• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:19 AM

As requested I'm posting my Lemon Wine recipe

The basics of this came from Terry Garey's "The Joy of Home Winemaking"
Recipe is for 3 gallons

24 medium-large sized lemons
6 lbs granulated sugar (or an SG reading of 1.09 to start)
Enough water to bring it to about 3 gallons
1/2 tsp grape tannin
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
3 tsp yeast nutrient
Campden tablets (optional)
Champagne wine yeast

Boil about a gallon of water and dissolve sugar in it. Wash all lemons then grate the zest of 8 of the lemons (actually I peel them but I make sure I don’t get the white pith from lemons). Cut lemons in halves and squeeze them extracting the juice. (I do this with my hands putting my fingers into the center of the lemon and pull towards the sides, this way I can grab the pulp and separate the seeds too) I suggest putting the zest in nylon straining bag, I didn’t do this but it would have been easier. Put juice, pulp and zest in primary and add the boiled sugar water, add the rest of water, which will cool the whole thing, then you can add the other ingredients tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme. You can also add crushed Campden tablets at this time if you feel the need, but if you do wait about 12 hours before adding the pectic enzyme. When you add your yeast depends on weather you use Campden or not. This wine took a while to get a good ferment started, but once it did, SG dropped quickly. Wait about 4 days or until your SG drops around 1.04, at this point you can move to secondary and fit airlock, OR in my case I added 16oz (2cups) sugar diluted raising my SG to 1.055 again (hence the higher alcohol %) then wait for it to drop to 1.04 (about another 3 days) and move to secondary. WARNING: Don’t move to secondary and then add more sugar, you’ll have a MESS! Rack as normal about every 30 days.

In about 4 months mine has dropped completely to .990 and is what you see in the picture. I will stabilize and sweeten mine some since the high alcohol and tart lemons seem to have a bit of a bite.

Enjoy!
smileycheers.gif
Cheryl
Dream like you will live forever. Live like there is no tomorrow.

#2 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:24 PM

Thank you very much Cheryl!
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

#3 WineThief

WineThief

Hooked on WinePress.US

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3021 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making.. :)

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:10 PM

Thanks Muchly Cheryl. I will be putting this one on my list of soon to make.. Sure looks tasty
In the immortal words of Ben Franklin,
"WINE IS A CONSTANT REMINDER THAT GOD LOVES US AND LOVES TO SEE US HAPPY"
Terry Neve

#4 Soapygirl

Soapygirl

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:40 PM

Wow Cheryl, That looks absoulutely delicious! I have some gallon sized carboys on the way to me. Plus, lemons are really cheap this week in my area (very unusual) To make a one gallon batch, would I just cut everything into a third? or do some of the ingredients have minimum requirements.

Thanks! smile.gif
Lisa
Don't drink and park - accidents cause people!

#5 cmoore

cmoore

WinePress.US Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:21 PM

Lisa, I live in Florida and lemons have gone high (.50 each!) effects of what the hurricanes did! Normally our prices are around 5 LG for a buck! Funny that your prices in Maryland would be good right now....but good for making some of this, start it now and save it for the Summer!

I would try this for a 1-gallon batch

8 medium-large sized lemons
2 lbs granulated sugar (or an SG reading of 1.09 to start)
Enough water to bring it to about 1 gallon
1/4 tsp grape tannin
1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Campden tablet (optional)
Champagne wine yeast

Enjoy!
smileycheers.gif
Cheryl

Attached pic is the bottled version

#6 drew22to375

drew22to375

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:59 PM

I really dig those metalic blue capsules.

#7 Soapygirl

Soapygirl

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:40 PM

Thanks Cheryl,

I'm gonna get my lemons tomorrow. They are 5 nice sized for a buck, which really shocked me because they have been up to to .80/piece. Maybe I'll just go ahead and get enough for the larger batch too. Oh boy, another excuse to buy more carboys tongue.gif

Your bottles look great!

Lisa
Don't drink and park - accidents cause people!

#8 slonaker

slonaker

Winemaker Geek

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2457 posts
  • Interests:Besides the obvious, photography, DV, cooking, entertaining, exchanging wine with my friends.

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (cmoore @ Nov 16 2004, 06:53 PM)
Lisa, I live in Florida and lemons have gone high (.50 each!) effects of what the hurricanes did! Normally our prices are around 5 LG for a buck!

Geez! ohmy.gif Y'all need to come to S. Texas. We get lemons from the valley at 8 (sometimes 10) for a dollar! Juicy suckers, too. That's where I got my pineapple oranges at 10 lbs for $4. Citrus (actually, produce in general) is dirt cheap down here.

Well, I take that back, Martina would probably be in the poor house buying asparagus for wine here. biggrin.gif Last I checked, it was $3.49/lb. Oh well, some things are just "cost prohibitive" when it comes to making wine..... roflmao.gif

GREAT recipe, Cheryl! I'm gonna have to keep that one on tap. I think I saw that in Terry's book, but there are so many others in there I've been trying - haven't gotten to that one, yet.
"If at first you don't succeed....use it in a marinade."
Ed Slonaker
El Pilon Wines
Corpus Christi, Texas <- NEW LOCATION!
www.elpilon.com/wines

#9 MedPretzel

MedPretzel

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4413 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (slonaker @ Nov 16 2004, 11:31 PM)
Well, I take that back, Martina would probably be in the poor house buying asparagus for wine here. biggrin.gif Last I checked, it was $3.49/lb. Oh well, some things are just "cost prohibitive" when it comes to making wine..... roflmao.gif

Hmmm.....

Now you've got me thinkin'............... wink.gif

roflmao.gif

wave.gif

Martina
vinum planto nonnullus populus bardus

#10 apratt

apratt

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:51 AM

Cheryl,

I was in the grocery store the other day buying frozen strawberries when I noticed lemons on sale so I bought 8. I had printed your recipe a while back thinking I would like to try it sometime. I scaled it down to a gallon and followed the recipe quite precisely. The problem is I can't seem to get it going. It has been two days since I added the starter to the must and I have not seen a bubble yet. Any ideas or similar trouble with your batch?

Alan

#11 cmoore

cmoore

WinePress.US Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:31 AM

Hi Alan
Back awhile ago we all made “Hard Lemonade” from frozen lemonade and many people had the start problem (me included) http://www.winepress...topic=1156&st=0

I think the trick here it too keep it warm, give it plenty of air (keep it covered but whisk it up if you have to), and be patient. My lemon wine made from this recipe took about 4 days to get a good start. You will not get a cap of yeasts like in most ferments so listen carefully for the snap, crackles and pops!

Cheryl

#12 apratt

apratt

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Cheryl,

I'll keep in warm and shaken. I just stirred in a little energizer too.

#13 apratt

apratt

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:34 PM

Hey, after a week it is finally fermenting. I went back and read the thread about everyone's trouble getting their hard lemonade started. I warmed it and stirred it everyday and now it is a bubblin'.

#14 LeChaim

LeChaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:45 PM

Alan, I stumbled on the hard lemonade discussion and the bug bit me...I started a batch just to see what was driving everyone so mad with longing. I can now see that I'll be making several LARGE batches of the stuff towards summer. It took 3 days, but it eventually started to ferment. I whipped it up a lot with the egg whisk several times a day but it started fizzing 12 hours after I sat the primary on top of an electric heating pad. Next time I'll put it on heat right off.

Miriam
My blog, Israeli Kitchen: http://www.mimi54.wordpress.com

#15 cmoore

cmoore

WinePress.US Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

Alan,
Happy to hear you got started on the ferment. Be sure to keep me posted how it’s going. I sent mine in Christmas packages with a note to save it for a warm Summer evening figuring in another 6 months it would mellow some. I should have known better ……….. My son said “Mom you send us wine and tell us to wait! We DRUNK it and it was good, got anymore?” I’m thinking I should have made more than the 3-gallon batch!

Miriam
If your making the frozen hard lemonade then by all means wait it’s made for quicker drinking, but the recipe I posted for the lemon wine really is much better if you age it for a bit.

Cheers All,
Cheryl
smileycheers.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users