9 replies to this topic

#1 FrankD

FrankD

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

I've read recipes where it doesn't specifically say if you have to wait to sweeten after stabilizing. Do you stabilize and add sugar at the same time, or is there a waiting period for the stabilizer to work? Please solve this mystery for the newbie that I am! Also, do you always add sugar to boiling water, wait to cool, then pour in wine? I hear a little bit of everything, but would like a solid answer. Thanks so much!

-Frank

#2 Herb_08161947

Herb_08161947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Bees, Honey, Vineyards, Growing Sorghum, General Horticulture

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (FrankD @ Sep 7 2008, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've read recipes where it doesn't specifically say if you have to wait to sweeten after stabilizing. Do you stabilize and add sugar at the same time, or is there a waiting period for the stabilizer to work? Please solve this mystery for the newbie that I am! Also, do you always add sugar to boiling water, wait to cool, then pour in wine? I hear a little bit of everything, but would like a solid answer. Thanks so much!

-Frank

Well - here is what I do - about one month after stabilization I filter and wait another month - then sweeten and add sorbate then wait another month before bottling.... at bottling I may consider an additional filtration.
Herb McIntyre
Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu Melekh ha‑olam, bo're p'ri ha‑gafen.
Retired and growing grapes near the coast of NC
34°46'43.13"N 78°29'9.65"W

#3 Bunghole

Bunghole

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • Interests:Making Home Made Wine, Fishing, Computers, Horror Movies, Making Home Made Wine :)

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (FrankD @ Sep 7 2008, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-Frank

You want the wine to be stabilized so when you add sugars into the wine they wont cause suspended yeast to start fermentation again

Alot of people wait around 3 weeks, some wait longer.

I made an Apple Wine that ended up dry and bitter tasteing and approx 45 days after stabilization I took some Apple Juice and warmed it up to around 120 degrees and added a little bit of sugar to make it disolve better and let it cool overnight, Then I added it to the wine and left it sit.

Adding sugar to water and then adding it to the wine will cause the wine to sweeten but will also dialute the flavor of the wine.

1. I would sugguest that you add sugar to the wine directly

2. Add sugar to a wine thats the same as your making or close to it and then add that to the wine

Just my 2 cents smile.gif

John wave.gif
WARNING: Reading the posts in this forum can and will lead to a Wine Making Addiction and can cause you to buy more accessories

Who said money cant buy happiness did not know which Wine Supply Stores to shop at.

#4 cpfan

cpfan

Kits are My Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4917 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:00 PM

"Solid Answers" from wine makers???

There's no such thing.

Regardless here's my story, and I sometimes stick to it....

I make kits. For stabilizing a kit, you add potassium metabisiulfite (aka K-meta) and potassium sorbate (aka sorbate). The instructions that I am used to recommend adding sweetener after the K-meta and sorbate have been stirred in to the wine. Then the clearing agent(s) are added.

Personally I have used commercial wine conditioner, usually in smaller quantities, because I'm looking for off-dry not slighty sweet.

Sometimes I have added it between the stabilizers and clearing agents. Other times I have added it right before bottling. It has always worked just fine.

Steve
the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
"why do today what you can put off till next week"

#5 Curt

Curt

Bumbling Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3585 posts
  • Interests:wine and winemaking
    karate
    woodworking
    photography
    hunting

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:37 AM

I'll add another "solid" answer to the pack. I sorbate then wait 2 weeks and then sweeten. I sweeten with a simple syrup made using 2 parts sugar to 1 part water and then boil the mixture. I don't bother waiting for it to cool as there is only a small volume in comparison to the 5 or 6 gallons of wine. Seems to work for me.

what's brewing; 6gal local plum  6gal strawberry/rhubarb  6gal pinot noir  6gal blueberry/grape  6gal old vine zin  9gal local apple

#6 Green Zeus

Green Zeus

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:17 AM

And then we do it differently again!!!!!!! We add sorbate,Campden tabs to an empty carboy then rack the clear wine into it. We siphon some off into a large measuring cup and add sugar to it. We microwave it until dissloved, add to carboy, stir, and bottle. We don't like to dissolve the sugar in water because we don't like water additions to the wine. We don't wait for it to cool, either.

#7 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16114 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:20 AM

...when I add sugar (after stabilizing as others said) I put some of the wine to be sweetened in a blender, add the sugar, blend about a minute, then add back to the wine. This may risk a little "bottle shock" in the carboy, but giving it a few weeks before bottling, I've never had a problem.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#8 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4098 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:39 AM

Similar to Green Zeus here, but I add the K-meta, sorbate and sugar all to a 1/2 gallon pitcher of wine and stir completely until dissolved (no heating). I then stir the mixture into the batch of wine, then filter and bottle. I use table sugar and wait at least 6 weeks before opening.
Howie Hart

#9 FrankD

FrankD

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

Great suggestions, everyone. It's nice to see that there isn't a written rule for adding sugar. Let's hear more!

#10 Bunghole

Bunghole

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • Interests:Making Home Made Wine, Fishing, Computers, Horror Movies, Making Home Made Wine :)

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (FrankD @ Sep 8 2008, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great suggestions, everyone. It's nice to see that there isn't a written rule for adding sugar. Let's hear more!

Since I am a really sweet old man I sometimes just stir my finger around in the wine for about 30 minutes to sweeten it up lmao.gif

I do have to be very carefull when it rains thou lmao.gif

John wave.gif
WARNING: Reading the posts in this forum can and will lead to a Wine Making Addiction and can cause you to buy more accessories

Who said money cant buy happiness did not know which Wine Supply Stores to shop at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users