• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Brown

Ken Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Has anyone used aged mushroom compost in the vineyard? I found a source for it and was wondering if it is recommended.
Thanks in advance.

#2 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16138 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

I'll take a few tons if the price isn't out of sight! I think mushroom compost is good for everything! We bought a dump truck load 3 years ago and haven't been able to buy it in bulk since. Wonderful stuff!
Wait until someone who is into chemistry answers and they can tell you what it will do to the soil. I have yet to find any plant that doesn't love a little Mushroom Compost!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#3 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13344 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Excellent stuff!
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#4 Ken Brown

Ken Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Wade's Wines @ May 12 2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll take a few tons if the price isn't out of sight! I think mushroom compost is good for everything! We bought a dump truck load 3 years ago and haven't been able to buy it in bulk since. Wonderful stuff!
Wait until someone who is into chemistry answers and they can tell you what it will do to the soil. I have yet to find any plant that doesn't love a little Mushroom Compost!

I found a place here on the west coast in Half Moon Bay California that always has it. The business is called "Soil Farm" on Highway 1. A little far from Tennessee though. HAHA
Greg, not too far from you though and I think they deliver!!
What's the correct way to apply it? Do I just cover the top soil with it or do I have to work it into the soil? I really don't want to be digging around the vines if I don't have to. Also, when is the best time to put it down? Is now ok?
Thanks!
Ken

#5 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13344 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (Ken Brown @ May 13 2009, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found a place here on the west coast in Half Moon Bay California that always has it. The business is called "Soil Farm" on Highway 1. A little far from Tennessee though. HAHA
Greg, not too far from you though and I think they deliver!!
What's the correct way to apply it? Do I just cover the top soil with it or do I have to work it into the soil? I really don't want to be digging around the vines if I don't have to. Also, when is the best time to put it down? Is now ok?
Thanks!
Ken

Mushroom compost is not overly rich in mineral content compared to composted maure but it does have a longer term impact to mineral compositiion of the soil. The big benefit is that it contains several fungi, bacteria and other microorganisms that are beneficial to mineral translocation in the roots. They also stimulate a healthy biotic environment for further breakdown of organic matter.

In this part of California, you can apply at anytime but idealy fall is best. In areas with decent summer rainfall, it should be applied only in the fall to avoid a vigor stimulation as N is released. Depending on soil and terrain, it can be applied either by top dressing or tilling/discing. Each has some benefit. The former can act as a short term weed barrier and an excellent medium for cover crop establishment. The latter will have the most long term benefit to the vineyard.

Compost should be applied avery few years to maintain healthy soil. At the very least, return to the vineyard what you remove (leaves, canes, pommace, etc). Otherwise, you are simplly depleting your vineyard of everything it needs to grow grea fruit.

HMB is not far at all. There are a few more in South County (Morgan Hill, Gilroy, etc) that supply it. We produce a few hundred yards of compost on site each year from the trimings generated by our property management business. We have not purchased compost for many years!

Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#6 Ken Brown

Ken Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (gregorio @ May 13 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mushroom compost is not overly rich in mineral content compared to composted maure but it does have a longer term impact to mineral compositiion of the soil. The big benefit is that it contains several fungi, bacteria and other microorganisms that are beneficial to mineral translocation in the roots. They also stimulate a healthy biotic environment for further breakdown of organic matter.

In this part of California, you can apply at anytime but idealy fall is best. In areas with decent summer rainfall, it should be applied only in the fall to avoid a vigor stimulation as N is released. Depending on soil and terrain, it can be applied either by top dressing or tilling/discing. Each has some benefit. The former can act as a short term weed barrier and an excellent medium for cover crop establishment. The latter will have the most long term benefit to the vineyard.

Compost should be applied avery few years to maintain healthy soil. At the very least, return to the vineyard what you remove (leaves, canes, pommace, etc). Otherwise, you are simplly depleting your vineyard of everything it needs to grow grea fruit.

HMB is not far at all. There are a few more in South County (Morgan Hill, Gilroy, etc) that supply it. We produce a few hundred yards of compost on site each year from the trimings generated by our property management business. We have not purchased compost for many years!

Thanks Greg! As usual, your knowledge and advice is greatly appreciated. I will probably put some down this fall.

#7 Purple Grin Winery

Purple Grin Winery

Fool on the Hill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • Interests:Anything challenging...building, growing, analyzing, staying out of the cellar....half acre Syrah

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

A note of thanks for previous efforts.

I just ordered one load of 30 yards delivered for $130 (craigslist). I suspect he's also getting paid by the mushroom farm.

It should give me about 1.5 inches of depth. I don't have any machinery to disc in. Any ideas? Anything I could haul behind a 4WD quad?

Also, since the vineyard is on the property line: any objectionable odor from this stuff?

Scott
http://www.purplegrinwinery.com

"Probably best to invite a bunch of friends over and drink it young" - moundtop

#8 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13344 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

Great price for delivered product! If it is still fermenting, it will smell a little especially when wet.

There are some small disc type attachments for ATVs like this http://www.cabelas.c...equestid=163237

QUOTE (Purple Grin Winery @ Nov 4 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A note of thanks for previous efforts.

I just ordered one load of 30 yards delivered for $130 (craigslist). I suspect he's also getting paid by the mushroom farm.

It should give me about 1.5 inches of depth. I don't have any machinery to disc in. Any ideas? Anything I could haul behind a 4WD quad?

Also, since the vineyard is on the property line: any objectionable odor from this stuff?

Scott

#9 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:Family, writing, vineyard, study of the stars* Yoga! Kayaking! Hanging out. Reading. Oh, and quilting!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

I have grieved over not being able to buy another load of it each year. I keep looking! A year or so ago we bought a load of mulch that was horrible stuff, not mushroom. I suspect in the vineyard a bit of it might go a good long way if you aren't going crazy and giving them alot. I never noticed that much smell from it. Nothing I couldn't live with out my kitchen window.....smile.gif

Peace, laughter, and fun. Wade helps me not be so serious! Love is like walking barefoot through a field of flowers.
With Wade.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)