• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 carl38

carl38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

Could someone please tell me approximately how many pounds of muscadine grapes would it take to make 5 gallons of wine? Thanks for your help in advance.
Carl

#2 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2349 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada, northwest of Toronto, via Ridgeway, ON
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (carl38 @ Aug 17 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could someone please tell me approximately how many pounds of muscadine grapes would it take to make 5 gallons of wine? Thanks for your help in advance.
Carl

I've never used muscadines, but based on my experience with other varieties, 5 US gallons would take 55 to 60 pounds.

Ken wave.gif
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis (at least I like to think so)

#3 Bunghole

Bunghole

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • Interests:Making Home Made Wine, Fishing, Computers, Horror Movies, Making Home Made Wine :)

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (carl38 @ Aug 17 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Carl

I see people posting alot of messages about pounds per grapes to make gallons of wine and the answers are around 15 to 18 pounds per gallon. I guess the size of the grapes determine how much of the juice is obtained.

I never bought grapes or pressed a grape for its juice to make wine. I just buy the juice already done for me

Just my 2 cents

John wave.gif
WARNING: Reading the posts in this forum can and will lead to a Wine Making Addiction and can cause you to buy more accessories

Who said money cant buy happiness did not know which Wine Supply Stores to shop at.

#4 SouthernMan

SouthernMan

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:33 PM

Some recipes call for 6 - 8 lbs of muscadines per gallon, but I don't know if that makes a light or medium bodied wine. Just today, I picked 12 lbs of large muscadines and if I go by some recipes on the net, I only have enough to make 2 gallons.
My Website

If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance.

George Bernard Shaw

#5 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

For a medium bodied wine 30-35# of muscadines for a 5gal batch is a good place to start but jack it up to 65-70# (the last batch I made) and you've got something that's full bodied and fruity but you have to deal with the acid.

#6 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15656 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (muscadine @ Aug 17 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a medium bodied wine 30-35# of muscadines for a 5gal batch is a good place to start but jack it up to 65-70# (the last batch I made) and you've got something that's full bodied and fruity but you have to deal with the acid.

Please explain to me: If you're using 100% juice, how can the amount of fruit used adjust it from light to full bodied? I know with blackberries you get a darker body with more berries, but you're not using juice only, but berries in water and sugar. What am I missing?
It seems more fruit would just mean more wine, not more body.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#7 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9610 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Wade's Wines @ Aug 17 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please explain to me: If you're using 100% juice, how can the amount of fruit used adjust it from light to full bodied? I know with blackberries you get a darker body with more berries, but you're not using juice only, but berries in water and sugar. What am I missing?
It seems more fruit would just mean more wine, not more body.

Wade, my (possibly incorrect) assumption is that he is adding water to 30-35 lbs. to make 5 gallons.

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#8 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

I may be off base on the body...maybe just more fruity and a stronger flavor but that's how I see it. I didn't use 100% juice to begin with. I reserved some of the free run juice to add in as a sweetener and to top off with but all of the hulls and pulp were fermented. I started with one gal. of water to dissolve the sugar and progressed on from there.

#9 Jack Keller

Jack Keller

Still Learning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1947 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Please explain to me: If you're using 100% juice, how can the amount of fruit used adjust it from light to full bodied?

Wade, this will only confuse you if you don't understand what is being said. References to 30-35 pounds of grapes per a 5-gallon batch assumes you will get about 2 gallons of juice and add 3 gallons of water. Most native grapes, like muscadines, suffer from hyperacidity. You can deal with the acid in different ways, but dilution with water is the most common. If you want to use pure juice, you'll need in the neighborhood of 60-75 pounds of grapes to start with, and then you either accept a high acid wine that will take years to smooth out or you take other measures to buffer it, remove some or alter it (add chemicals, cold precipitate excess tartaric as potassium bitartrate, or inoculate for malolactic fermentation).

I know with blackberries you get a darker body with more berries....

For the record, you get darker wine, not darker body.

#10 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15656 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

Thanks, Steve and Jack. Makes perfect sense.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users