Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

What happens if you use too much yeast?

#2 Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Own two German Shepherd's and train K9 dogs.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (D n S @ Apr 2 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What happens if you use too much yeast?

I don't think anything would happen in a negative sense unless you are grossly over. Everytime you put an entire pak into a gallon, you are using to much or five times more than needed. I guess it all depends upon how much to much are you talking about. Tell us what you did and we may be able to come up with a better answer for you.

Paul
[size=4][color=#3366FF]Paul
Clearing: 5 gallons Elderberry, 5 gallons Elderberry blush, 5 gallons Muscadine, 2 gallons
blackberry, 1 gallon Peach, 1 gallon Elderberry
Bottled: Muscadine, Strawberry, Chocloate Orange Port, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauv., Pinot Noir

SMILE, LOOK UP, AND TRUST!

#3 D n S

D n S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

I absent-mindedly added an extra packet. Might just be paranoid, but I think is has a funky smell. The SG is down to .998 and still bubbling. Just an off odor that I thought might have been on account of extra yeast and not enough sugar for all the yeasties to eat.

#4 Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Own two German Shepherd's and train K9 dogs.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (D n S @ Apr 2 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I absent-mindedly added an extra packet. Might just be paranoid, but I think is has a funky smell. The SG is down to .998 and still bubbling. Just an off odor that I thought might have been on account of extra yeast and not enough sugar for all the yeasties to eat.

You didn't say what quantity of wine you are making. I assume 5 gallons. Two packets wouldn't hurt. You will just have more dead yeast to dump. I doubt that that is what you are smelling. It is now uncommon for the SG to drop below .998. I have had it go to .990. I would rack to secondary and give it some time. I think you will be fine.
[size=4][color=#3366FF]Paul
Clearing: 5 gallons Elderberry, 5 gallons Elderberry blush, 5 gallons Muscadine, 2 gallons
blackberry, 1 gallon Peach, 1 gallon Elderberry
Bottled: Muscadine, Strawberry, Chocloate Orange Port, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauv., Pinot Noir

SMILE, LOOK UP, AND TRUST!

#5 BigManDan

BigManDan

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

I made a one gallon batch recently using a whole packet of yeast and the smell was very funky-yeasty. After a couple of rackings and some sparkolloid, the wine is crystal clear and smells great. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Pinot/Chardonnay from Alexander's concentrate
Cabernet Sauvignon from Alexander's concentrate
Blackberry Jam
Dried Apricot
Ruby Falls (from Welch's concentrate, blend of concord and niagra)
Welch's Concord
Johannisberg Riesling from Alexander's concentrate
Ruby Falls
Elderberry from concentrate
Chardonel from fresh grapes
Ruby Falls

#6 Luc Volders

Luc Volders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking bookbinding reading scubadiving Photography bycicle-riding cheesemaking

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

When you add yeast to a must it will start to multiply.
So an hour later you will have the same amount of yeast in the must as if you would have added 2 packs of yeast. After 2 hours 4 times as much etc until a certain point is reached and the colony can not grow anymore.

So by adding an extra pack of yeast you just have sped up the growing phase by an hour or so.
So no harm is one that way.

It would even not hurt if you added 5 or even 10 packs of yeast.

Luc

Luc's wijnmaker web-log
or have a look at my girlfriends art:
The art of Els Mulder

#7 Medsen Fey

Medsen Fey

Fuselier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

In beer brewing, folks worry a lot more about overpitching. Some believe it can lead to off flavors from autolysis and may give produce something termed "yeast bite".

On the White labs site they say
Is overpitching yeast harmful?

If the beer is overpitched, yeast do not grow though a complete growth cycle. This results in few new yeast cells, which makes for unhealthy yeast and low viability by the end of fermentation.

The Fact sheet at Morebeer.com says
Over pitching yeast may create “lazy” yeast that doesn’t ferment as vigorously due
to the number of cells. The yeast cake may also be too large and hard to rack off of.
It is generally difficult to over pitch but it is possible.

From a wine making perspective, there have been studies showing high pitch rates can allow rapid fermentation of low nutrient musts. I have tried this out with mead (honey musts are low-nutrient) and actually pitched 5g per liter of active dry yeast (roughly 4 packets in a gallon). It fermented dry, and actually tasted okay to me after it cleared and aged, though I readily admit I do not have the most refined palate.

I think in wine making, the risks of over pitching are quite low (if not zero).

Medsen
Lanne pase toujou pi bon.
(Past years are always better)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users