#1 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4123 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:55 AM

Hummus
Hummus is a cream of chick peas with garlic, lemon and olive oil, from Lebanon.

4 garlic cloves
2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup sesame seeds
Zest from one lemon
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)

Turn on the food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop the garlic down the feed tube; process until it's minced. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. If necessary for consistency, add some of the liquid reserved from the canned chickpeas. Taste, for seasoning, and serve chilled or at room temperature with Pita bread wedges.
Howie Hart

#2 Little Blind Guy

Little Blind Guy

Often Mistaken for Bacchus

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2492 posts
  • Interests:I'm actually rather boring...

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

Don't stop there. Also try roasted garlic and any seasonings your heart desires.
Martin Blind

Find me on Facebook

#3 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4123 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

I agree there are variations (chopped roasted red peppers!), however, at a wine picnic I hosted a few years ago, I made the above recipe and one woman, who was native Lebanese, proclaimed it "authentic". BTW - it freezes very nicely.
Howie Hart

#4 MinnesotaMaker

MinnesotaMaker

Nut (wine and otherwise)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Gardening, Preserving, Old Cameras, Karaoke, Motorcycling, Hunting

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

I make hummus quite often. I don't really follow a recipe or measure my ingredients, so it comes out slightly different every time. I like to change it up based on what is in the garden. One thing I do differently from the recipe above is that I ALWAYS add cumin; at least a 1/2 teaspoon per can of garbonzos. I make mine in the blender to give it a smooth dip like texture.

Additions I've had luck with:
Tahini - takes the place of the sesame seeds and some of the olive oil
Onions or chives from the garden
Bell pepper, you pick the color
Hot peppers
Lemon pepper or red pepper seasoning
Peanut butter

We eat it with wheat crackers.

#5 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

Tahini is a must and in all authentic recipes, peanut butter can be used a a substitute however is not the same.
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#6 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9644 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (croat @ Oct 6 2008, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tahini is a must and in all authentic recipes, peanut butter can be used a a substitute however is not the same.

Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds and oil, both of which are included in Howie's recipe

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#7 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:18 PM

Not really, tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds alone (no other ingredients). Normally tahini is made with lightly roasted seeds (and the hulls removed). Honestly I have used sesame seeds in the past when I didn't have any tahini and I slightly roasted them however it is not the same and the taste was not the same. A consistent/smooth hummus requires tahini and at every restaurant I've worked at that has served hummus has had an almost identical recipe which consisted of chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and salt.
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#8 Monkeywine

Monkeywine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving, rock climbing, reading, building things, playing with my son, learning new things and now wine making

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:32 AM

This is an old post and I actually have never made hummus BUT I have made a great substitute for pita bread to go with it. Its called na'an bread. Its an indian flat bread and it has a great buttery taste. I always chop up some cloves of garlic and fold it in once the dough has risen. I unfortunately dont have my recipe on hand right now but I pulled it off the internet and its easy to find. I will look for the recipe i used and like and add it to this post later.

#9 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4014 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

That monkey has his hands into everything, it seems... hey... kinda like MEEEEEE!!

Debbie
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

#10 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

How to trap a monkey. Put a peanut into a small hole in a tree. The monkey will squish his hand to grab the peanut, and his little tight fist will not let that peanut go. He is trapped by his desire!

#11 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4014 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

LOL....

HEY MONKEY.... C'MERE.....

In this case... money might work too... I wonder....

BRB.... gonna go put money in the tree!

Debbie
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

#12 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

LOL....

HEY MONKEY.... C'MERE.....

In this case... money might work too... I wonder....

BRB.... gonna go put money in the tree!

Debbie

Deb, are you sure? there is a monkey in the news that scratched off the face of this nice lady...is a chimp a monkey? I think so.

#13 Monkeywine

Monkeywine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving, rock climbing, reading, building things, playing with my son, learning new things and now wine making

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

That chimp had a very idiotic owner that gave it human prescription pills to calm it down and that's why it went crazy.

And yes money would work much better Deb. That or caffeine lol.

I like to learn new things and love to cook. I learned about na'an bread while I was in Iraq from an indian friend I met.

Next I will post recipes for some Filipino foods. Ill leave the pigs blood soup, fried monkey blood and chilled monkey brain recipes out though. Too hard to find monkeys this time of year even with money in a knot hole

#14 58limited

58limited

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Homebrewing, classic cars, antiques, reading.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

My hummus recipe is very much like Howie's but I use Tahini instead of the sesame seeds and I use cumin. The next time I make it I'm going to use sun dried tomatoes. Roasted garlic rather than fresh would be good too and sometimes I add hot peppers or harissa. I make pita chips to serve with the hummus:

Quarter pita bread, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Bake in 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin

#15 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yes tahini is essential - and all hummus is - is chickpeas, tahini, and olive oil with whatever spice/veggie you want to add.

Be fun - make all kinds .... this years favorite is garden cilantro + garden jalepeno's + fresh ground cumin :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users