#1 sbl

sbl

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Fruit wines

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:18 AM

When yeast get too cold (below normal active range) do they just go dormant until it warms back up ir does it kill the yeast?

Also, when directions require activation at temps like 105F, how shoud you lower the temp of the activated yeast to working temp of must--especially when that will be near lower limit?
Bulk aging/clarifying; Merlot, Chocolate Raspberry Port.
Bottled: Blueberry, Choc. Raspberry Port, Stags Leap Cab, Elderberry, Fig, Coastal Red, Bergamais, Merlot, Barolo, Lodi Ranch 11, Napa River Ranch Cab.

#2 Bunghole

Bunghole

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • Interests:Making Home Made Wine, Fishing, Computers, Horror Movies, Making Home Made Wine :)

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (sbl @ Nov 11 2008, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When yeast get too cold (below normal active range) do they just go dormant until it warms back up ir does it kill the yeast?

Also, when directions require activation at temps like 105F, how shoud you lower the temp of the activated yeast to working temp of must--especially when that will be near lower limit?

The yeast go dormant but if the temp gets below freezing then the yeast can die.I dont raise water temp to activate a yeast culture, what I do is add yeast to room temperature mustJohn
WARNING: Reading the posts in this forum can and will lead to a Wine Making Addiction and can cause you to buy more accessories

Who said money cant buy happiness did not know which Wine Supply Stores to shop at.

#3 Luc Volders

Luc Volders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking bookbinding reading scubadiving Photography bycicle-riding cheesemaking

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (sbl @ Nov 11 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They go dormant. Trust me on this, even freezing will
not kill all yeast.

Like Bunghole said: add yeast to room temperature must.

Luc
Luc's wijnmaker web-log
or have a look at my girlfriends art:
The art of Els Mulder

#4 Jimraelee

Jimraelee

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (Luc Volders @ Nov 11 2008, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not kill all yeast.

A little experience talking there???? I think oups's are a good ting at times... its how we learn.
FERMENTING
6gal Cab port

AGING
8gal Chardonnay port
20gal Riesling
13gal "way too late to be picked, mix
8gal cranberry
12gal Gewurztaminer

#5 sbl

sbl

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Fruit wines

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (Luc Volders @ Nov 11 2008, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not kill all yeast.

Like Bunghole said: add yeast to room temperature must.

Luc

Thanks, My chiller is a converted freezer and it is sometimes exposed to temperatures below the set point of 65. When I restarted my blueberry wine it was starting to work, but stopped when the chiller dropped to 60.

SL

#6 mute dog

mute dog

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:internet, web design, design, wine making, DIY, travelling

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:16 AM

your chiller would be a heater in my house right now...

I'm going to need to get a heating belt if I want to ferment anything this winter.
Matt
My blog: updates on my wine making and other stuff going on in my life...

#7 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13136 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:38 AM

Yeast populations rarely die when frozen in must. Slightly different story when they are dry but I digress. The process will go dormant as temps fall and then wake up again when they get more hospitible. As long as they have something to eat when they wake up, they will be fine.

As for rehydrating yeast, the most reliable procedure is to add the freeze dried yeast to 105F chlorine free water along with your favorite rehyration nutrient. Keep it well stirred for 20 minutes (no longer or the yeast begin to suffer from lack of food) and then begin adding only enough must to lower the temp by 10F. Wait another 20 minutes and add more must to lower the temp another 10F. Keep this going until your culture is within 10F of the must and then pitch it.

BTW, macerating enzymes, tannins and Nitrogen containing nutrients such as DAP should not be added to the starter culture. Add the macerating enzymes to the must during crush, the tannins after fermentation gets started and the Nitrogen as the ferment approaches 20-30% drop in sugar. Too much Nitrogen can be detrimental to yeast development so it is best to wait until the population reaches a substantial density before adding it.
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users