2 replies to this topic

#1 WineMind

WineMind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:lk

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

Just wanted to get some opinions on when you FIRST rack the wine off sediment. I know a lot of recipes call for around 3 weeks after transfer from primary to secondary. Is their any way you can tell when is the best time?

brian
Brian

#2 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9622 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

There aren't any hard and fast rules but, as a rule of thumb, you may want to consider racking anytime there is more than a half inch of sediment in the bottom of the carboy.

Typically I rack a minimum of two times. The first time will be about a week or so after fermentation completes. The second time is when I'm getting ready to bottle and want to rack off the sediment before filtering. Sometimes other rackings are required, for example, after adding fining agents. If I'm barrel aging, I also like to rack as clean as possible into the barrel, although that's simply a matter of personal preference.

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#3 waynes world winery

waynes world winery

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Wine/Beer Making
    Hunting
    Biking
    Auctions

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

Agree with NorthernWiner.
In general, I first press fruit at 1.04, then rack at about 1.02 from primary to secondary. I only rack the second time when the signs of fermintation end (basically the absence of bubbles around the must at the neck of the carboy). Thats when I add the first crushed campden tabs. Then rack every month or two as need or as I get bored and need something to do!
Wayne Hay,
Williamsburg, VA
<i>2012 Wines:</i>
5 gallons of Merlot; 10 gallons of Red Ale, 5 gallons of Skeeter Pee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users