#1 del Sol

del Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:04 AM

Hello All,
I've just been gived a few dozen used wine bottles. I plan to thoroughly wash them using soapy hot water, using a bottle brush, then "bake" them in the oven,let 'em cool, then finally rinse them in sulphite, store 'em upside down for a few hours, and bottle.
Would 30 minutes at 250 F. be OK? Should I pre-heat the oven?
Just being ultra-cautious.
Thanks, del Sol. :rolleyes:

#2 ronmar1

ronmar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:26 AM

I think you're right! You're being ultra cautious. I'd wash as you suggest, perhaps add a little bleach to the wash, rinse well and rinse again with SO2 solution.

The baking seems troublesome, and dangerious. If properly washed and then sulfited, that should be suficent. The hot oven temperature might risk breaking the glass as it is not oven proof.

IMHO
Ron

#3 lash

lash

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:54 AM

I have oven-sterilized beer and wine bottles for many years. I have never had a problem.

I don't preheat. I just put the bottles in. Turn the oven to 325 and come back in 35 minutes. I figure that I get about 20+ minutes at 325. I turn the oven off. Wait a couple of hours (they are smokin' hot). And, take them out.

I make sure that my bottles are super clean, but I don't pre-sterilize.

#4 breumyster

breumyster

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (ronmar1 @ Nov 22 2004, 07:58 AM)
The baking seems troublesome, and dangerious.

I agree. If not properly controlled, heating and cooling glass can weaken it. Some glass, such as lab glass (Pyrex, etx.) is autoclavable and designed to take the stess of heating and cooling. To my knowledge, wine bottles are not.

Washing, and a good soak in a sanitizing solution of your choice (bleach, iodophor, etc.) is more than sufficient to prepare your bottles for filling.

#5 cmoore

cmoore

WinePress.US Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:00 AM

I have to agree with Breumyster and ronmar, and would be a little worried about the baking method. I have seen a lot of bottles with air bubbles and they might blow up in a heated oven. I always just wash thoroughly and sanitize, it works fine.

Cheryl
Dream like you will live forever. Live like there is no tomorrow.

#6 Psyguy

Psyguy

Much to learn

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:06 AM

I just spent this last weekend washing and sorting a "few dozen" bottles myself - about 200 actually! huh.gif By cleaning them out with a good cleaner and bottle brush and then storing them neck down in boxes, I wouldn't think twice about giving them a squirt of k-meta solution and filling them when I am ready next time. It never occurred to me to oven bake them to clean them. Of course, if never occurred to me to irradiate them to sanitze either, but I'm sure if I wanted to be uber-over-cautious.... laugh.gif
If I ever get a break from work - at home and at work - I just might get some wine made.
-Jevin

#7 del Sol

del Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:16 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.
Concensus seems to be "forget the baking."
GREAT....saves me one tedious step!!!
Cheers, del Sol smile.gif

#8 Vinmaker

Vinmaker

Winemaker

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7129 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:34 AM

I am late to the party. Here is my two cents. I agree with all the others. No need to take the risk. A good oxidizer like bleach will clean and kill almost anything. Rinse them out good. Store them upside down. Sulfite before bottling and you are good to go. No worries.

Happily Winemaking.

Waiting for the 2013 Harvest!

#9 WineThief

WineThief

Hooked on WinePress.US

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3021 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making.. :)

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:16 AM

Me too, I Just wash well with dish soap, rinse very very well, then dry on a bottle rack and store them with a piece of foil folded over the top. Then when I am ready to use them I sulfite them to sanitize and then fill them.. Personally I think baking is not necessary for wine bottles..
In the immortal words of Ben Franklin,
"WINE IS A CONSTANT REMINDER THAT GOD LOVES US AND LOVES TO SEE US HAPPY"
Terry Neve

#10 breumyster

breumyster

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:24 PM

Items made from borosilicate glass are marked Pyrex or Kimax and are suitable for heating in the oven. Just about all beer bottles, and most wine bottles, are made from soda lime glass, which is not designed to be heated.

Baking your bottles in the oven is unnecessary and an invitation to trouble, IMHO. Suitable levels of sanitation can be achieved without the extra hassle and/or risk.

To each his own...

#11 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (WineThief @ Nov 22 2004, 11:48 AM)
Me too, I Just wash well with dish soap, rinse very very well, then dry on a bottle rack and store them with a piece of foil folded over the top. Then when I am ready to use them I sulfite them to sanitize and then fill them.. Personally I think baking is not necessary for wine bottles..

I do the same as Terry, except nothing goes over the top of my bottles.
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

#12 Vinmaker

Vinmaker

Winemaker

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7129 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:55 PM

Vino. You raise some interesting points. I would have to agree with you about the blast of hot tap water on a cold bottle.

But regarding the heat of the oven. If one would think that boiling bottles, such as baby bottles, are a good way to sanitise them, then the oven should not be a big deal. Also, I do not know what a home dishwasher on sanitize mode or self dry mode heats up to, but it is very hot. I have cleaned out the dishes when done and felt them. Ouch.

Boiled water is at 212 Deg. Far. It cannot get any hotter. Period. (otherwise it becomes a gas (ie steam))

If the oven is set to a like temperature, then the effect should be the same. I would think that no harm would be done. You could also do about 4 cases at a time. Nice time saver.

Happily Winemaking.

Waiting for the 2013 Harvest!

#13 bdavidh

bdavidh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:20 PM

For what it's worth;
Dry Heat Sterilization is achieved at;
Temperature
170 degrees C (340 degrees F) - 1 hour
160 degrees C (320 degrees F) - 2 hours
150 degrees C (300 degrees F) - 2.5 hours
140 degrees C (285 degrees F) - 3 hours

Steam Heat Sterilization occurs at;
Glassware: 250oF (121oC) for a minimum of 25 min.

Steam Heat requires all air be replaced by steam. In other words, 100% humidity.

I put myself through college while working in a Medical Lab, our Docs required all sterilization to be @ 275F for 1 hour, before they felt comfortable with the safety of the equipment.

Personally, I think I'll stick with the chemical sterilization.

#14 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:02 AM

Sterilization is not required in wine making, only sanitation.
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

#15 breumyster

breumyster

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:42 AM

Even with all of the assurances that it "should be OK" and "I've done it many times", the fact still remains that there are types of glass that are designed to be heated above 212F, and those that aren't. As long as that's the case, I'll stick to the simpler (and potentially safer) forms of sanitization. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users