19 replies to this topic

#1 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

I cook hard boiled eggs by steaming in one of those pasta cookers. I put about an inch of water in the bottom and bring it to a boil. I arrange the eggs in the basket so the wider part of the egg is facing down. When the water comes to a boil, I place the basket in the pot, cover, turn down the heat to maintain a boil and cook for 20 minutes. I then remove the lid, place the pot in the sink and run cold water to overflow the pot until the eggs are cool (several minutes). The eggs peel very easily that way.

For deviled eggs, I halve the peeled eggs. I mash up the yolks with mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip - Yuk!), yellow mustard, a bit of Coleman's dry mustard powder, a dollup of fresh horseradish and a bit of kosher salt. I usually fill the egg whites using the two-spoon method, but when I want to get fancy I use a cookie press to make a spiral effect. Then I dust the tops with some paprika. wink.gif
Howie Hart

#2 Merilyn

Merilyn

WinePress.US Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2135 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Howie @ Jul 7 2008, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For deviled eggs, I halve the peeled eggs. I mash up the yolks with mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip - Yuk!), yellow mustard, a bit of Coleman's dry mustard powder, a dollup of fresh horseradish and a bit of kosher salt. I usually fill the egg whites using the two-spoon method, but when I want to get fancy I use a cookie press to make a spiral effect. Then I dust the tops with some paprika. wink.gif

What a great idea to add a little horseradish. I am going to give it a try !
Merilyn from Winnipeg. . .
Dance like no one is watching and live like there is no tomorrow !!

#3 JLC

JLC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

the horseradish is the way to go, adds a little snap to them.

Is there specific reason for the egg orientation?

#4 SandSquid

SandSquid

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts
  • Interests:Life, Liberty....... and the persuit of all who threaten them!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

During my brief enrollment at "a prestigious Culinary School" (had to drop-out because I could no afford the tuition) I was instructed to place the eggs in a pan, cover with warm water, place over a flame and bring to a fast boil. Place a tight fitting lid on the pan and then remove from the flame and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain the water, replace with cold water let sit for 1/2 hour, then drain and peel. the shells just about fall off, and more importantly you don't get that "green ring" between the yolks and whites.
--
V/R
The SandSquid

#5 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (JLC @ Jul 7 2008, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the horseradish is the way to go, adds a little snap to them.

Is there specific reason for the egg orientation?
The orientation is to center the yolks within the egg, so that when you slice them open, the hole where the yolk was removed is centered. If the yolk is off center and near the edge, the whites can tear apart, making a messy deviled egg.
Howie Hart

#6 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9644 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Merilyn @ Jul 7 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a great idea to add a little horseradish. I am going to give it a try !

It's good in egg salad as well. smile.gif

Good tip, Howie.

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#7 Little Blind Guy

Little Blind Guy

Often Mistaken for Bacchus

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2492 posts
  • Interests:I'm actually rather boring...

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

What isn't horseradish good in?

About the eggs. Fresh eggs are also harder to peel. Buy eggs about a week before you plan on making hard boiled eggs.
Martin Blind

Find me on Facebook

#8 SandSquid

SandSquid

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts
  • Interests:Life, Liberty....... and the persuit of all who threaten them!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:33 PM

cream together softened cream cheese, a "blop" of sour cream, and a dribble of buttermilk, a dash of mustard powder, some Old Bay seasoning, some very-finely minced habanero-picked garlic cloves, and then the yolks.

Put it in a pastry bag w/ a #2 star tip and pipe it back into the whites.

Light dusting of paprika and a sprig of mint (not parsley)

Beware, these will produce some truly noxious flatus.(I've had the dog get up and leave the room ;-) But they are awesome, and usually have about 45 seconds of "table-time". Even my kids go after them.
--
V/R
The SandSquid

#9 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:WineMaking
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

Let eggs warm to room temp, cover with water bring to boil, let boil uncovered for 2 mins, cover and remove from heat, let stand for 13 mins, drain water an replace with cold water and Ice. Once cool drain and peel. The perfect HB egg.

#10 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4041 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

In production we boil the eggs in water with a bit of white vinegar as this makes the shell more pliable and stick together when shelling. It is also true to use older eggs (only really applicable for store bought white eggs) however I have never had a problem with thick shelled Amish brown eggs. Make sure you always cool your egg off in cold water after or it will continue to cook and will turn the green/gray color (iron-sulfur reaction of over cooking).

I also use Dijon mustard in mine, a more mellow undertone and cayenne for a nice kickback.
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#11 edward sacco

edward sacco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (SandSquid @ Jul 7 2008, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cream together softened cream cheese, a "blop" of sour cream, and a dribble of buttermilk, a dash of mustard powder, some Old Bay seasoning, some very-finely minced habanero-picked garlic cloves, and then the yolks.

Put it in a pastry bag w/ a #2 star tip and pipe it back into the whites.

Light dusting of paprika and a sprig of mint (not parsley)

Beware, these will produce some truly noxious flatus.(I've had the dog get up and leave the room ;-) But they are awesome, and usually have about 45 seconds of "table-time". Even my kids go after them.

Too bad you had to drop out of school, its sounds like you really paid attention while you were there. It's a rough business though. More fun to cook at home for people you love. I was lucky enough o have my shot and lucky enough to have an opportunity to go back an do what I did before. You don't know what you've got till its gone.
Ed

#12 Hammer102

Hammer102

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Home wine making

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:31 AM

How about pickling the eggs?

#13 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

I find that perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs (the yoke is still moist and creamy, not runny but not dry either) are done as such:
You cover the eggs with cold water,bring to a hard boil,turn off the heat completly,put a lid\cover and leave for 7-10 minutes (depending on how you like your yok,dont worry your way past the soft eggs),drain the water cool the eggs with cold water.
This also leaves you with eggs which are very easy to pill, you just have to go under that transparent skin which is between the white and the shell.

If I were into tatoos... I would tatoo some grapes on my forarm. :P

#14 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:33 AM

During my brief enrollment at "a prestigious Culinary School" (had to drop-out because I could no afford the tuition) I was instructed to place the eggs in a pan, cover with warm water, place over a flame and bring to a fast boil. Place a tight fitting lid on the pan and then remove from the flame and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain the water, replace with cold water let sit for 1/2 hour, then drain and peel. the shells just about fall off, and more importantly you don't get that "green ring" between the yolks and whites.

Missed your post,
Thats exaclly the clasic french method.
Its amazing how they have a perfect technique for cooking just about anything.

If I were into tatoos... I would tatoo some grapes on my forarm. :P

#15 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4041 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

How about pickling the eggs?

My friend - we pickle eggs every Easter (tradition) with beets and onions .... OMFG are they amazing .... and after eating them no one will every make fun of you for eating pink eggs roflmao.gif
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users