• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jrush82

jrush82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

When do i Rack. Today I racked from primary to glass carboy. the air lock is going crazy. the SG is now 1.000. how long will this go on before i rack again. (concord grapes)

#2 mokadir

mokadir

Cellar Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3083 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

You would rack when the airlock is completely quiet and the SG isn't changing for a few days. There is no need for a quick transfer unless there is a significant amount of "gross" lees.
Bob
2014: Red Hills Cab, Yakima Merlot, Muscato d'Asti style, Inlaws Bordeaux blend
2013 awaiting Barrel: Yakima Syrah, Gren/PS for Rhone blending
BARRELING: friends CV OV Zin 13, Inlaws Bordeaux Blend 13, Yakima Sangiovese 13
Awaiting bottle: Lake County Montepulciano 12, Yakima Pinot Noir 12

#3 Youie

Youie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (mokadir @ Oct 15 2008, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You would rack when the airlock is completely quiet and the SG isn't changing for a few days. There is no need for a quick transfer unless there is a significant amount of "gross" lees.

Sorry for jumping in, but i understood that we should rack off of the gross lees after 2 days no matter what.
Could someone clarify pls?

#4 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2392 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada, northwest of Toronto, via Ridgeway, ON
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Youie @ Oct 15 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for jumping in, but i understood that we should rack off of the gross lees after 2 days no matter what.
Could someone clarify pls?

The gross lees are also in the primary fermenter while active fermentation is going on, and they do no harm there. If significant fermentation activity is still going on in the secondary, it shouldn't do harm there either, IMHO. However, once the fermentation is close to complete, I'd rack my wine off the gross lees between 24 to 48 hours.
In my own case, I let the primary go for around 7 days, pushing down the cap 3 or 4 times daily. By the time I transfer to the secondary, the fermentation is slow enough that I rack again within 48 hours.

Ken wave.gif
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis (at least I like to think so)

#5 Youie

Youie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (red_feet @ Oct 15 2008, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The gross lees are also in the primary fermenter while active fermentation is going on, and they do no harm there. If significant fermentation activity is still going on in the secondary, it shouldn't do harm there either, IMHO. However, once the fermentation is close to complete, I'd rack my wine off the gross lees between 24 to 48 hours.
In my own case, I let the primary go for around 7 days, pushing down the cap 3 or 4 times daily. By the time I transfer to the secondary, the fermentation is slow enough that I rack again within 48 hours.

Ken wave.gif

Thanks ken for your reply,
So if i understand correctly, if my secondary fermentation is still going strong, i should wait till it slows down, before racking off the gross lees?

Youie smileytoast.gif

#6 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2392 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada, northwest of Toronto, via Ridgeway, ON
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Youie @ Oct 16 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks ken for your reply,
So if i understand correctly, if my secondary fermentation is still going strong, i should wait till it slows down, before racking off the gross lees?

Youie smileytoast.gif

That's the way I would handle it. Maybe others can add more info.

Ken wave.gif
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis (at least I like to think so)

#7 mokadir

mokadir

Cellar Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3083 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

I don't have THE definitive answer, but will describe my thoughts. I try to get it off the gross lees within 48 hours. I sometimes start to get a little bit of a H2S stink if not. Although I agree that they are in the primary, they get stirred up off the bottom 4 times a day when I punch down, etc. In a carboy, they sit and get compressed. My opinion is that that may not be a good thing. When I do rack off the gross lees, I have not had a wine not go to completion. So, I see no reason not to rack off.
Bob
2014: Red Hills Cab, Yakima Merlot, Muscato d'Asti style, Inlaws Bordeaux blend
2013 awaiting Barrel: Yakima Syrah, Gren/PS for Rhone blending
BARRELING: friends CV OV Zin 13, Inlaws Bordeaux Blend 13, Yakima Sangiovese 13
Awaiting bottle: Lake County Montepulciano 12, Yakima Pinot Noir 12

#8 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

For reds, you should rack 24-48hrs after the press. The wine coming off the press will throw lot's of sediments and they will give bad off-flavors if left for a prolonged period of time in the wine. Once you have racked, you can wait for the next racking at the end of the MLF or even CS if you have to do one.

For the white, if you ferment in an open top fermenter you should rack when the SG is around 1,010 as they are more sensitive to oxydation. Once in carboy, wait few days after the completion of the fermentation for the lees to drop down and rack. For a white in carboy this is really easy to see the sediment as the color and texture is not the same. Rack off theses sediments as soon as they have drop.
Sébastien Mailloux
Certified Wine Judge, WJC
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#9 Youie

Youie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Seb @ Oct 16 2008, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For reds, you should rack 24-48hrs after the press. The wine coming off the press will throw lot's of sediments and they will give bad off-flavors if left for a prolonged period of time in the wine. Once you have racked, you can wait for the next racking at the end of the MLF or even CS if you have to do one.

For the white, if you ferment in an open top fermenter you should rack when the SG is around 1,010 as they are more sensitive to oxydation. Once in carboy, wait few days after the completion of the fermentation for the lees to drop down and rack. For a white in carboy this is really easy to see the sediment as the color and texture is not the same. Rack off theses sediments as soon as they have drop.

Seb,

sorry if i come back to this point, but if i still have a lot of bubbling going on my airlock, should i still rack after 48 hours?
One again sorry if i'm a pain in the butt.

Youie

#10 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (Youie @ Oct 16 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seb,

sorry if i come back to this point, but if i still have a lot of bubbling going on my airlock, should i still rack after 48 hours?
One again sorry if i'm a pain in the butt.

Youie

I should have all your infos to give good advice. What is grapes or juice or kit ? White, red ? You can contact me with a PM and I will guide you. But you need to measure the SG of your wine to know where you are in the fermentation. If you just look at the bubbling it can be erroneous. It could be just some trapped Co2 coming out, MLF going on, etc.. Measure the SG and if the fermentation is complete and you have not rack yet from the gross lees ( I mean here the first racking after the press if you work with fresh grapes ), do it no more than 48hrs after the end of the fermentation. It's not good for the wine to do a long MLF on the lees. Again, I'm all refering here to a wine made from grapes. If you work with juice only or kit, this is different. Feel free to send me a PM or email.
Sébastien Mailloux
Certified Wine Judge, WJC
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users