• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ryankelley

ryankelley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Wine making, Camping, Basketball, Tennis, Art, Sushi, Try To Eat Paleo

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

I recently did some research and found that local vineyards grow several grapes I enjoy. Has anyone bought grape juice directly from a vineyard? Or even the grapes themselves? Back in my younger days I would have just gone in there at night time and picked all I wanted... lmao.gif

Peach wine - 5 gallons from out of state peaches

6 gallons Pinot Noir - month 12 bulk aging

#2 Jimraelee

Jimraelee

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

For the first couple of years making wine, I found a vineyard, about 2miles away from the house would sell me wine... then the crop was fading in its production, and he had less to sell to others. Next came the grafting and replating of my beloved Muller into some other variety. And so went my supply of juice... I keep checking back. Its nice to pick up juice for cheap and no work to do....
FERMENTING
6gal Cab port

AGING
8gal Chardonnay port
20gal Riesling
13gal "way too late to be picked, mix
8gal cranberry
12gal Gewurztaminer

#3 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:17 AM

There is a small vineyard about 4 miles from me. I've been buying Cayuga, Seyval, Vidal and Steuben from him for over 20 years. Cheap, too! Only $10/bushel, which comes out to about 70 cents per bottle. He used to grow DeChaunac and Foch, but had to tear them out due to crown gall. I buy juice and must from Watson's in Niagara-On-The-Lake every year also, which is about 15 miles away on the other side of the border. They grow a lot of their own grapes, but I'm not sure if they grow them all.
Howie Hart

#4 bmckee56

bmckee56

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Interests:Making Homemade Wine, Beer, Vinegar & Laundry Detergent. I have acquired all of these skills by being a member here.

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:05 AM

I have made many kits in the time I have been at this wine making thing. I made my first "From Juice Wine" last September after purchasing 6 gallons of Chardonnay from Presque Isle Winery in North East, PA.

We recently bottled this wine and opened our first bottle a few nights back and we were very pleased with the results. My better Half (Marcia) says it is one of the better Chardonnays she has had. Now she may be slanting her view a bit, but I do believe her and agree it was quite nice.

We are planning to purchase additional juice this fall from Presque Isle and it shall include a few more varieties. Also, we will bring our own carboys this time and save a few $$$ on the initial purchase.

Salute! smileycheers.gif

#5 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE (bmckee56 @ Apr 14 2008, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...We are planning to purchase additional juice this fall from Presque Isle and it shall include a few more varieties. Also, we will bring our own carboys this time and save a few $$$ on the initial purchase.

Salute! smileycheers.gif
I bought their Vignoles in 2006, but couldn't make there this past year. Turned out great. The Vignoles is my favorite white hybrid. Also, pails with lids are much better for transporting juice than carboys. I have a large collection of 23L pails that I re-use every year.
Howie Hart

#6 ryankelley

ryankelley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Wine making, Camping, Basketball, Tennis, Art, Sushi, Try To Eat Paleo

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Howie @ Apr 14 2008, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought their Vignoles in 2006, but couldn't make there this past year. Turned out great. The Vignoles is my favorite white hybrid. Also, pails with lids are much better for transporting juice than carboys. I have a large collection of 23L pails that I re-use every year.

So it's common for them to sell the juice to guys like us? That's great news. I live about an hour from some well known wineries in Windsor, Canada. I'll try to get into contact with them to see if I can fill up a carboy or two this fall as well.

#7 PinHead

PinHead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

Not an expert on vineyard juice, or kit juices, but aren't most of those usually from scrap grapes and ground fodder that fell off the vines or was left in the bottom of the bins after emptying?

Seems to me like they'd make more money selling the good grapes off then taking the time to juice those grapes?

Also, what's the possibility of high mold content or spoilage in that stuff, or pH & sugar content consistency? Any? Do they stabilize it with sulpher after juicing to kill it off of it's there? If they do make the juice from leftovers?

Just looking for answers.

#8 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (ryankelley @ Apr 14 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So it's common for them to sell the juice to guys like us? That's great news. I live about an hour from some well known wineries in Windsor, Canada. I'll try to get into contact with them to see if I can fill up a carboy or two this fall as well.
Presque Isle has a few businesses on the same premises, a winery, a presshouse (that sells pressed juice), a home wine supply store and I think they have a restaurant. This is unusual, as I don't think most wineries sell their juice and I don't know if they can even do that in Ontario. However, you may want to check out presshouses in the Windsor area. There are at least 3 that I know of in the Niagara Peninsula, one of which I buy juice and must from, Watson's. Also, no Vignoles is grown in Ontario that I know of.
Howie Hart

#9 terrier winery

terrier winery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Howie @ Apr 14 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Presque Isle has a few businesses on the same premises, a winery, a presshouse (that sells pressed juice), a home wine supply store and I think they have a restaurant. This is unusual, as I don't think most wineries sell their juice and I don't know if they can even do that in Ontario. However, you may want to check out presshouses in the Windsor area. There are at least 3 that I know of in the Niagara Peninsula, one of which I buy juice and must from, Watson's. Also, no Vignoles is grown in Ontario that I know of.

Well, I feel almost guilty for passing on this info.... but.... I live here in the central valley of California. Here you can find fresh juice, grapes (both in season of course) flash frozen juices, and many people that grow grapes in their front, back, and side yards. I have friends and family members that have literally turned their personal properties into small vineyards. You can buy grapes and take them to anyone wave.gif of a number of places and pay to have them pressed. So....I'm not boasting (honest), but to live in Caleefornya (as our governor would pronounce it) certainly has it's advantages (oh but the traffic!). So I recently did a batch of frozen Old Vine Zinfandel juice, and have had it in the carboy for only a few months. While the taste so far doesn't seem to have it heading towards one of those $100 Napa Valley bottles....it does have a much less processed taste than all (7) of the wine kits I've done so far. It has a much more honest flavor. I did one of those "all juice" kits and wasn't impressed at all with the flavor. Tasted like just another kit to me....but from all the info I've read, there's a lot of companies selling all kinds of juice and juice kits, and hopefully they were better than the one I chose. Sooo... stop by next October (bring a tank) and I can help you get a lot of fresh juice. Whatever course we all choose, there's still nothing like a nice glass of whatever kind of wine trips yer trigger! wave.gif

#10 ryankelley

ryankelley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Howie @ Apr 14 2008, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are Vignoles? Take a look at this link: http://www.peleeisla....cgi/wines.html

This Island is visible from where I live on an unusually clear day. They have the Shiraz, Pinot Grigio, and Sauvignon Blanc I prefer to drink. I've been drinking Australian Shiraz and Napa / Sonoma Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc for years, so I'm not sure how the taste will differ. But I'd like to expand my horizons and give this a try. I plan to do a vineyard tour this summer in Windsor so I'll taste the difference for myself then.

#11 terrier winery

terrier winery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (PinHead @ Apr 14 2008, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not an expert on vineyard juice, or kit juices, but aren't most of those usually from scrap grapes and ground fodder that fell off the vines or was left in the bottom of the bins after emptying?

Seems to me like they'd make more money selling the good grapes off then taking the time to juice those grapes?

Also, what's the possibility of high mold content or spoilage in that stuff, or pH & sugar content consistency? Any? Do they stabilize it with sulpher after juicing to kill it off of it's there? If they do make the juice from leftovers?

Just looking for answers.

Not so on the vineyard juices (fresh or fozen) available here in California (and not stabilized with large amounts of sulfur).They're PH and Brix balanced. Just haven't been able to find any from the really high end wineries in the Napa region (and believe me, I tried). There are juices available from the Amador County (killer Zins, Barberas, Sangiovese, Mourvedre) and the Lodi region (lots of varietals but not always the best Cabs-- like Napa-- but not bad (a little too warm climate for Cabs)). There are a few companies around here that specialize in juices and make them from good quality fruit. Hmmmmm. maybe I better double chek that and do some research... lemme go open a bottle and I'll verify later. Salud! wave.gif

#12 Jeff Sparagana

Jeff Sparagana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, exercising, wine and now making wine. Family time, reading, fishing, traveling

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (terrier winery @ Apr 14 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not so on the vineyard juices (fresh or fozen) available here in California (and not stabilized with large amounts of sulfur).They're PH and Brix balanced. Just haven't been able to find any from the really high end wineries in the Napa region (and believe me, I tried). There are juices available from the Amador County (killer Zins, Barberas, Sangiovese, Mourvedre) and the Lodi region (lots of varietals but not always the best Cabs-- like Napa-- but not bad (a little too warm climate for Cabs)). There are a few companies around here that specialize in juices and make them from good quality fruit. Hmmmmm. maybe I better double chek that and do some research... lemme go open a bottle and I'll verify later. Salud! wave.gif

I am new to this process. Will be making wine for the first time this fall. We have purchsed two 55 gallon amercian oak barrels about two years old. The barrels currently have this years red wine in them. We will get them after the bottling takes place. Looking for advice. Live near Philadelphia, PA actually Reading. Have access to frozen juice/must from california can I make a quality red without pressing grapes the first time around. Will probably venture that way but is it smart to start this way or should we go the route of crushing, pressing and fermenting, etc. Have done some research and in this area of the country I have access to quality and well as sub par grapes and frozen juice and must. Talked to a friend who swears by white wine from frozen juice/must but said if you want to make a quality red crush and press grapes or it will be poor quality and light bodied. Would appreciate some advice. Jeff S

#13 Old Dad

Old Dad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Making wines from kits, fresh juices, and frozen musts.

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:06 AM

A number of Ohio wineries will sell freshly pressed juice to home winemakers in 5 gallon increments. A good resource is the Ohio Wine Producers Association that has postings in the fall by wineries that will sell juice including the approximate date of availability and the cost:

http://www.ohiowines.org/

I noticed from your posting that you are in Toledo - Firelands Winery in Sandusky is relatively close to you and they do sell pressed juice at harvest time. They grow most of their grapes on Isle St. George, a fairly small Lake Erie island just off shore and close to Sandusky. Although they do not mention it on their website, the last time I visited the winery a few years ago, they do sell home wine making equipment and if you stop by and speak with them, they'll notify you by mail when the juices are expected to be available this year; might be worth a quick trip one weekend.

http://www.firelands....com/index.html
Old enough to know better; young enough to do it anyhow.

#14 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (ryankelley @ Apr 14 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are Vignoles?...

From the Cornell website: Wine and Grape Varieties
Vignoles (Ravat 51) produces an excellent dessert wine, especially when picked late. The fruit can develop very high sugar content while acidity remains high. Vines are very winter hardy with moderate vigor and productivity. Bud break is late, reducing the risk of spring freeze injury. Clusters are small, very compact and very susceptible to Botrytis bunch rot. Acreage doubled between 1975 and 1990.

Vignoles is a very fragrant grape and is a superb wine on it's own. Botryticized versions are Sauternes-like. When used in blends, it enhances the other grapes - Seyval becomes like Chardonnay, Cayuga becomes like Riesling. I've used it in a bubbly blend with 40% Seyval, 40% Vidal and 20% Vignoles.
Howie Hart

#15 terrier winery

terrier winery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Jeff Sparagana @ Apr 18 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am new to this process. Will be making wine for the first time this fall. We have purchsed two 55 gallon amercian oak barrels about two years old. The barrels currently have this years red wine in them. We will get them after the bottling takes place. Looking for advice. Live near Philadelphia, PA actually Reading. Have access to frozen juice/must from california can I make a quality red without pressing grapes the first time around. Will probably venture that way but is it smart to start this way or should we go the route of crushing, pressing and fermenting, etc. Have done some research and in this area of the country I have access to quality and well as sub par grapes and frozen juice and must. Talked to a friend who swears by white wine from frozen juice/must but said if you want to make a quality red crush and press grapes or it will be poor quality and light bodied. Would appreciate some advice. Jeff S

My best opinion (remember from an amateur) that the juice will definitely be a little on the thin side, but doesn't seem to have that off taste that all the wine kits (7) that I've done so far. That wine kit "twang" does seem to slowly go away, but I don't have years of experience at aging these kits. I've done 2 kits with grape skins and there definitley seems to be more flavor. My personal opinion from what i know from winemaking in this area is that you will most likely get a much better result by fermenting your reds with the skins. It's a lot more work and all, but seems to be worth it. I've not yet gotten to the point of buying grapes and having them processed for me, but I have a few possibilities coming up this harvest that I might explore. hopefully other more experienced winemakers on this website will help answer your questions. I'm not familiar with grape varietals and characteristics in your area. Hopefully others are. Best of luck in your endeavors!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users