Photo

The Right Way To Make A White Zinfandel?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wireless

wireless

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a friend that gave me 1 gallon of his 2007 Chardonnay. I have 5 gallons of 2007 Red Zinfandel. I have another friend that likes White Zinfandel and has asked me to make him some.

What is the mix ratio to make a White Zinfandel? Also, if I remember correctly, White Zinfandels are a very slightly sweet to an off sweet wine. Am I correct?

Both my Red Zinfandel, and the Chardonnay are SG .990 dry. They both have been sulfited. If I need to sweeten the White Zinfandel, I will need to add Potassium sorbate.

My question is. I plan to add the gallon of chardonnay to a 6 gallon bucket, mix in the Red Zinfandel as needed, then add the Potassium sorbate, and sugar as needed. Then bottle right from the buckel. Is this an ok process, or does the potassium sorbate need to sit before adding sugar and bottling?

As always, thanks in advance.

Mike

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Times New Roman--><span style="font-family:Times New Roman"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Warning:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->The consumption of alcohol products may not be right for everyone. Women who are pregnant or nursing should not drink alcohol products.

Side effects may include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, incarceration, erotic lustfulness, loss of motor control, loss of clothing, loss of money, loss of virginity, pregnancy, delusions of grandeur, table dancing, headache, dehydration, dry mouth, and a desire to sing Karaoke, play all-night rounds of Strip Poker, Truth Or
Dare, Naked Twister and just may be a contributing factor in getting your curse kicked. Please drink responsibility<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#2 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4100 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

White Zin is a blush or rose, not a blend. It is made by crushing the grapes and pressing out the juice with a minimal skin contact. The process you are suggesting would work, but a little red goes a long way when blending into a white to make rose. As a result of the blend you are suggesting, you would probably end up with 75-90% Chardonnay, resulting in a wine that's not white Zin.
Howie Hart

#3 Briankos

Briankos

Hope I never stop learning!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1593 posts
  • Interests:Making wine and sharing it with friends around the firepit, fruit gardening, the outdoors, woodworking, muscle cars. THANKS TO ALL THE VETERANS!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:54 AM

Howie is right on..White Zin is made from Zin grapes pressed right away without fermenting on the skins. And the ones I have tried are in fact just off-dry. about 2% rs. Zin is a type of grape. Chardonnay is a type of grape. If you mix, then you do not have a Zin. Sorry.

Brian
Steven Wright: I made wine out of raisins so I wouldn't have to wait for it to age.

#4 WineO

WineO

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Wine Making, Boating, Sports Cars, Woodworking, Home DIY Projects.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:47 AM

As Howie said, White Zinfandel is not a blend. It is made by crushing the grapes and pressing out the juice with a minimal skin contact.

Blending your two wines will not make White Zinfandel.

It will be something similar to what we call in this area Dago Red. Dago Red is made with a blend of red Zinfandel and Muscato. Although Muscato could be substituted with another white wine. The usual blending ratio is two parts Zinfandel to one part Muscato. I made several different batches over the years and I like a 50/50 ratio the best, using Old Lodi Vine Zinfandel instead of regular Zinfandel.

I will ferment the two 6-gallons of each separately. Then, several months before bottling, I blend 3-gallons of each to make a 6-gallon batch of Dago Red. I then bottle the remaining Zinfandel and Mascato separately. This gives me three different styles of wine.

Bob

What's bubbling in the basement: 12-gal Merlot, 6-gal Viognier, 6-gal Pinot Gris, 6-gal Pinot Noir, 6-gal Sangiovese, 6-gal Melbec, 6-gal Cab/Sav,
6-gal Old Vine Zinfandel, 6-gal Amorone, 6-gal Muscato, 5-gal Cherry, 5-gal American Nut Brown Ale, 3-gal Hard Lemonade, 3-gal Concord

#5 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4100 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (WineO @ Nov 15 2008, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It will be something similar to what we call in this area Dago Red. Dago Red is made with a blend of red Zinfandel and Muscato...
I used to do a similar thing with Foch and Vidal. However, the two varieties ripen a month apart so I would keep the free rum Vidal separate as a white and blend the hard pressed with some of the already fermented Foch and let fermentation start again. Three very different wines.

Howie Hart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users