Photo

Old Home Made Grape Wine Recipe Without Campden Tablets?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WinesWorth

WinesWorth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

I am looking for a old home wine recipe that was used before campden tablets was available for sterilizing the must. I beleive the grapes were boiled to sterilize the must before starting the ferment.

#2 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9638 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

Is there a particular reason you want to go that route? Old home wine recipes generally produced poor results. Technology, including the advent of Campden, has resulted in much better wines.

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#3 mokadir

mokadir

Cellar Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

The old way was to let the grapes sit and they will start fermenting on their own with whatever yeast(s) happened to already be on the grapes. Sounds like a crapshoot to me, with the odds not in my favor.

I'm with Steve. I'd rather spend the nickel to use SO2 and then put out the 75 cents and get a packet of yeast that was selected specifically for the purpose of fermenting fine wines.
Bob
2014: Red Hills Cab, Yakima Merlot, Muscato d'Asti style, Inlaws Bordeaux blend
2013 awaiting Barrel: Yakima Syrah, Gren/PS for Rhone blending
BARRELING: friends CV OV Zin 13, Inlaws Bordeaux Blend 13, Yakima Sangiovese 13
Awaiting bottle: Lake County Montepulciano 12, Yakima Pinot Noir 12

#4 bzac

bzac

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6554 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

Boil the grapes! mon dieux! maybe some old crappy kosher recipies but boiling grapes is not traditional in any wine making country. even kosher wineries in isreal don't boil grapes. the romans discovered the use of SO2 as a preservative , is that traditional enough ?

if you realy don't want to use so2 , you can.
make sure all your wine gear is very sanitary ,

Prep a very strong yeast culture useing double the yeast packets you normaly would
as soon as the grapes are crushed add your rageing yeast culture and stir it in so it gets started long before the wild yeast can.

make the wine as normal hope like hell it doesn't spoil, clarify and bottle , drink it all young as it will have trouble ageing

or just add the So2 , make your life easier , yeast produces some SO2 natrualy durring a ferment anyway so you can't avoid it.

one advantage of being a home winemaker is that you can get away with lower levels of SO2 than commercial wine becasue you don't have to protect against shipping or long shelf storage if you have a nice cool spot to store your wine.

Zac Brown

#5 RSG

RSG

what if I just tweek it once more...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, hunting and fishing, Building things.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

I have friends who just crushes and walk away....they don't even de-stem. They seem to like it but their kids can't stand drinking it.

Old world ways...no sense in trying to change them....
Ron Gardiner

#6 fmestas

fmestas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Location:Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM, Elevation: 5000 ft, GDD: 3600

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (WinesWorth @ Sep 17 2008, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am looking for a old home wine recipe that was used before campden tablets was available for sterilizing the must. I beleive the grapes were boiled to sterilize the must before starting the ferment.

Unless the grapes are in poor condition or you are doing something special like a cold soak, there is no need to use SO2 (campden tabs) prior to fermentation. Just pitch the yeast and let it go... almost all comercial yeast will quickly out compete any other microbes present in the must. Unless you want "jelly flavored wine" stay away from the boiling thing...

After fermentation, however, is a different story. Depending on wine ph and time frame for drinking, you will want to use at least a little SO2.

Frank
Frank Mestas

www.elsranxos.com

"The absence of defects is not the presence of virtues" - Sean Thackrey

#7 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Home Theater, RC Planes, Ham Radio, Solar Electric

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

In engineering we call it Best Practices. There are always multiple ways to do things but there are also Best Practices. Anytime you deviate from Best Practices you add risk and variability to the process. As a home winemaker, the choices are always yours. I have found that the majority of people making wine here really want to use the Best Practices they can. We can't use all of the processes that commercial guys use. I would love to be able to drop a single drop or two of liquid nitrogen into my bottle of wine just prior to corking it but it is not practical so I do the best I can. I am able to select optimum yeasts and Malo Cultures and monitor my fermentations closely. I think Zac's post gives a good look at some of the warnings and potential problems one might run into by not using a proper sulfite regimen. Again the choice is always up to the winemaker.

..Doyle

#8 minooch

minooch

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:enjoy making wine. enjoy entering wine contests. bowhunting <br />for deer , small game hunting. cooking

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

I have a few italian friends that make cooked wine. what they do is crush there grapes . Take a pot that holds 5 to 6 quarts add crushed grapes to the pot. they cook down the grapes until it thickens. then they add it to there primary fermentation vessel let it all ferment natuarlly. they do red and white wine this way. let me tell you one glass of theire wine will put you in zoo- zoo land. thats how strong it is. They do not add anything to theire wines . not even k-meta. Thats there old fashion way of making wine. sorry but thats not my style. wine should be soothing when you drink it not torture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carmine

#9 Steve in KC

Steve in KC

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Wine, bbq, chess

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (fmestas @ Sep 17 2008, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you want "jelly flavored wine" stay away from the boiling thing...

I see that a lot of people use steam extractors for fruit wine.

Doesn't steam extraction impact a 'cooked' taste or impact on the juice?
Planned for this year: 6gal Elderberry, 3gal JK's heavy bodied blackberry, 6 gal Persimmon, 6gal Apple, 6gal Niagra, 6gal White Merlot/Straw Island Mist kit

In Primary -3 gal of JK's heavy bodied Blackberry
In Secondary - nada
Undergoing MLF - 5 gal of Baco Noir (8/27/08)
Bulk Aging - 4 gal Concord (from grapes) and elderberry
Bottled- 1 gal Pear/Cinnamon Mead - crap, 1 gal Blueberry Melomel - ok, 4 gal JAO Mead - ok, 6 gal WE Mango Cit. Sym - very good, 1 gal Concord - crap, 6 gal WE Luna Rossa - fantastico!, 1 gal Black and Blue Mead, 1 gal JK's Heavy Bodied Blackberry - to die for (only 1 bottle left! sniff sniff), 3 Gal WE Selection Port - will be good in another 6 months, 2 gal Niagra / Apple blend - wunderbar!

#10 Celler

Celler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (WinesWorth @ Sep 17 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first 3 batches I made were all natural no added yeast or campden tablets all of the wine came out fine but now I Sulfite the wine and add certified wine yeast no reason to take a chance on getting a wild yeast way to much money to spend on vinegar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users