• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 essnew

essnew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:25 AM

Have any of you seen plans on how to build a simple lift for carboys, fementers etc to where you can slide them off the hoist to the bench??
Chief New

#2 c_fusion

c_fusion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (essnew @ Sep 30 2004, 01:51 PM)
... hoist to the bench??

I'm telling you, when I started with this hobby, I think I wasn't too careful with hauling and cleaning of those carboys. I had a back back because of it (I actually was bed-ridden for a number of days). I had cleaned the carboy on the bathtub and probably didn't watch my back.

I work more with non-glass now.

BTW, question for the experts: are there a big difference with using glass vs. better bottles? Any comments.
Got wine? Virginia makes wine. Napa makes auto parts.

#3 Psyguy

Psyguy

Much to learn

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (essnew @ Sep 30 2004, 01:51 PM)
Have any of you seen plans on how to build a simple lift for carboys, fementers etc to where you can slide them off the hoist to the bench??
Chief New

I haven’t seen any plans myself, but I figure someday I’ll make a little platform with eyebolts on each corner and put an eyebolt in the ceiling. I’ll use some ropes (probably 3 – 4’ long lengths) to connect the eyebolts to one central ring, and that ring will be what lifts the platform with the carboy on it. Then it’s a matter of a simple pulley system. If it’s put close enough to your bench, then once you lift it high enough you can just push the platform w/ the carboy over onto the bench.
If I ever get a break from work - at home and at work - I just might get some wine made.
-Jevin

#4 bdavidh

bdavidh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:02 PM

What about adding a open box? Run the ropes on the outside to the top, then to the central ring. I think that might give it a bit more stability when hoisting.

Just a thought...

c_fusion;
I'm trying the Better Bottles (BB), hopefully no difference. Except the top is a #10 bung instead of the standard #6. So you can't use the Ferm-Rite silicone bungs.

#5 tonyp

tonyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:12 PM

The biggest issue with the pulley's is that you need a way to stop the carboy from going back down when you try for the next grip on the rope. You need some kind of ratcheting system similar to what rock climbers use, or have it hooked to a spool that has a ratchet on it. The last thing you want is to loose a 6 gallon carboy full of wine because your hand slipped.

The other issue I see is making something that folks who don't have a dedicated wine making area could use. (Honest Honey, you will never see the pulley in the celing when I'm not using it...) Of coarse, anything big enough to be stand alone would probably be so big that you would only want it in a dedicated area anyway.

#6 Psyguy

Psyguy

Much to learn

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (bdavidh @ Sep 30 2004, 06:28 PM)
What about adding a open box? Run the ropes on the outside to the top, then to the central ring. I think that might give it a bit more stability when hoisting.

Good idea - you might just have four hooks from you pulley to catch the top of a milk crate.
If I ever get a break from work - at home and at work - I just might get some wine made.
-Jevin

#7 essnew

essnew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:35 PM

The picture I saw regrding thr hoist was using a rachet type hand cranked , the type you use to pull a boat on a trailer. It was mounted on a post of some sort. The picture was not good enough to tell how it was rigged other than the web strap from the the "pully" was hooked to a small platform and you cranked the platform up to the bench top. It looked to be easy to move around and would have a small foot print
Chief

#8 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (bdavidh @ Sep 30 2004, 04:28 PM)
I'm trying the Better Bottles (BB), hopefully no difference. Except the top is a #10 bung instead of the standard #6. So you can't use the Ferm-Rite silicone bungs.

Ferm-Rite made three different size silicone bung :

1) carboy size
2) demi-john and 225 L barrel size
3) small barrel and SS tanks size

The number 2 or 3 should fit your Better Bottles size.
Sébastien Mailloux
Certified Wine Judge, WJC
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#9 HonkingGooseWine

HonkingGooseWine

Napa is for Car Parts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:01 PM

I have moved to using a pump biggrin.gif . Don't like picking up those full carboys tongue.gif .

Frank
HonkingGoose Vineyard and Winery
Sonoma, California

#10 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 01 October 2004 - 06:02 AM

Agree with Frank wink.gif I also use a pump to rack my wine and it is really easy and safe and of course pretty fast.
Sébastien Mailloux
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#11 essnew

essnew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (HonkingGooseWine @ Sep 30 2004, 08:27 PM)
I have moved to using a pump biggrin.gif . Don't like picking up those full carboys tongue.gif .

Frank

Frank, What type of pump do you use?
Chief

#12 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:46 AM

I don't know for Frank but I use a centrifugal pump that move 29L per minute and I have a bypass to restrict the flow if required. This is very fast and much more usefull with barrels, SS tank than a 5gal. carboy !
Sébastien Mailloux
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#13 WineThief

WineThief

Hooked on WinePress.US

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3021 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making.. :)

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:38 AM

You can get a WaterBed pump from HomeDepot for 79.00 US. that works great for racking, or if you have a minijet filter, you can bypass the filter and just use the pump part of it.
In the immortal words of Ben Franklin,
"WINE IS A CONSTANT REMINDER THAT GOD LOVES US AND LOVES TO SEE US HAPPY"
Terry Neve

#14 HonkingGooseWine

HonkingGooseWine

Napa is for Car Parts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:34 AM

Frank, What type of pump do you use?
Chief

I use a 1/4" double diaphragm pump that I got new on eBay for $25. These pumps work on air pressure and are like two air driven plungers with check valves. It does require you have an air compressor which I have in my garage biggrin.gif . I just ran a air-line over to my winery/shed and all the compressor noise is a distant rumble tongue.gif . The 1" to 4" versions are used in wineries to pump wine and must as they allow solids and thick liquids to go threw. The instructions say it pumps up to 4 gal/min at 50psi. I don't run mine at that pressure but, at 40 psi it will pump a 60 gal barrel in under 30mins which is fast enough for me. It is nice that you can slow it down to individual plunger pumps and top off containers.

One nice thing about having a pump is you can pump the free run out of your primary fermenters. I took a 3 foot piece of caped 2" pvc and drilled 3/16" holes in it. So, that I don't get any skins or seeds in my pump just push the pvc pipe down into the fermenter and pump out the free run. I use 55 gal plastic fermenters and they are very heavy to move even with the wheels I have under them but, with the free run removed they are very managable.

Frank
HonkingGoose Vineyard and Winery
Sonoma, California

#15 Psyguy

Psyguy

Much to learn

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (HonkingGooseWine @ Oct 1 2004, 12:00 PM)
One nice thing about having a pump is you can pump the free run out of your primary fermenters. I took a 3 foot piece of caped 2" pvc and drilled 3/16" holes in it. So, that I don't get any skins or seeds in my pump just push the pvc pipe down into the fermenter and pump out the free run. I use 55 gal plastic fermenters and they are very heavy to move even with the wheels I have under them but, with the free run removed they are very managable.

Smart - what a good idea!
-Jevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users