• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 baker623

baker623

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:10 AM

I have recently come across an old wine press at an auction. The basket has many years of built up dirt, other then cleaning with a mild soap and water and soaking it in santizier, does any one have any other suggestions for cleaning this. Thanks in advance for your help. john biggrin.gif
getting better at this

#2 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16287 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:19 AM

I'd never use soap on it, maybe PBW (Professional Brewers Wash I think) sold at wine and beer supply stores. Scrub with that, then thoroughly rinse and then sanitize.
What size is it? Nice find! I've seen very few at Auction!
Wade
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#3 holepuncher1

holepuncher1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Archery 4 Wheelin Guns Hunting Wine

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

Take it to the car wash and use the preasure washer! ph34r.gif

Then home to the K-Meta solution. smileytoast.gif

#4 bzac

bzac

The Grape Botherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6618 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

soak it in hot water and percarbonate (oxiclean , barrel clean or similar) for a couple of hours and then pressure wash it.

soak it in a strong kmeta solution before useing.

Z

Why does my wine smell like eggs / H2S ?

Did you use nutrient ?

No

Thats why .

Next Question?

#5 Curt

Curt

Bumbling Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3585 posts
  • Interests:wine and winemaking
    karate
    woodworking
    photography
    hunting

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

If you happen to work where they have a steam cleaner they will cut through the nastiest stuff ever and kill a host of bad bugs in the process. Then I'd use K-meta. Nice find!

what's brewing; 6gal local plum  6gal strawberry/rhubarb  6gal pinot noir  6gal blueberry/grape  6gal old vine zin  9gal local apple

#6 Jim Fleming

Jim Fleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making, of course! :P :)

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

Steam Cleaner or Pressure Washer, whichever... Just make sure that you remember to adjust the settings to NOT use detergents or waxes, etc... Those pressurized machines have enough pressure to DRIVE/FORCE the chemicals into the actual grain/fibers of the wood in the basket. You'll never get the flavors of those chemicals out, if that happens... Thereby requiring you to replace the wooden parts that'll come into contact with the grapes, etc...

We suggest that you only use a garden hose on the press, with whatever the cold water pressure cleans off, etc.

Good find tho... We're jealous. wink.gif

J&M

QUOTE (holepuncher1 @ Jul 23 2007, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take it to the car wash and use the preasure washer! ph34r.gif

Then home to the K-Meta solution. smileytoast.gif

Jim and Morisa Fleming

#7 A_perfect_ashler

A_perfect_ashler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Wine making with free or cheap ingreds. berries I pick or wild grapes. And meads. Freemasonry. A Moderator on makingwine at yahoo.com.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (baker623 @ Jul 23 2007, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have recently come across an old wine press at an auction. The basket has many years of built up dirt, other then cleaning with a mild soap and water and soaking it in santizier, does any one have any other suggestions for cleaning this. Thanks in advance for your help. john biggrin.gif

OOOOHHH my Gowd! Don't even try cleaning it, too dangerous, just send it to me and I will give it a good home! smileycheers.gif lmao.gif
To drink the bubbles is heavenly, to put them in is devine!  David F. Warner 2005

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. It was belived this would insure fertility. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.
da"Penicillin cures, but wine makes people happy." Alexander Fleming (1881-1955), the Scottish bacteriologist who discovered Penicillin in 1928.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users