20 replies to this topic

#1 Jimraelee

Jimraelee

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:21 AM

If there is anyone out there thinking about geting a floor corker... please do, save your self lots of pain... I done for the night... I just bottled some 8 cases of wine from last year. The wife got me a floor corker for christmas last year and she asked me to night " Hows the corker working" my response was " If I had to cork all these by hand, I would have stopped hours ago and gone to bed leaving lots of empty bottles. lmao.gif Taint no way I would use a hand corker... I couldnt imagine using one... now at one time that might be all there was, but now... when you figure 26 bottles to a 5gal carboy... Nahhhhhh Not for me
FERMENTING
6gal Cab port

AGING
8gal Chardonnay port
20gal Riesling
13gal "way too late to be picked, mix
8gal cranberry
12gal Gewurztaminer

#2 ttalsma

ttalsma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:52 AM

I have to agree with you there. If there is any question on if you should get a floor corker, do it!

I see you have a batch of orange going. What was your recipe?

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Just remember, we're not making rockets here!"

Todd Talsma
Zeeland MI USA

#3 Jimraelee

Jimraelee

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (ttalsma @ Aug 2 2007, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see you have a batch of orange going. What was your recipe?

Thanks

Dont remember... I think it was from Kellers site... I can check at home tonight... I just got done botteling all but some fruit wines and I save my recipes to refer back to... I make notes on them and keep for later reference as to "OH this is garbage" or " Oh boy need to make this again"....
FERMENTING
6gal Cab port

AGING
8gal Chardonnay port
20gal Riesling
13gal "way too late to be picked, mix
8gal cranberry
12gal Gewurztaminer

#4 Nanook37

Nanook37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

In the end a hand corker is $20 more expensive than a floor corker because almost anyone who does more than 2 batches a year will end up getting a floor corker anyway.

#5 Paul White

Paul White

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

Im new to this hobby or is it an obsession. I don't know yet, but it is looking like the latter. I made my first 2 batches from kits and used my brother in laws hand corker. on my 3rd batch I had a floor corker and brought his back and told him Thanks that I wouldn't be needing that one ony more, it was to much like work to me.

#6 Bunghole

Bunghole

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • Interests:Making Home Made Wine, Fishing, Computers, Horror Movies, Making Home Made Wine :)

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (Paul White @ Oct 1 2007, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im new to this hobby or is it an obsession. I don't know yet, but it is looking like the latter. I made my first 2 batches from kits and used my brother in laws hand corker. on my 3rd batch I had a floor corker and brought his back and told him Thanks that I wouldn't be needing that one ony more, it was to much like work to me.

I had a local home brew show me how to use a hand corker and then let me borrow floor corker.

A week later I was the owner of a floor corker. The was lucky and bought a used one

I corker is still in excellant condition and has never failed me

John wave.gif
WARNING: Reading the posts in this forum can and will lead to a Wine Making Addiction and can cause you to buy more accessories

Who said money cant buy happiness did not know which Wine Supply Stores to shop at.

#7 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (Paul White @ Oct 1 2007, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
used my brother in laws hand corker. on my 3rd batch I had a floor corker and brought his back and told him Thanks that I wouldn't be needing that one ony more, it was to much like work to me.

The good news for your brother in law is now he knows where to borrow a floor corker! smile.gif
The observation about costing $20 more is sure true! I love my floor corker!
Wade
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#8 Nico

Nico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:music (listening and composition), wine, winemaking, soccer, web development

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:00 AM

I haven't bottled anything yet and all I hear are "horror" stories about the hand-corker (I have the 2-handle bunny-ear version)... so far I only have a few gallon batches so I hope it won't be too big a deal. :S
My home winemaking VIDEO blog: "Tinto TV" http://tv.tintorecords.com
Learn with us and guide us with the show! Please tune in and comment!

Latest video episode: Amarone Meglioli Kit www.tintorecords.com/tv/66/epi-21-tintotv-making-amarone-wine-at-home
Useful video episode: How to start a wine kit www.tintorecords.com/tv/60/epi-17-tintotv-how-to-start-a-wine-kit

#9 RichS

RichS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (Nico @ Oct 2 2007, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't bottled anything yet and all I hear are "horror" stories about the hand-corker (I have the 2-handle bunny-ear version)... so far I only have a few gallon batches so I hope it won't be too big a deal. :S

Nico If you are not ready to get the floor corker ( I also highly recomend it) then do a search here for threads talking about corkers. I have seen some good advice how to make the job a bit easier with the hand corker.

Rich smileytoast.gif
YEAST: Proof that the gods love us!

SPOILAGE BACTERIA: Proof that the devil walks a must (err…amongst) us!

#10 jbeard14

jbeard14

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:10 PM

I'll agree with everyone else. The floor corker is the way to go. It's $100 I would gladly spend again.

#11 Mike H.

Mike H.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

Yeah I had a hand corker and it would cut a piece of the cork off everytime I used it. I love my floor corker.

-MIke

#12 Bob Jenkins

Bob Jenkins

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:X-ray tech by day, grapestomper by night.<br /><br />Just don't get me drunk and loan me a camera...

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

Someday I'll step up and get a floor corker, but for now the hand corker works pretty nice. I originally had a two piece plastic corker you used w/ a hammer to get the corks in. Talk about a nightmare!! mad.gif I'll never use one of those again.

bob
What the hell do I know anyway?

#13 sharpstick

sharpstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:burningman <br />winemaking<br />mead making<br />

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (jbeard14 @ Oct 2 2007, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll agree with everyone else. The floor corker is the way to go. It's $100 I would gladly spend again.

i just upgraded to an italian. easier to cork, does crown caps (without breaking the bottle!), and collapses down for storage easier.
i just had to justify it to my wife and promise to sell the portuguese corker to one of our friends who is starting out.
bill keiser
"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." Saint Arnold of Metz, patron saint of brewers

#14 DrunkSkunk

DrunkSkunk

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (sharpstick @ Oct 3 2007, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i just upgraded to an italian. easier to cork, does crown caps (without breaking the bottle!), and collapses down for storage easier.
i just had to justify it to my wife and promise to sell the portuguese corker to one of our friends who is starting out.
bill keiser

In this house of winemaking, I am the Italian Corker. HA HA HA Currently I own the 2 handled hand corker. It was shreading off a tiny piece of cork on each bottle but that was due to an internal burr on the teflon just before going into the bottle. I smoothed that out with a Dremel tool and she works beautifully. I am not making more than 5 gallons at a time and tend to stagger bottling so I am pleased with what I have. If I made the quantity of wines some make here though, I would think a floor model is a necessity.

Bob, I had one of those 2 piece plastic ones too. I used to dread bottling with that thing but it did get the job done .... no hammer for me though, just brute force. wink.gif

#15 Bunghole

Bunghole

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • Interests:Making Home Made Wine, Fishing, Computers, Horror Movies, Making Home Made Wine :)

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (sharpstick @ Oct 3 2007, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bill keiser

I have an Italian and was wondering how you do crown caps with it. I have a beer kit that I was considering making and did not want to buy a crown capper

John wave.gif
WARNING: Reading the posts in this forum can and will lead to a Wine Making Addiction and can cause you to buy more accessories

Who said money cant buy happiness did not know which Wine Supply Stores to shop at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users