Photo

How Many Pounds Of Apples For 5 Gallons Of Wine?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FrankD

FrankD

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

I plan on using a juicer to get make pure apple juice, but I'm not sure how many apples it will take. I plan on coring the fruit. How many pounds would you say make a 5 gallon batch of apple wine? Do you add water, or will I need 5 gallons of pure apple juice? thanks so much!!!

#2 Northern Winos

Northern Winos

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (FrankD @ Sep 3 2008, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I plan on using a juicer to get make pure apple juice, but I'm not sure how many apples it will take. I plan on coring the fruit. How many pounds would you say make a 5 gallon batch of apple wine? Do you add water, or will I need 5 gallons of pure apple juice? thanks so much!!!

I use pure apple juice for apple wine....So you will need 5 gallons, or close to it. The sugar will replace some volume, but I like to have a little extra must for topping off.

So, get busy coring..... smile.gif

#3 FrankD

FrankD

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (Northern Winos @ Sep 3 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use pure apple juice for apple wine....So you will need 5 gallons, or close to it. The sugar will replace some volume, but I like to have a little extra must for topping off.

So, get busy coring..... smile.gif

Thanks! Would you happen to have a recipe I might reference? smileycheers.gif

#4 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9619 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

Other than one batch of apple made using chopped up fruit (came out very thin bodied), I've always used undiluted juice. It's the only way to make apple wine as far as I'm concerned.

Using a juicer, I can't really give you a good estimate on how many pounds it will take to yield 5 gallons of juice. But I will suggest you use a variety of apples, some tart and some sweet. Crab apples are also a good addition to the mix.

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#5 su-geek

su-geek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

Depending on the apples, you should yield 2-3 gallons per bushel. I tried using a juicer before but I gave up, and used a grinder and a press. If you are using a steam-juicer, then it should work out well with a few batches. I only have used the steam juicer for pears, so I would imagine 1 to 1.5 gallons per batch of apples (depends on the size of the steam juicer).

On a recipe, I never have added sugar but end up with some pretty stout stuff. I would guess you could add a few pounds of fructose or honey to make up for the water added by the steam juicer.

#6 mainebob

mainebob

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Location:next to the last house on a dead end dirt road, deep in the heart of Maine
  • Interests:Teach woodworking at EMCC, Chaplain at 2 jails, fly fish, tie flies, make fly rods, grapes & winemaking.

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

I go to my local orchard and explain what I'm up to and get fresh squeezed cider before they add preservatives. No mess and super rich base for wine. SG 1.090 is about right for me. i sometimes add some sugar as syrup to get there.

BTW a nice addition is a quart or two of grape juice and a couple quarts of raspberries, just picking the fall varieties here in Maine.

Good luck, and drop back in and let us all know how your fare. smileytoast.gif

Bob
Chaplain Bob
Always making fruit wines from odd sources.Apple/grape/cherry,
Boysenberry/apple, pomegranate/blueberry, etc.
Bottle aging our first vintage from Valiant. "Prince Valiant the first '08"
Backyard vineyard with 75 vines. Mostly Swenson hybrids and MN
releases. Cold end of zone 4.

#7 Bunghole

Bunghole

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • Interests:Making Home Made Wine, Fishing, Computers, Horror Movies, Making Home Made Wine :)

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (FrankD @ Sep 3 2008, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Around here I look at the Dollar General Stores and wait till I see Apple Juice for sale.

I get the Apple Juice at 64 oz for $1.00 which equals $2.00 per gallon and its already pressed and processed

Unless you get the Apples for free you might want to look into buying the juice.

I cant remember where I saw the figures but believe it to be around 10 pounds per gallon.

The more pure the juice the more acids it will contain. I would believe you might want to add some water to dialute the acid in the juice

Just my 2 cents

John wave.gif
WARNING: Reading the posts in this forum can and will lead to a Wine Making Addiction and can cause you to buy more accessories

Who said money cant buy happiness did not know which Wine Supply Stores to shop at.

#8 Les

Les

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Gardening<br />

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:42 AM

I just finished a 5 gallon batch of apple wine, and used fresh apples, required about 18 pounds per gallon of juice. I started with 5.5 gallons of juice, as I always loose a small amount each racking. Here is the recipe I used:

APPLE JUICE WINE
1 gal fresh or bottled apple juice
1-1/4 lb granulated sugar
1 tsp acid blend
1-2/3 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/4 to 1/2 tsp tannin
1-1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt Champagne wine yeast
In a primary, stir in sugar until completely dissolved. Add acid blend, 1/4 teaspoon tannin, yeast nutrient, and crushed Campden tablet. Stir well, cover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Stir in pectic enzyme and recover primary. After additional 12 hours, add activated yeast and recover primary. Stir daily for 10 days, keeping covered. Taste wine to determine tannin adequacy. If not adequate, stir in 1/8 teaspoon additional tannin and set aside 4 hours. Taste again to determine if another 1/8 teaspoon is required. When satisfied, rack into gallon secondary and fit airlock. Any additional wine can be poured into small bottle for topping up later and airlocked using #2 or #3 bung. Rack, top up and refit sirlock every 60 days for 6 months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired and wait 2 weeks. Rack into bottles and set aside one year. [Author's own recipe]

Of course this is for 1 gallon, so multiply each item. The champagne yeast fermented until dry, very dry. I think I could run my truck on it. After racking 3 or 4 times it has turned out a beautiful pale yellow color. I'm sure it will take 6 months or more to reach its prime, but so far very nice.

Good luck, Les

#9 MinnesotaMaker

MinnesotaMaker

Nut (wine and otherwise)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Gardening, Preserving, Old Cameras, Karaoke, Motorcycling, Hunting

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

I make mine from fresh pressed juice. I chop first, then press. Three 5 gallon buckets of apples yields one 5 gallon bucket of apple juice. I'm sure this could vary depending on the apples you use.

#10 FrankD

FrankD

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

You all are great! I will consider everyone's comments before starting this next week. Please feel free to add more comments/suggestions! Thanks, everyone!

#11 CrazyOne

CrazyOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Raising youngies, working on cars, 4-wheelen getten dirty! Making mead and now making wine!

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but not new to making apple juice.
My tree in the backyard starts to drop off apples when the apples are not fully grown. They are a little bit bigger then a golf ball. With about 20 at each cooking, I get a half gallon of apple juice.
For me personally, I cut the apples in half, get the nasties out and skin them. I put the skins in a mushbag or some type of bag that the skin juices can escape out in to the boiling water. I fill my massive pot with water, the apples need to be covered with water. (Again this is my personal way of getting apple juice.)
After boiling till the apples themselves are very soft, crumbling to the fork touch. I mash the heck out of them! (A great way to get anger issues out too!) Let them boil for another 30 mins or so. And woot, apple juice!

A couple draw backs...inless you have some kind of juicer or something, you will always have very faint pieces of apples. It takes a lot of apples to make apple juice. And the nasties that live out there are not always killed by boiling. You will have to use some kind of sanitizer.

I hope I helped some.
Treat others like you would like to be treated!

~Finished 1 gallon of apple, plum and grape wine combined as one! (One of the best I have made so far)~
~Finished 4 gallons of plum wine (Plum Crazy)~
~Finished cyser mead (Don't make again! Yuck!)~
~Finished Bananna Apple wine as one! (Going Banannas!)~*
~Finished Pineapple (thinking of a name...)~
~Finished 3 gallons of Candy Cane Wine~
~Finished Apple Wine (thinking of a name..)~
~Finished about 3 gallons of Grape Wine (Going Purple)~

#12 nbaltz

nbaltz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Recently harvested 75 pounds of Anna's and Dorsett (small) apples grown locally in Phoenix, AZ, completely filling three 5-gallon buckets (1.6 bushels).

Used a Juiceman to juice all 75 pounds of apples (core, stem, seeds [the seeds don't juice....just pass through], and all), providing 5.5 gallons (50 pounds) of apple juice and 25 pounds of leftover fiber for the composter.

5.5 pounds of granulated sugar were added to the juice along with yeast, nutrient, pectic enzyme, tannin, and acid blend to yield a specific gravity of 1.09.  No water was added to the must with this batch.

Primary fermentation completed after 5 days at 80F to a specific gravity of 1.01.  5 gallons were racked from the fermentation.

You can't beat the taste of freshly juiced apples.  To me, it is well worth the extra 4 hours of juicing and cleanup.

#13 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15870 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Nbaltz,

Sounds good!  How do you like the Anna Apples?

Welcome to the forum!

Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#14 janetwillson213

janetwillson213

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

Nbaltz,

Sounds good!  How do you like the Anna Apples?

Welcome to the forum!

Oh my god, this apple is great. I can't explain my absolute adoration for these varieties. I buy a bunch of these apples. I just can’t get enough of this apple.

#15 WVMountaineerJack

WVMountaineerJack

WVMJack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Interests:Growing a Wineyard full of Elderberry, Blackberry and Raspberry and Bees for Mead and Cider Apples

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

Early eating apples dont necessarily make the best cider though in the lineage of this apple is the Grimes Golden, parent of the Golden Delicious which seems to be a parent of Anna. You may want to add some tannins and acid depending on the style of cider you are trying to make. WVMJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users