#1 Leo Sperrazza

Leo Sperrazza

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, photography, cars

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:06 PM

I'd like to do an Italian Barolo kit. Any sugistions? I don't mind spending more $$ on a premier kit if the end result is an outstanding wine. Let me know what has been been popular or what you have tried and how you liked it. Don;t forget to comment on how long it needed to age to fully develop.

Thanks

Leo
Broad Street Winery

#2 cpfan

cpfan

Kits are My Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4917 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

Not sure that it's the best, but Spagnols makes a Cru Select Italian Barolo that I have heard good things about. No comments on aging, as I have not made this kit for myself.

Steve
the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
"why do today what you can put off till next week"

#3 sharpstick

sharpstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:burningman <br />winemaking<br />mead making<br />

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (Leo Sperrazza @ Sep 26 2007, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to do an Italian Barolo kit. Any sugistions? I don't mind spending more $$ on a premier kit if the end result is an outstanding wine. Let me know what has been been popular or what you have tried and how you liked it. Don;t forget to comment on how long it needed to age to fully develop.

my very first wine kit was a WE seleccion international barolo. we drank most of it before we realized it would benefit from aging. it was excellent within a few weeks, but the few bottles we kept got even better a year later. i understand barolo does need aging more than some. i've found that a year is about average.
i made it to 5.5 gallons instead of the 6 that is called for on the advice of my local vendors. i made another one to 6 gallons and found it a bit weak.
now we use RJS kits. the grand cru is not bad, but the cru select was worth the extra $20 or so for the 15 liter kit.
i want to try a mosti mondiale meglioli barolo with the raisin pack someday($220). i figure my labor is worth something and generally get premium kits. this brings the price per bottle up to $7, high for a kit but far less than storebought. i've never seen any barolo for less than $20 in the store.
barolo is my current favorite varietal.
bill keiser
"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." Saint Arnold of Metz, patron saint of brewers

#4 Rob

Rob

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1059 posts
  • Interests:Dirt track racing, wine making

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

I've made the W/E Selection version many times, and it is quite nice, but if your looking for something to match up to the commercial version, don't bother. I haven't found anything yet that matches up to a real, full-bodied Barolo. The Cru Select version that Steve mentioned, comes a little closer mind you.

This year I'm trying Cellar Craft's Nebbiolo, with some zante currants added to it, then aged in a Hungarian Oak barrel, so we'll see. I've mentioned several times to the various manufactures to throw out there a grape-pack Barolo. No luck yet.

Rob
Pavement's for driving on, dirt's for racing!

#5 GideanYates

GideanYates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (Rob @ Sep 27 2007, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've mentioned several times to the various manufactures to throw out there a grape-pack Barolo. No luck yet.

Rob

I'll second that! You'd think that this would be a no brainer.

#6 Leo Sperrazza

Leo Sperrazza

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, photography, cars

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for all the input, I think as soon as I get this years wine in a barrell I'm going to purchase a RJ Spagnoles kit.

Thanks Again
Broad Street Winery

#7 Dan

Dan

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Golf, Hiking, Wine and Travel

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

I'm not really up on my Italian wines but I had a nebbiolo made from grapes not a kit and it was great.
Isn't Barolo and Barbaresco made from the nebbiolo grape, what is the difference.
Dan

"Water divides the people of the world, Wine unites them"

#8 Nanook37

Nanook37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Sep 27 2007, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not really up on my Italian wines but I had a nebbiolo made from grapes not a kit and it was great.
Isn't Barolo and Barbaresco made from the nebbiolo grape, what is the difference.

Both are appellation based wines which means they are wines from a particular place in the world and they follow certain standards. Both Barolo and Barbaresco are nebiolo grapes but they are from slightly different parts of Piedmont and have slightly different rules on how they are made. Because of that Barbarescos are generally softer and considered more feminine than Barolos.

BTW there is one appellation based wine (style) in America such as Barolo - 10 bonus points to the first one to name it (I'm kind of a shill for this region so... but the wine is great)

#9 sharpstick

sharpstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (Nanook37 @ Sep 27 2007, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW there is one appellation based wine (style) in America such as Barolo - 10 bonus points to the first one to name it (I'm kind of a shill for this region so... but the wine is great)

I KNOW! I KNOW! PICK ME!
the appellations ar a mounten raing eest of the misippisi rivir.
(i know the answer, but i googled it)
"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." Saint Arnold of Metz, patron saint of brewers

#10 Ed S

Ed S

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:22 PM

My vote is for the Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Barolo. It is outstanding. I have 6 bottles left from 2004 that my wife and I hold in reserve, and I regret all the bottles we gave away!

I have the Mosti Mondiale "All Juice" 23 ltr kit aging in the bottle, and I'm hoping it's as good.

Good luck

Ed S.
Ed Smith
East Windsor, CT

Through your goodness we have this wine to offer, fruit of the vine and work of human hands. It will become our spiritual drink ...

#11 sharpstick

sharpstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Ed S @ Sep 28 2007, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My vote is for the Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Barolo. It is outstanding. I have 6 bottles left from 2004 that my wife and I hold in reserve, and I regret all the bottles we gave away!

I have the Mosti Mondiale "All Juice" 23 ltr kit aging in the bottle, and I'm hoping it's as good.

Ed S.

that is the top of the line, at least as far as price. i want to try one of those. MM also has a couple other barolos. their granbarolo with raisins master edition alljuice looks good, too.
bill keiser

#12 Ed S

Ed S

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:24 AM

Yes, That's the one that I have in bottle. I think it is similar if not the same as the more expensive Meglioli, I'm hoping anyway. I will let you know in a year or two!

Ed S
Ed Smith
East Windsor, CT

Through your goodness we have this wine to offer, fruit of the vine and work of human hands. It will become our spiritual drink ...

#13 del Sol

del Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:30 PM

I, too LOVE a commercial, full-bodied Barolo!

However, (like Amarone), it's a little out of my price comfort zone.

So, STRICTLY IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE smile.gif , here's what I'm gonna try:

I'll purchase a Costco Barolo kit, make it to 19 litres, instead of 23, add a pound of Thompsons seedless raisins, and a banana, substitue Stavin oak cubes for the sawdust, ferment it in the primary for 14 days, then the secondary for another 14 days....and pray a lot!

Any predictions?

Cheers, del Sol

#14 cpfan

cpfan

Kits are My Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4917 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (del Sol @ Oct 3 2007, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll purchase a Costco Barolo kit, make it to 19 litres, instead of 23, add a pound of Thompsons seedless

del Sol:

Just wondering if you're sure that your Costco will have a Barolo kit?? I thought the Road Show was last month.

Steve
the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
"why do today what you can put off till next week"

#15 del Sol

del Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

Not at all sure about that, Steve. They had some last time I was there, a long time ago.

If they don't have any, I'll buy an RJ Spagnols Grand Cru.

Any other hints/tips/suggestions/predictions?

del Sol

PS: I'm certainly not going to use commercial Barolo for topping up this experiment.....but I happen to have some Super Tuscan that I'll sacrifice a bottle of.

Cheers, del Sol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users