• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mngoblue

mngoblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

I added 1 kg of chopped raisins to my WE LE S.African Shiraz. Will this change the speed of fermentation. The directions say to transfer after 5-7 days. I know I can check the S.G. , but I wanted to know if anything changed for anyone else.

#2 dumcd

dumcd

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1332 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (mngoblue @ Aug 12 2007, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I added 1 kg of chopped raisins to my WE LE S.African Shiraz. Will this change the speed of fermentation. The directions say to transfer after 5-7 days. I know I can check the S.G. , but I wanted to know if anything changed for anyone else.

In my experience adding raisins did not alter fermentation time. It did alter clearing time though. You will have more solids in the wine/must and they will take longer to drop out. They will alter the al level as they add sugar too. Is adding them worth it? I think in some kits, yes it is. When you get some free time do a little search for what others have added and with what results.......Duane
Eat well, drink well, live well

#3 trapper43

trapper43

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (mngoblue @ Aug 12 2007, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I usually add about 1 lb and let the primary ferment a few days longer. Particularly if it is going strong. You can listen for the fermenting action - if it is 'snap crackling and popping', or 'hissing', leave it until it stops.

I haven't been using strainer bags for the raisins (but plan to for future batches), so I use a collander (strainer) to scoop the raisins out of the must before transferring to the secondary. This gets rid of most of them. They sink to the bottom when you first add them, but then all float to the top as fermentation progresses.

I haven't had any problems with clearing. I just did 23 L of Semillon and 23 L of Chard and they cleared up in a couple of days. I am de-gassing a Bergamais right now and will add the finings to it today. It doesn't seem to have a lot of solids in it right now.

I've heard a lot of good reports about adding raisins to kits and am looking forward to my own results.
Ron from BC

DANCE LIKE YOU DON'T NEED THE MONEY
LIVE ONE DAY AT A TIME. TRY TO MAKE IT THE SAME DAY AS THE ONE YOU ARE IN

#4 AlbertaDan

AlbertaDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

Trapper43, do you chop up your raisins? The reason I ask is that I have tried both ways and when I chop them up I end up with much more sediment, thus less wine....

QUOTE (trapper43 @ Aug 14 2007, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I usually add about 1 lb and let the primary ferment a few days longer. Particularly if it is going strong. You can listen for the fermenting action - if it is 'snap crackling and popping', or 'hissing', leave it until it stops.

I haven't been using strainer bags for the raisins (but plan to for future batches), so I use a collander (strainer) to scoop the raisins out of the must before transferring to the secondary. This gets rid of most of them. They sink to the bottom when you first add them, but then all float to the top as fermentation progresses.

I haven't had any problems with clearing. I just did 23 L of Semillon and 23 L of Chard and they cleared up in a couple of days. I am de-gassing a Bergamais right now and will add the finings to it today. It doesn't seem to have a lot of solids in it right now.

I've heard a lot of good reports about adding raisins to kits and am looking forward to my own results.

#5 trapper43

trapper43

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (AlbertaDan @ Aug 14 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trapper43, do you chop up your raisins? The reason I ask is that I have tried both ways and when I chop them up I end up with much more sediment, thus less wine....

Yes, I chop up the raisins so that the skin is broken and the yeast has a better chance of getting at all the contents of the raisin. I don't 'go crazy' about it 'tho. I try to get each raisin split once (of course this is ridiculours cause they are so small, but you get the idea). I don't use a blender, I think this is overkill and will really produce a lot of sediment.

I can honestly say that sediment has not been a problem for me. I have used the raisins chopped and unchopped. When they are unchopped they get all puffy and bloated - chopping is better IMHO.

Don't worry about the loss of wine when you chop the raisins. Just add a cup or two more water to your primary, you won't even notice it; at least I don't.

Oh, BTW, I just finished filtering a batch of Semillon and a batch of Chardonnay that I added raisins to and they are F***ing AWESOME!! I can't believe how good they taste!! Understanding of course, that for the past 40 years I have been making wine by throwing yeast into anything that would bubble (it's a middle eastern thing - long story).

Where are you located BTW?
Ron from BC

DANCE LIKE YOU DON'T NEED THE MONEY
LIVE ONE DAY AT A TIME. TRY TO MAKE IT THE SAME DAY AS THE ONE YOU ARE IN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users