• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hawiianvinter

Hawiianvinter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:43 PM

I can't seem to find proper info on vines for planting and growing in Hawaii. I want to start a smallish vineyard, but am unsure of what kind to start. So, if anyone has suggestions for this area of the world, let me know.

Brian

#2 mtsec

mtsec

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:37 PM

Brian, First off you should contact your local county or state extention office. I'm sure they have tested several and can tell you which will grow in your beautiful state. I have tasted pineapple wine that I liked.

Good luck, Mike Hammer

#3 BugSmuggler

BugSmuggler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 10:56 PM

You may want to look at some of the Austrialian wine grapes or even some of the Spanish grapes. Maybe a Shiraz or a Muscat. Maybe even some of the Itaian grapes.

Let us know what you come up with.

BugSmuggler

#4 mjzwick

mjzwick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 01:02 PM

You should also consider talking to the Tedeschi (I think that is how it's spelled) Winery on Maui. It is a commercial operation with grapes on the lower slopes of Haleakula. They can probably provide some good experience about grapes generally, and how to deal with them in Hawaii's climate specifically (for example, no dormant season?).

Hope this helps....

MZ

#5 Chano Aguayo

Chano Aguayo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

Contact Tedeschi Vineyards for solid information. I do not know where or in what island is located but Tedeschi has been in Hawaii for many years. Thanks.

Chano
Vineyard Prunology

#6 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

Isabella has grown there. http://www.saddlevin...t/vineyards.htm

-Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#7 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15297 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

Almost opened a bottle of Isabella tonight! I think it makes a pretty good wine, fruit forward, but you have to watch its' acidity here.
I lost my 2011 Isabella to a freak storm about 10 days ago, 8" of rain, 40 to 50 mph wind for about a day. When it was gone so were about 400# of Isabella. Next year.... I think losing this year's crop was why I didn't open a bottle of Isabella tonight, made it seem more valuable to me.
It was a great year for our Norton and even our Cabernet Sauvignon, so nothing to complain about here! smileytoast.gif smileytoast.gif
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#8 rpage53

rpage53

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

Unless you are in a very special location, you won't have much luck with grapes in Hawaii. If you are high enough to induce dormancy, you will have trouble ripening fruit. However, some have been successful without dormancy:
"Look down the slopes as you approach Ulupalakua, and you will see the flourishing vines of Tedeschi Vineyards. Here, carnelian, syrah, chenin blanc, chardonnay, malbec and viognier thrive at an 1,800-foot elevation in Haleakala’s rich, volcanic soil—the secret ingredient of successful winemaking in the tropics."
http://www.mauiwine.com/our-story/

Rick.

#9 Michael A

Michael A

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

You guys do realize that this is an 8 year old thread?
My wife always professed her desire to marry a man with a body like a Greek god. Somehow I don't think she meant one shaped like Bacchus...

#10 Hollywood Hill Vineyards

Hollywood Hill Vineyards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:Grapegrowing and winemaking of course!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

Oh well, still fun to talk about...

You know they grow vinifera grapes in all kinds of places like Thailand. You can actually grow vinifera in places like Hawaii. I've been to the vineyard on the Big Island and it's up quite a bit in elevation and it was very chilly at night up there. You can modify a location with elevation so there is almost seasons that high in elevation. The other way to "trick" the vines into thinking they've been through dormancy is to strp the leaves off the vine. You can do this by pulling all the leaves off the vine or using a defoliante. Not saying the wine is very good, but it can be done!

Steve Snyder
Owner/Winemaker/Grower
www.hollywoodhillvineyards.com

#11 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

You guys do realize that this is an 8 year old thread?

Holy cow, I totally missed that! smileyiamwithstupid.gif

And to think, this morning I thought to myself, "I forgot to welcome that new guy from Hawaii to the forum". :P

-Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#12 Chano Aguayo

Chano Aguayo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

I understand this is an old threda, but there may be someone in Hawaii thinking about growing grapes. Tedeschi is an ex-patriate from Sonoma County. A well know family that grows grapes here. Thanks.

Chano
Vineyard Prunology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users