• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2218 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making
    Wine Drinking
    Music Listening
    Reading

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:47 AM

My LHBS has several Sicilian Nero d’Avola/Shiraz Limited Edition kits priced at $120. This seems like a good price for a high end kit. Has anyone tried this kit? My next question is should I buy 1 or 2 kits. If I buy anymore than 2, I'd have to buy another carboy. Any opinions?
Juan

In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice.
I raise my glass to ideas lost, on foggy nights, when no one listened - Jack Keller

#2 BeerBudget

BeerBudget

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Growing stuff and making (and drinking) wine - better at the drinking at this point.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

Mine is bulk aging right now. From the samples during racking, I think it's going to be a VERY good kit. Certainly a good value at $120.
Tink

Champagne tastes but a beer budget.

#3 Gizzy

Gizzy

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

Mine is in the primary and does it smell good. There is this beautiful fragrant of blueberries and it is deep dark garnet. I have high hopes for this one.

If you can get two go for it. I thinking about ordering another one. I also paid $120 with delivery.

Salute smileytoast.gif
Gizzy

#4 cutter

cutter

Addicted to WinePress & Skeeter Pee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2218 posts
    Wine Drinking
    Music Listening
    Reading

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

How long are you guys planning on bulk aging? Did you do or are you planning any tweaks?
Juan

I raise my glass to ideas lost, on foggy nights, when no one listened - Jack Keller

#5 Gizzy

Gizzy

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (cutter @ May 16 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long are you guys planning on bulk aging? Did you do or are you planning any tweaks?

I did not use the supplied oak. Once stabilized and cleared the wine will spend time in a Hungarian oak barrel and then bottling. Unless I see a need to do more bulk aging. No other tweaks.

Slalute smileytoast.gif
Gizzy

#6 edward sacco

edward sacco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

I'll be bulk aging mine for 6 months, then bottle age 6 months. Other than that by the book.
Ed

#7 BeerBudget

BeerBudget

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Growing stuff and making (and drinking) wine - better at the drinking at this point.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (cutter @ May 16 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suspect that I'm like most who pretty much follow the directions for the first time for a kit, and, having read the article from Wine Business about the use of oak during fermentation (see attachment), I've decided to stay with the oak chips/dust that come with the kits for use during fermentation. One can always taste after fermentation and decide to oak more if the kit didn't have enough for your own taste.

This kit is interesting also in that it uses Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212 yeast. I think this is the first of about 6-8 WE kits that I've done that didn't use EC-1118.

I'll go 6 months in bulk, if for no other reason than I'll probably need the carboy. I think this one could be drinkable fairly early, at least after the bottle shock has gone.

Attached File  Oak_Article.pdf   24.91K   23 downloads
Tink

#8 cutter

cutter

Addicted to WinePress & Skeeter Pee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2218 posts
    Wine Drinking
    Music Listening
    Reading

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to have to stick with one kit. I forgot that I ordered a Spanish Rioja and a Pino Gris kits that will be at my LHBS next week and I'm on a beer budget for my wine making hobby. lmao.gif
Juan

#9 BeerBudget

BeerBudget

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (cutter @ May 16 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to have to stick with one kit. I forgot that I ordered a Spanish Rioja and a Pino Gris kits that will be at my LHBS next week and I'm on a beer budget for my wine making hobby. lmao.gif

Hopefully you're getting the WE Wash. St. Yakima Valley Pinot Gris. Damn good stuff!
Tink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users