Woops, Added 2x Metabisulfite, How To Fix
Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:07 PM
Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:13 PM
Stir, Stir, Stir.
Try not to induce too much air into your wine,
and Stir Stir Stir.
Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:16 PM
Posted 26 November 2004 - 04:37 AM
Let it sit for a week or so, and check it. If the burnt match smell is still evident. splash rack again. Since you only doubled the dose, your wine can probably be recovered.
Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:02 AM
I am not sure about the bound SO2. This may not come out. Also not sure if it settles out with the lees. Maybe some else knows how to get rid of bound SO2.
Waiting for the 2013 Harvest!
Posted 26 November 2004 - 04:03 PM
Most of this stuff has sulphites added, the recomendation to get rid of said sulphites is through heat (80deg for ten minutes) but I have no idea what that would do to your particular batch, maybe though you could use this method after fermentation complete, but before ageing
just a thought,be interested to find out what the others thought.
Chairman: Yorkshire Federation of Amateur Winemakers and Brewers
Acting Secretary: Yorkshire Federation of Amateur Winemakers and Brewers
Posted 26 November 2004 - 04:44 PM
Certified Wine Judge, WJC
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
Posted 26 November 2004 - 04:45 PM
Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:07 AM
I think it is a shame that you drink your chardonnay so quick. I think your chardonnay would be much better after 2 or 3 years. Have you been able to hold back any bottles for aging and tried them? Am I right?
Waiting for the 2013 Harvest!
Posted 27 November 2004 - 01:05 PM
splashing would help so I splahed the must 4 times. It never lowered to
less than 100 ppm. I wrote to Jack keller and he said to do this as many
times over a few days even to lower it. I checked my brother in law who
is a Chemist and he said a better way would be to infuse pure (I say again)
pure O2 into the mix. This should help. There is a third method, although
not mentioned very much its a last resort and only the experts should do
that is to put some Hydrogen Peroxide in it. I had the amount per 6 gal
but cant find the exact amount. But I believe its 1 cap of 3% H2O2 per
6 galUS. This will drop the So2 around 40 ppm instantly.
Posted 27 November 2004 - 01:10 PM
The peroxide trick works, but a couple of drops too much will turn a batch of wine into disgusting sludge. You're right, it shouldn't be attempted without the proper testing and calculations.
Posted 27 November 2004 - 01:15 PM
I almost didnt post this. Thanks Bart
Posted 27 November 2004 - 01:57 PM
on my original post. I Thought it a bit radical. But thanks for the reply.
Posted 27 November 2004 - 02:13 PM
I'm curious about your alterations of acid. You increase the acid by 50% with tartaric, and then do MLF to reduce malic acid? What does this do to the wine? Makes it more tart or less?
Posted 27 November 2004 - 02:17 PM
Acid levels of wine are generally reported "as tartaric acid". This does not mean that it is measuring the tartartic acid, just that the total amount of acid is the equivalent of X% tartaric acid.
Hope this helps;
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users