the must and I haven't had any H2S problems either. I don't know why it works. I only know that it does.
Juan

I raise my glass to ideas lost, on foggy nights, when no one listened - Jack Keller

#9 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

I alway whip the Real lemon concentrate. Never had issues with starting fermentation. Whip the straight juice and then as you mix the sugar in and then
as you add the water...

18 Gallons this year.. smileytoast.gif

Now I do agree with Croat as to best to use real lemons. juice them yourself, would probably make a much better drink... but the realemon sure is fine now...

Dave

#10 TwinMaples

TwinMaples

Veteran Wine Maker

• WinePress.US Book Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (cutter @ Jul 15 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. . . Lon's instructions have you whip the must for two minutes to disipate most of the preservatives.
I mentioned this tip last week on another Skeeter Pee thread. . .

When I started my Skeeter Pee a few weeks ago, I whipped the juice full strength using a hand mixer with a wire whisk attachment for 2 minutes. Then I added the water.

I first checked it two hours after pouring in the yeast slurry, and 1/3 of the must surface was sparsely covered with bubbles. One hour after that, the entire must surface was 1/2" thick with bubbles!

Jim

#11 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3744 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

One of my first wines was from fresh lemon juice. I have access to the local restaurant supply store and a case of lemons (25lbs) is around $10 ..... I've seen them at Aldi's for just over a buck for a 1lb bag.

Easy and tastes better IMHO without preservatives.
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#12 MinnesotaMaker

MinnesotaMaker

Nut (wine and otherwise)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Gardening, Preserving, Old Cameras, Karaoke, Motorcycling, Hunting

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

You CAN use the bottled lemon juice i.e. Realemon. And YES, it does contain preservatives. And YES, if you follow the Skeeter Pee recipe instructions, you will be successful almost all of the time. I've made many batches without trouble as have others. You can tweek the recipe if you like (I think tweeking is in the nature of home winemakers), but if you do, I can't say what you'll end up with; but sometimes that adventure is more important than the destination.

#13 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:28 AM

Lon

Once again thanks for the recipe. I just brought a gallon into work for a co-worker who is expecting visitors this weekend. His words "I'll bring the empty gallon jug back on monday". luxhello.gif

So it is a big hit around here.

My goal is to get several cases of the Modelo bottles.. Looks so great in them...

Dave

#14 ryankelley

ryankelley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Wine making, Camping, Basketball, Tennis, Art, Sushi, Try To Eat Paleo

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:08 AM

I'm going to whip up a batch tomorrow. I have everything I need, but the additives are about 18 months old: tannin, yeast nutrient, and yeast energizer. Can I use these still, or have they gone bad and I should get more?

I will get a new envelop of wine yeast tonight. Any recommendations on the type I should buy?

6 gallons Shiraz -  month 10 bulk aging

6 gallons Pinot Noir - month 10 bulk aging

6 gallons Chianti -  month 10 bulk aging

All from juice buckets 

18 gallons lime wine.

#15 cutter

cutter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2218 posts
    Wine Drinking
    Music Listening
    Reading

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (MinnesotaMaker @ Jul 16 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You CAN use the bottled lemon juice i.e. Realemon. And YES, it does contain preservatives. And YES, if you follow the Skeeter Pee recipe instructions, you will be successful almost all of the time. I've made many batches without trouble as have others. You can tweek the recipe if you like (I think tweeking is in the nature of home winemakers), but if you do, I can't say what you'll end up with; but sometimes that adventure is more important than the destination.

I followed your instructions as best as I could and the fermentation took off like a rocket. This is my first non-kit wine. I have never had this much foam on the must surface for so long as I'm getting with the Skeeter Pee. I'm going on vacation in a few days and I'm hoping that the fermentation will slow down enough so I can transfer it to a carboy before I leave. It already tastes pretty good and it's only been fermenting for 6 days. I haven't been this excited about a batch of wine since I started my first kt. Thanks for posting your recipe on the forum.
Juan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users