5 replies to this topic

#1 bonvec

bonvec

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

Anyone have experience with this product. I'm thinking of Dolcetto and Verdicchio in particular but welcome any comments. I've purchased juice buckets from M&M both Cal and Chilean and I think the Chilean juice was better. So I'm leaning toward purchasing the Mosto Bella over the Cal juice this fall.
matt bonvechio: In secondary - clement hill zinfandel, chambourcin, ,,mosti mondiale amarone juice. Gewurtraminer, Malbec , Cab-Merlot blend. zin port style, Cal. Sangiovese, Cal. Chardonnay sparkling wine

#2 Wino Nouveau

Wino Nouveau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making, growing grapes, gardening, Trapshooting, Stock Market Investing, cooking

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (bonvec @ Aug 16 2008, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone have experience with this product. I'm thinking of Dolcetto and Verdicchio in particular but welcome any comments. I've purchased juice buckets from M&M both Cal and Chilean and I think the Chilean juice was better. So I'm leaning toward purchasing the Mosto Bella over the Cal juice this fall.

Like I told you in your other post, I did some of these 2 years ago. I really like them. Much better than the CA juice pails.

This year I plan to get some Amarone, Chianti, Bordeaux Blend, Borolo, etc...

I never tried the Dolcetto or Verdicchio though.

Try some... you'll like um!!
Roger
=====================================
In Wine Cellar:____800+/- bottles
In Process:..... Marquette wines from my vineyard (now 50+ Marquette vines)
http://www.pelletiervineyards.blogspot.com/

#3 grilljockey

grilljockey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

So where might these pails rank out compared to other options? For example, how would they compare against frozen must from M&M...or versus your typical 12L kit?

The price is attractive if it is good juice!

#4 Wino Nouveau

Wino Nouveau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making, growing grapes, gardening, Trapshooting, Stock Market Investing, cooking

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (grilljockey @ Aug 16 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So where might these pails rank out compared to other options? For example, how would they compare against frozen must from M&M...or versus your typical 12L kit?

The price is attractive if it is good juice!

In regards to reds....

Below anything that has grape skins in it (frozen must, grape skin packs, fresh grapes).

Juice pails usually fall close to an 8L or 10L kit. Some juice pails (there are a lot of different brands out there) fall way short (thin) others fall a bit better.

The Italian ones from Mosto Bello seem pretty good to me. Darker than CA pails in my opinion.

But, remember that the red "kits" (unlike juice pails) are already TA and pH balanced (so you don't need any acid and pH testing equipment) and they do not need any mlf or the related mlf testing equipment. With juice pails you also need to supply your own oak, clarifiers, etc. that are typically included in a kit.

If a person is equiped (equipment and knowledge) to do fresh grapes or frozen must pails then juice pails are an economical alternative to the lower end kits. They are not price attractive if you need to go buy the equipment, mlf cultures, testing equipment, etc.

As for whites ... they seem to do a good job. Be careful with spontaneous mlf though. Either use lysozyme or other methods to prevent it.

One last thing. Fresh juice pails make wine with an aroma (which I always missed on low end kits) and they do not have any KT.

Juice pails are not for everyone. Kits certainly have a lot of advantages.

This is just my 2 cents ... others may have differnt opinions roflmao.gif
Roger

#5 bonvec

bonvec

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (Wino Nouveau @ Aug 18 2008, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In regards to reds....

Below anything that has grape skins in it (frozen must, grape skin packs, fresh grapes).

Juice pails usually fall close to an 8L or 10L kit. Some juice pails (there are a lot of different brands out there) fall way short (thin) others fall a bit better.

The Italian ones from Mosto Bello seem pretty good to me. Darker than CA pails in my opinion.

But, remember that the red "kits" (unlike juice pails) are already TA and pH balanced (so you don't need any acid and pH testing equipment) and they do not need any mlf or the related mlf testing equipment. With juice pails you also need to supply your own oak, clarifiers, etc. that are typically included in a kit.

If a person is equiped (equipment and knowledge) to do fresh grapes or frozen must pails then juice pails are an economical alternative to the lower end kits. They are not price attractive if you need to go buy the equipment, mlf cultures, testing equipment, etc.

As for whites ... they seem to do a good job. Be careful with spontaneous mlf though. Either use lysozyme or other methods to prevent it.

One last thing. Fresh juice pails make wine with an aroma (which I always missed on low end kits) and they do not have any KT.

Juice pails are not for everyone. Kits certainly have a lot of advantages.

This is just my 2 cents ... others may have differnt opinions roflmao.gif

Explain spontaneous mlf. If I refrigerate for 3 weeks will this prevent it.
matt bonvechio: In secondary - clement hill zinfandel, chambourcin, ,,mosti mondiale amarone juice. Gewurtraminer, Malbec , Cab-Merlot blend. zin port style, Cal. Sangiovese, Cal. Chardonnay sparkling wine

#6 Wino Nouveau

Wino Nouveau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (bonvec @ Aug 18 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Explain spontaneous mlf. If I refrigerate for 3 weeks will this prevent it.

Spontaneous mlf can happen when native bacteria in the must or wine activates and starts to convert malic acid into lactic acid.

No, 3 weeks in the frige will do nothing to prevent it.

Do a search on the forum and also on Google .... lots of information available.
Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users