• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kg233

kg233

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

I am thinking about using sanitized glass marbles to top up. My concern is finding some that won't be harmful, yes I am paranoid of the Made in China stuff due to all the problems lately. (Almost all that I am finding are made in China). I found a place online that has clear glass marbles/gems that are made in Mexico. I figure since my carboys were made in Mexico - that might be the way to go???

Otherwise, I will top up with wine. Looking for suggestions for a Mosti Fresco Barolo, in case I do not go with the marble option.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have heard that glass marbles can chip the carboys too - just wondering if that is a big issue. smileycheers.gif

#2 SouthernMan

SouthernMan

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

I no longer use marbles, because I ended up chipping one of my carboys and I took it easy putting them in the carboy. Whenever I make wine, I make more than what I need so that I have extra to top up with.
My Website

If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance.

George Bernard Shaw

#3 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2360 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada, northwest of Toronto, via Ridgeway, ON
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

I used marbles in a gallon jug, but I dropped them into the sanitized cut off leg of a nylon stocking my wife didn't need, holding it off the bottom of the jug until the wine level was to the top. When I let it go, it was almost on the bottom of the jug anyway, so it did no damage.
For marbles, you might try an arts and crafts store.

Ken wave.gif
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis (at least I like to think so)

#4 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

Glass carboys are no longer made in Mexico.

#5 Riker

Riker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

Not sure where they were made, but I found some large, pancake shaped, silver dollar-sized ones that I use in my 3 gallon better bottle and also some smaller more round marbles that can fit into a carboy...both at Target.
Oaking:
- 15 gallons of cabernet sauvignon (Lodi)

Secondary:
- 1 gallon apple

Primary:
- 2 gallons Pomegranate-Concord

Clearing:
-1.5 gallons pumpkin wine (nice thread...great idea!)

#6 Nankingcherry

Nankingcherry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, bow hunting, fishing, cooking, gardening.
    former Army S.F. and devoted packer fan.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

I know I used to have marbles... but everyone tells me I've lost them tongue.gif

#7 wine maker wannabe

wine maker wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, piano playing, gardening, reading. I am a 7th grade science teacher.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

I have used the marble method, and it works but I think it is easier to just have several different sized containers on hand. Your local home brew shop should have bungs to fit many sizes, including the standard 750 ml wine bottle. Also it is just one more thing to wash and sanitize, which is not my favorite thing!

Mark
Mark Brown

#8 Luc Volders

Luc Volders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking bookbinding reading scubadiving Photography bycicle-riding cheesemaking

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (red_feet @ Nov 4 2008, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used marbles in a gallon jug, but I dropped them into the sanitized cut off leg of a nylon stocking my wife didn't need, holding it off the bottom of the jug until the wine level was to the top. When I let it go, it was almost on the bottom of the jug anyway, so it did no damage.
For marbles, you might try an arts and crafts store.

Ken wave.gif

Same way I do it nowadays luxhello.gif

Luc
Luc's wijnmaker web-log
or have a look at my girlfriends art:
The art of Els Mulder

#9 D&S

D&S

What are you lookin' at?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:45 AM

I have used clear glass marbles in the past but no longer do it for several reasons. First, the cost of marbles is often more than the cost of buying extra grapes or juice to have around as top up wine. Secondly, I've found it increases my losses in subsequent rackings. Wine gets trapped between the marbles layers yet sediment collects on the top layer. Finally, it's additional work to get the marbles out and cleaned up.

For me, it's much easier to get some of last year's wine (or a similar
commercial wine) in an emergency.

#10 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2360 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada, northwest of Toronto, via Ridgeway, ON
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Luc Volders @ Nov 4 2008, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same way I do it nowadays luxhello.gif

Luc

Great minds think alike . . . but I also believe in coincidence. laugh.gif

Ken wave.gif
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis (at least I like to think so)

#11 A_perfect_ashler

A_perfect_ashler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Wine making with free or cheap ingreds. berries I pick or wild grapes. And meads. Freemasonry. A Moderator on makingwine at yahoo.com.

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (kg233 @ Nov 3 2008, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Otherwise, I will top up with wine. Looking for suggestions for a Mosti Fresco Barolo, in case I do not go with the marble option.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have heard that glass marbles can chip the carboys too - just wondering if that is a big issue. smileycheers.gif

Get a 4L jug of comerical Itallian style jug wine, top up with that and chug the rest. smileycheers.gif

Next time make a batch that is larger than your carboy, put the excess in the 4L jug, and a decreasing series of smaller bottles and ferment them alongside the main batch then use them to top up with. Use the smaller bottled first then split up the larger bottles as needed. For these you can use 4L, 3L, 1.5 L, .75L right on down.

Dave Warner
To drink the bubbles is heavenly, to put them in is devine!  David F. Warner 2005

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. It was belived this would insure fertility. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.
da"Penicillin cures, but wine makes people happy." Alexander Fleming (1881-1955), the Scottish bacteriologist who discovered Penicillin in 1928.

#12 shoelesst

shoelesst

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:23 AM

I tried the marble thing, but came to conclusion that, for me, it wasn't worth it. The amount you have to spend in marbles to actually make up an inch or two of head space, you might as well just buy another box of grapes.
Always have a variety of sizes of glass around and you should be able to get pretty close to perfect without going through the marble trouble.
I make 5 gallons of second run, put it into gallon, 3L and 1/2 gallon glass and use it when I need to top off if I run out of the regular wine.
By summer, we've racked a few times, we keep 2, 1/2 gallons jugs for topping and make Sangria out of the rest.
Tony Campanella

#13 Medsen Fey

Medsen Fey

Fuselier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't worry about marbles, other liquids, or other sized containers and just flushes the headspace with inert gas? wink.gif
Lanne pase toujou pi bon.
(Past years are always better)

#14 kg233

kg233

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

I appreciate everyone's advice/comments. I wish I could have bought an extra gallon of juice, but it was a Mosti Mondiale bucket which was only available in 6 gallon increments. So I am stuck, couldn't get anything extra to top up. (I will be making some wine from grapes yet so I will definitely get extra for topping up). Might just invest in a 5 gallon better bottle or try the inert gas for this one then. Thanks again!

#15 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

I've seen you all talk of "inert gas" before.... where do you get it, how is it supplied, and are any extra supplies needed to accomplish it?

Debbie
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users