• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Jenkins

Bob Jenkins

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:X-ray tech by day, grapestomper by night.<br /><br />Just don't get me drunk and loan me a camera...

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

To Miracle Grow, or not to Miracle Grow, that is the question. My vines are growing SO SLOW, I don't get it. I water them well. They're 2 y/o and they're just not doing a whole lot at all. Would miracle grow help?, or am I just not being patient enough? mad.gif
What the hell do I know anyway?

#2 Herb_08161947

Herb_08161947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Bees, Honey, Vineyards, Growing Sorghum, General Horticulture

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Bob Jenkins @ Jun 9 2007, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To Miracle Grow, or not to Miracle Grow, that is the question. My vines are growing SO SLOW, I don't get it. I water them well. They're 2 y/o and they're just not doing a whole lot at all. Would miracle grow help?, or am I just not being patient enough? mad.gif

What Varieties are they? How many?

Where did you get them?

Whats the soil like?

Whats planted near them?

These are the first questions that come to mind. I know that I have not had much luck with using extra fertilizer on "stunted" plants.

Herb
Herb McIntyre
Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu Melekh ha‑olam, bo're p'ri ha‑gafen.
Retired and growing grapes near the coast of NC
34°46'43.13"N 78°29'9.65"W

#3 Bob Jenkins

Bob Jenkins

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:X-ray tech by day, grapestomper by night.<br /><br />Just don't get me drunk and loan me a camera...

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

I got half of 'em at Lowes, and half at a nursery I found here in town. The soil here in Misosuri is pretty much clay infested, but I used some good "store bought" soil when I planted them. They are Concord and Catawba, and there isn't anything else planted near them. ??

#4 Herb_08161947

Herb_08161947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Bob Jenkins @ Jun 9 2007, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got half of 'em at Lowes, and half at a nursery I found here in town. The soil here in Misosuri is pretty much clay infested, but I used some good "store bought" soil when I planted them. They are Concord and Catawba, and there isn't anything else planted near them. ??

A few years ago I bought 12 concords from Lowes - most survived but never grew - after a year I dug most of them up and took them back for refund. One still clings to life out near my muscadines. I have many Concords and Catawbas from Double A and they litterly leap from the ground - their vigor is actually a problem. I do not know what Lowes does to it's grapevines, but that is the first suspicion that comes to mind.

Herb
Herb McIntyre

#5 Bob Jenkins

Bob Jenkins

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

That is what I suspected. I really hate to hear it, though. I just don't understand how the quality can be that much different. I've had problems w/ some petunias I bought from Lowes, too. They're planted right next to the ones I bought at the nursery. Lowes flowers look dead, nursery flowers are beautiful. So, should I just scrap the Lowe's vines and get something else? i hate to waste my time w/ something that isn't going to produce. huh.gif huh.gif

#6 Herb_08161947

Herb_08161947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Bob Jenkins @ Jun 9 2007, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is what I suspected. I really hate to hear it, though. I just don't understand how the quality can be that much different. I've had problems w/ some petunias I bought from Lowes, too. They're planted right next to the ones I bought at the nursery. Lowes flowers look dead, nursery flowers are beautiful. So, should I just scrap the Lowe's vines and get something else? i hate to waste my time w/ something that isn't going to produce. huh.gif huh.gif

I'd probably try the miracle gro - but with the likelihood that you will need to replace the plants. Sometimes on here it sounds like we all have stock in Double A - but there is a reason - their plants GROW! Guess it's too late to order for this year - but starting in Oct it would not be too soon.

Sorry I do not have any more encouraging words.

Herb
Herb McIntyre

#7 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16376 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

I agree with Herb...like an echo! Do the Miracle-Gro, you have nothing to lose at this point as you can't get new vines until Fall or Winter.
Double A! Can't be beat!
Concord and Catawba are very vigorous vines for me too! I threatened to only grow Catawba because of their vigor! It's wonderful when they're growing, but may be a problem later, too much vigor!
Feed 'em!
Wade
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#8 Wineoh

Wineoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Wine... Vine... Wood Working

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Bob Jenkins @ Jun 9 2007, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Bob,
My vines are 2 yrs old, I bought them from a nursery here in Louisiana. I have 2 ea Summit (muscadines) 2 ea Champanel (bunch grape) and 2 ea Midsouth (bunch grape), everytime I water the little boys I use miracle grow it has'nt hurt a thing that I can tell.

They are vigerous and growing very well. I also have a bit of clay in the soil here in Louisiana. Lime iss good for the soil if your PH is'nt just the way you need it to be. If you use lime, try to use it 3 months before your going to plant if possiable it takes a bit of time to work in.

try www.ison.com if you decide to try some other plants.

Good luck, its hard work and worry but it so much fun.
Kermit
"So much to Learn... So little Time"

Primary (Empty for the moment)
6 Gals Red Hot Strawberry (Fermenting, 1st rack)

#9 Bob Jenkins

Bob Jenkins

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I wish I had found this forum a long time ago. smileytoast.gif biggrin.gif

#10 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

I have some old established vines that I finally fertilized with 13-13-13 and they have responded very well. As was said earlier, you have nothing to loose at this point...go for it.

#11 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Family, writing, vineyard, study of the stars* Yoga! Kayaking! Hanging out. Reading. Oh, and quilting!

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

As I understand it, when you plant grapes, it is best NOT to use better soil in the planting hole than what is in that area. If you do, the roots will just stay in the better soil and use it up and go nowhere. I've heard you can put better soil on top of the soil around the plant, or something along that line, but use the soil you have for planting or else it retards the growth.

I'm not sure how you can fix it, if this is part of the problem. Anyone else have any ideas? maybe I'm not explaining this well. I'm already two glasses of blackberry brandy to the wind. Long day, good painkiller.
Peace, laughter, and fun. Wade helps me not be so serious! Love is like walking barefoot through a field of flowers.
With Wade.

#12 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16376 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:46 PM

Maybe feed and water on the outer edge of the root zone, making them reach for it.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#13 HCarter

HCarter

• WinePress.US Book Editor
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

I can't seem to find the topic now, but somewhere on this board I had read that several people had some trouble with Ison's. I cannot speak from personal experience though. Just thought I would bring it up.

- Howard

#14 Pat H.

Pat H.

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2142 posts
  • Location:Travelers Rest, Northwestern South Carolina, el. 1250 ft.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (HCarter @ Jun 11 2007, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't seem to find the topic now, but somewhere on this board I had read that several people had some trouble with Ison's. I cannot speak from personal experience though. Just thought I would bring it up.
- Howard
I have three dozen of their vines, or should say had since many were killed during the Easter Frost. I've not had any trouble with Ison's; good service on two orders from them. I think they've had issues in the past, from information given to me by those that personally know about them. As far as I know, those issues have been sorted out. I'll be visiting their nursery next month to buy green growing replacements for the vines that didn't make it.

#15 HCarter

HCarter

• WinePress.US Book Editor
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (Pat H. @ Jun 11 2007, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have three dozen of their vines, or should say had since many were killed during the Easter Frost. I've not had any trouble with Ison's; good service on two orders from them. I think they've had issues in the past, from information given to me by those that personally know about them. As far as I know, those issues have been sorted out. I'll be visiting their nursery next month to buy green growing replacements for the vines that didn't make it.

I stand (sit) corrected. lmao.gif

- Howard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users