• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 smeurett

smeurett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

So there are 2000 maple trees tapped around my land right now (not mine) and as I walked among those buckets, I wondered if the maple sap could be used in a wine. I did make a maple sap beer once- substituting maple sap for water in a lighter beer recipe. Primed it with maple syrup. Sooo looking for maple sap wine recipes, most boil the sap down to a syrup and then make a mead like wine. Is there any thought to using the sap instead of water in a wine recipe-maybe impart a woody flavor? Any thoughts out there?

#2 Bunghole

Bunghole

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • Interests:Making Home Made Wine, Fishing, Computers, Horror Movies, Making Home Made Wine :)

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (smeurett @ Mar 22 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So there are 2000 maple trees tapped around my land right now (not mine) and as I walked among those buckets, I wondered if the maple sap could be used in a wine. I did make a maple sap beer once- substituting maple sap for water in a lighter beer recipe. Primed it with maple syrup. Sooo looking for maple sap wine recipes, most boil the sap down to a syrup and then make a mead like wine. Is there any thought to using the sap instead of water in a wine recipe-maybe impart a woody flavor? Any thoughts out there?

Mead and Wine are basically the same except one uses honey and the other sugars. Boil it down and make some exceptional Mead

John wave.gif
WARNING: Reading the posts in this forum can and will lead to a Wine Making Addiction and can cause you to buy more accessories

Who said money cant buy happiness did not know which Wine Supply Stores to shop at.

#3 edward sacco

edward sacco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (smeurett @ Mar 22 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A friend of mine, John Husk, he's a member here too. I ' ll see if he will post his recipe. His won third place with his recently.
God bless, Ed

#4 Powelln

Powelln

New England Cellar Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts
  • Interests:Wine & Winemaking (no, really!), Camping, Kayaking, Running,

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Don't have the recipe, but Sandhill Crane Vineyards outside of Jackson, MI has made a maple sap wine. Here's their description that might give you some clues on how to proceed.

"Sugar Snow - Silver medal - 2008 Taster’s Guild Int’l. Competition. Made with local maple sap, this soft, subtle unfiltered fortified wine is lightly sweetened with pure local maple syrup. Drink it as you would a sweet sherry or a Sauternes. Very limited edition — only 12 cases bottled. (release date - late winter 2009)"

The first batch that won the medal was an experiment, thus the 12 cases. It sold like pancakes (pun completely intended). I had a taste a couple of years ago when it first came out, mostly fortified maple flavor, not woody at all.

Good luck!
Noel

CEO & Winemaker of Aaronap Cellars

#5 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, Cycling and Arm chair with friends

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

last year a freind send me some maple syrup he made from his trees...

I kindly fermented it and returned it..

It was easy- and came out one of my best, like a sherry..
I fermented it dry then added maple syrup back bit by bit- till I got flavor- but not too much sweetness-
then aged it about 10 months, bottled- it was fine- 3 months later in bottle- and my friend was begging for more-

I jus' got the message- sap is running....

Putting "the Country" in Wine Country.

my blog ---> Den Of Uniquity

#6 smeurett

smeurett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:09 AM

How many gallons of syrup would you need for a 5 gal. batch do you think?

hmmm, I have a 3 cal carboy-maybe I should try a smaller batch.

So the consensus is not to use just the maple sap to replace water in a recipe? Might not be worth it? Unless.....I use syrup for the sugar content, and sap for the water and just keep an eye on the starting SG. What about the other ingredients? Acid blend...etc?

#7 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3877 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:37 AM

What is the starting SG of maple sap?

Remember people - it takes about 10 gallons of maple sap to produce one quart of finished maple syrup - its a lot of reducing that takes place. Due to this I don't think the starting SG would be high enough
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#8 RichS

RichS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (smeurett @ Mar 23 2009, 04:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the consensus is not to use just the maple sap to replace water in a recipe? Might not be worth it? Unless.....I use syrup for the sugar content, and sap for the water and just keep an eye on the starting SG.

I had the same ideas a while ago. What I found out is that a lot of the flavor we associate with maple syrup comes from the carmelization of the sugar in the maple sap as it nears the end of the "cooking" process that reduces it to syrup.. You can not get this flavor by using straight sap. If you want a sweet wine you might be able to get the flavor by sweetening with syrup, but if you are after a dry wine you need to start with syrup, not sap, or maybe a combination of syrup and sap.

Rich smileytoast.gif
YEAST: Proof that the gods love us!

SPOILAGE BACTERIA: Proof that the devil walks a must (err…amongst) us!

#9 Dusty

Dusty

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (croat @ Mar 23 2009, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the starting SG of maple sap?

Remember people - it takes about 10 gallons of maple sap to produce one quart of finished maple syrup - its a lot of reducing that takes place. Due to this I don't think the starting SG would be high enough

Depending on your sap, it can take as much as 80 gallons of sap for 1 gallon of syrup, it varies tree to tree and season to season, a common amount is 60 gallons of sap per gallon of syrup, but like i said it varies greatly with many variables. The syrup you buy in the store, Log Cabin, Mrs Butterworth's etc isn't that expensive because it isn't real maple syrup.

My advice would be use the sap as your water and either add some syrup or back sweeten with syrup once its done and stable. I currently have 4 maple trees tapped on my property for just that reason,( using the sap in place of water) i wont even try to save up enough to make syrup, also the sap can spoil, if it gets milky on you, dump it, and i don't have room to store 60 to 80 gallons of frozen sap to make 1 gallon of syrup.
Live and Love everyday as it is your last day, because it could be..

#10 RichS

RichS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Chef Neil @ Mar 22 2009, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
last year a freind send me some maple syrup he made from his trees...

I kindly fermented it and returned it..

I sure hope you did not send it ALL back unsure.gif

Your friend needs to understand just how much you lose to racking and accidents at botteling time wink.gif

Rich tongue.gif

YEAST: Proof that the gods love us!

SPOILAGE BACTERIA: Proof that the devil walks a must (err…amongst) us!

#11 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

I sure hope you did not send it ALL back unsure.gif

Your friend needs to understand just how much you lose to racking and accidents at botteling time wink.gif

Rich tongue.gif

my initial plea on my cycling forum- was split 50/50 he sent me a qt. which made a gallon- I bottled in 350ml- so had 8 bottles after tastes..
4 went back to WI. 4 stayed here-

my last partner in crime, sent me 10 pounds of sandia chilies from new mexico and a qt. of wild dessert flour honey..
he plans to pick up his his share in Oct.

#12 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

was it good?

my friends comments-

Neil:
I mean, well, Neil:
The Maple. It's like the best, finest Oloroso Cream Sherry I ever piped had a love-child with Fancy Amber Maple Syrup.
I stand in awe, son. In frickin' AWE.
Yeah, that'n'd sell. In fact, I need a pony cask. Or two. Or some firkins, or something.

#13 ajrawls

ajrawls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (smeurett @ Mar 22 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out the recipe for Maple Sap Wine on Jack Keller's Website...

http://winemaking.ja.../request132.asp

#14 bruno2

bruno2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:19 AM

I just started a 2 gallon batch this week using the recipe from Jack Keller. Lots of maple syrup people around here, so if this comes out good, I'll make more next year.

#15 Mkelly

Mkelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

Hi all, new to group. Thought I would chime in.

I just started a 5gal batch of maple wine.
I have never made this before so this is an experiment.

I produce ~5 gal maple syrup each year from my own trees. This year I boiled down 80 something gallons of sap to a sg of 1.09 let settle and cool for 24hrs.
Pitched yeast nutrient, Lavin 1118 yeast and added 1 1/2 cups wildflower honey. When I move it to secondary I plan on adding some sassafras roots and bulk age.

One web site I saw a recipe on said:
For a dry wine, rack in three weeks, and every three months for one year, Bottle.
For a sweet wine, rack at three weeks. Add 1/2 cup sugar or maple syrup dissolved in 1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor. Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart with the addition of sugar. Rack every three months until one year old, Bottle.
The wine is best if you can refrain from drinking it for one full year from the date it was started.

Any comments or suggestions are always appreciated..

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users