Photo

Ever Think Of Leasing Your Land To Gorw Grapes?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pjb153

pjb153

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

I only have a small amount of land.. about 1.5 acres that I could spare to lease. But it is perfect for grapes in my area. My vines are in their third year and doing well.

I currently allow a family member to use the field as a hay field, but would rather see it go towards vines.

Land around me that is field, open and full sun, sloped.. can be found.. but would cost allot to purchase up front. I would do a long term lease say 15 year or so. That would give plenty of time for the vines to produce and make it worth while for someone to get a crop out of it.

Is it worth it? Wineries are just really starting in our area and this might provide and opportunity for someone to grow that special grape they want.

#2 mainebob

mainebob

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Location:next to the last house on a dead end dirt road, deep in the heart of Maine
  • Interests:Teach woodworking at EMCC, Chaplain at 2 jails, fly fish, tie flies, make fly rods, grapes & winemaking.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

Sounds like you should check the wineries for their needs and plant 'em youself.
Why be a share cropper on your own land?
Chaplain Bob
Always making fruit wines from odd sources.Apple/grape/cherry,
Boysenberry/apple, pomegranate/blueberry, etc.
Bottle aging our first vintage from Valiant. "Prince Valiant the first '08"
Backyard vineyard with 75 vines. Mostly Swenson hybrids and MN
releases. Cold end of zone 4.

#3 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (mainebob @ May 19 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like you should check the wineries for their needs and plant 'em youself.
Why be a share cropper on your own land?

I agree! You might as well get some cuttings free from UC Davis, either graft them on free rootstock from UC Davis, or let them do their own roots, and by the time they get established, you can trellis them, and do whatever you have to to give them a start. It's your land. Be greedy!

Suzi

#4 pjb153

pjb153

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:20 AM

Good points... I will see how my 36 vines do this year and take it from there.

many people taste my wine (made from NY juice now) and say I should produce for sale. I just want to have a good quality wine to pass around to firends and family. I get more out of seeing what I can produce.

My vines are in year three and the lateral shoots now show clusters on them.. I hope they fruit well.

#5 rpage53

rpage53

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (pjb153 @ May 20 2009, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
many people taste my wine (made from NY juice now) and say I should produce for sale.

If the wine made from your own grapes is special, you'll have a ready market selling your grapes to local commercial wineries. They are more likely to buy your grapes than lease the land, as long as the quantity is large enough.

Rick.

#6 toomuchwine

toomuchwine

In The Tank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, German Shorthairs, travel, food,

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:38 AM

Unless you have a grape farmer or winery very close, the likelyhood would be slim as transportation of equipment would be prohibitive.
Don Kilcoyne
Catharine Valley Winery
Seneca Lake
Finger Lakes, NY

Every great bottle of wine starts with a person in a vineyard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users