• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ob1leob

ob1leob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Made Vintner's Harvest Cherry,, went with the 5gal recipe,,, went perfectly !! Looks GREAT !! nice and dry... back sweetened,, but it tastes like CRAP !! VERY STRONG alcohol taste, added some cherry extract to try and bring back some body & flavor,, But still CRAP !! Well....more like cherry COUGH MEDICINE !! Just heard I should have used 2 cans for the 5gal recipe ( wish I had known that BEFORE I made the plum,,which is in its secondary !!) Sooooo.....any thoughts anyone

#2 SouthernMan

SouthernMan

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

What was the starting SG?
My Website

If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance.

George Bernard Shaw

#3 ob1leob

ob1leob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

Start Sg 1084
Now Sg .992

#4 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2375 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada, northwest of Toronto, via Ridgeway, ON
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (ob1leob @ Nov 11 2008, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Made Vintner's Harvest Cherry,, went with the 5gal recipe,,, went perfectly !! Looks GREAT !! nice and dry... back sweetened,, but it tastes like CRAP !! VERY STRONG alcohol taste, added some cherry extract to try and bring back some body & flavor,, But still CRAP !! Well....more like cherry COUGH MEDICINE !! Just heard I should have used 2 cans for the 5gal recipe ( wish I had known that BEFORE I made the plum,,which is in its secondary !!) Sooooo.....any thoughts anyone

Let it age several months and try it again. If it still tastes like cherry cough medicine,
label it "Buckley's". "It tastes terrible, and it works!"

Ken
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis (at least I like to think so)

#5 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

Make hot, mulled wine out of it. I add orange juice concentrate, cinnamon, cloves, allspice... mull those together until the spices mingle, then add the wine and just let warm... add sugar if it needs it... but probably won't.

Debbie
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

#6 Mr Casket Maker

Mr Casket Maker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:50 AM

Yeah for a good cherry taste two cans would do much better. If it is like caugh syrup then you may have over sweetened it (according to my wife that isn't possible) and that isn't the easiest thing to fix. The Mulled idea that Debbie gave is a good one or you could make a second batch but use two cans in the second batch. After that batch has finished fermenting blend the two batch's. That will definately bring the sugar level down but will cost you a couple months. After blending let them sit for 3 months before tasting again. This will give the wine a chance to mellow out and lose a little of it's hottness. Then again the batch you currently have may just need some time to mellow. smile.gif
Marc Johnson
V.P. Morbid Desire Hearse Club, truck driver, bass player, winemaker, gardener, house restorer, electrician, plumber, babysitter and chief cook and bottle washer. Then again can you realy learn anything about a person by their signature line???
"Friends shoot you in the front" Oscar Wylde

#7 Grapemadness

Grapemadness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, archery hunting, sometimes both in the same day!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

I made a cherry wine with local cherry's in the summer of 07 and when it was done I sweetened some and add a small amount of vodka to dilute it, it tasted like cough syrup, so I let it sit some and started giving it away to friend's, now that I gave half of it away it''s wonderful, kinda of a cherry port. Just needed to age longer. Don't give up hope yet. Let it mellow out for a bit!
Bubble Bubble Toil and Trouble

To many to list!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users