5 replies to this topic

#1 VCV

VCV

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:06 AM

What is the disease where the green pea sized berries split and the seed pops out after a 24 hr rain like we had yesterday.

It does not look like black rot, and it does not resemble anything I can find, but i know it is something because it cost me 20% of my crop last night.

Any ideas??

#2 P Cuthbert

P Cuthbert

WinePressrific

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7020 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:20 AM

Excess moisture?

Some fruit will actually do what you describe when they have been given a large amount of water in a hurry.

Ever see potatoes with holes in the middle? Same thing. Apples and pears and peaches will all do as you describe.

Really sorry to hear about the losses in your crop.

You might look at windrowing between the rows and lower the ground level a bit to keep the water from pooling around the base of your vines.

Pat

#3 Psyguy

Psyguy

Much to learn

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:24 AM

Now that you mention it, I have heard that tomatoes split if they get too much water too quickly as they are nearing ripeness.
If I ever get a break from work - at home and at work - I just might get some wine made.
-Jevin

#4 primitivo

primitivo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:34 AM

too much rain, if the weather is warm to hot straight after the rain , o r windy and quickly seals off the split you may not have lost as much fruit as you think, I have seen this type of wound carried through to maturity, if it is splitting. I would be carefully monitorring for bot about 4 days after the rain

regards

#5 VCV

VCV

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:25 AM

Thanks guys...it is 50 degrees here. No chance for bot today. we are talking hard pea sized berries. it splits right across the middle of the berry, then the seeds eject with some pulp.

#6 VCV

VCV

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:52 AM

Got this off another thread that Eric started a while back. This is it exactly. 1st and 3rd photograph. What is it???????

http://www.winepress...?showtopic=1387

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users