• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff from STL

Jeff from STL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

I am so tired of buying those expensive concentrate wine kits and looking to step it up to ordering bulk juice for my little wine making basement. Anyone out there know who I can contact for just the juice? Thanks, Jeff

#2 Powelln

Powelln

New England Cellar Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • Interests:Wine & Winemaking (no, really!), Camping, Kayaking, Running,

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

Don't know what bulk quantities you're looking for, but one suggestion would be Kamil Juices. http://www.kamiljuices.com/ European vinifera juice. Expensive to buy and to ship, but I've heard very good quality. Some winemaking stores also sell sterile juice buckets. Beer-Wine.com in Woburn, MA has Mosti Mondiale sterile juice that I believe they will ship (you might be able to find a closer source for the same product).

And there is always the frozen juice/must from M&M Grape in Hartford, CT or the famous Brehm.

Hope that helps!
Noel

CEO & Winemaker of Aaronap Cellars

#3 Nanook37

Nanook37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:54 AM

To get it much cheaper than kits, you would have to order a lot of juice - A group of us in KC ordered some grapes but we had to order in 1000 lb increments and they sold white juice at about $6 to $10 a gallon (depending on grape) but you had to order around 200 gallons - so unless you want that much juice you are probably stuck with kits and getting local fresh juice during harvest time - most other approaches would be more expensive when shipping is considered.

#4 Hollywood Hill Vineyards

Hollywood Hill Vineyards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Interests:Grapegrowing and winemaking of course!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (Jeff from STL @ Dec 10 2008, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am so tired of buying those expensive concentrate wine kits and looking to step it up to ordering bulk juice for my little wine making basement. Anyone out there know who I can contact for just the juice? Thanks, Jeff

Check out this guy http://www.juicegrape.com/ I don't have experience with him, but he's been on several wine making groups for a while...

Steve Snyder
Owner/Winemaker/Grower
www.hollywoodhillvineyards.com

#5 Kheph

Kheph

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

Where are you at in STL Jeff?
PROUD TO BE A CHRISTIAN!!
http://www.myspace.com/98087163

JLM Wines
Per l'amore della famiglia

#6 Jeff from STL

Jeff from STL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

I am in Dogtown. Right by Forest Park. Looking to buy 6 gallon batches at a time and then moving up from there.

#7 dagobob

dagobob

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2188 posts
  • Interests:growing dahlias, beer and wine making, gardening, hunting, fishing

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Jeff from STL @ Dec 10 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in Dogtown. Right by Forest Park. Looking to buy 6 gallon batches at a time and then moving up from there.

Dogtown? Where's that? Near "The Hill"?
I went to Wash U. a few years back.

2014 Wines: Elderberry, Pear, Malbec, Muscat; Raspberry Melomel, Elderflower/Lemoncello

2013 Wines: Noiret; Muscat; Vignoles; Pear/Apple, Zinfandel/Merlot/Cab-Sav Blend; Elderberry; Blackberry/Elderberry;

#8 Jeff from STL

Jeff from STL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

I am right between the Hill and Forest Park.

#9 Julie W

Julie W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

I've been buying wine concentrates from www.homewinery.com. Each wine concentrate makes a 5 gallon batch of wine. Their prices are very cheap. I bought a Gewurtztraminer, a riesling and a blackberry, the cost with shipping came to approximately $115 for all three wine concentrates.

#10 Hidden Valley Wine

Hidden Valley Wine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

You might also try www.walkersfruitbasket.com Not sure if shipping would work out for you but I here they have good quality juice.

#11 Hidden Valley Wine

Hidden Valley Wine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Julile @ Dec 10 2008, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been buying wine concentrates from www.homewinery.com. Each wine concentrate makes a 5 gallon batch of wine. Their prices are very cheap. I bought a Gewurtztraminer, a riesling and a blackberry, the cost with shipping came to approximately $115 for all three wine concentrates.

I just checked out your site and you are right, they do have very good prices on the concentrates. Are any that you have made ready to drink and if so how would you rate there quality as to say against a kit. Wow I cant believe the price. If they are worth while I will be buying several myself.

#12 Julie W

Julie W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE (Hidden Valley Wine @ Dec 10 2008, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just checked out your site and you are right, they do have very good prices on the concentrates. Are any that you have made ready to drink and if so how would you rate there quality as to say against a kit. Wow I cant believe the price. If they are worth while I will be buying several myself.

I bottled the riesling last July and I only have 5 bottles left. This riesling was better than most that I have bought from a winery, everyone that has tasted it loves it and I have some pretty tough critics. I am trying to let these 5 bottles age but it sure is tasty. The blackberry is dynamite, this one I bottled in October and I am determined to let it age before I share with any of my friends but I will probably be dipping into a bottle here and there for myself. The gewurtz is still fermenting but I am expecting to be just has happy with it as I am with the other two.

#13 DrunkSkunk

DrunkSkunk

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:08 AM

You may have just a great favor for your retailer of juices. I checked out some of his beer making stuff too. Not too shabby. Maybe Joel can get him/her to be a sponsor here. That should boost things too.

#14 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:18 AM

I get great tips here.... added that one to supplies bookmark!!

Thanks!
Debbie
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

#15 billybahbah

billybahbah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:running, teaching, camping, biking. Started with making wine for my wedding. Now i'm addicted.

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (Julile @ Dec 11 2008, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bottled the riesling last July and I only have 5 bottles left. This riesling was better than most that I have bought from a winery, everyone that has tasted it loves it and I have some pretty tough critics. I am trying to let these 5 bottles age but it sure is tasty. The blackberry is dynamite, this one I bottled in October and I am determined to let it age before I share with any of my friends but I will probably be dipping into a bottle here and there for myself. The gewurtz is still fermenting but I am expecting to be just has happy with it as I am with the other two.

I just purchased a few this morning for for chirstmas gifts and for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users