13 replies to this topic

#1 hz3gzy

hz3gzy

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1497 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

Does anybody follow the Moon Phase technology when making wine? I have any old Itailian friend that makes wine whom follows the Moon phases throughout the process and said he never fail on any of his wines. Is there directions on this way of making wine? Apparently He only racks and bottles on certain phases of the Moon but the day he does it, it must be a clear day with minimum wind. He says Moon phases have a roll in harvesting and planting too,

#2 MartyYule

MartyYule

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2037 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (hz3gzy @ May 14 2007, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anybody follow the Moon Phase technology when making wine? I have any old Itailian friend that makes wine whom follows the Moon phases throughout the process and said he never fail on any of his wines. Is there directions on this way of making wine? Apparently He only racks and bottles on certain phases of the Moon but the day he does it, it must be a clear day with minimum wind. He says Moon phases have a roll in harvesting and planting too,

The only part of the procedure I have ever heard is to rack when you see the full moon. The only scientific concept I have ever heard about doing that is if you can see a full moon it is probably a high pressure weather system and that helps making the lees compact.

#3 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:Family, writing, vineyard, study of the stars* Yoga! Kayaking! Hanging out. Reading. Oh, and quilting!

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

Wade and I have planted and harvested, watching the Moon signs and phases for a number of years, although we just recently returned to gardening after several years away from gardening.

I have studied the Moon's phases and various other aspects of astrology for a long time. I have my horary astrology certificate, which is a "traditional" branch of astrological study related to asking questions and finding answers through the planetary placements at the time of the question.

I have not heard about wine making related to the Moon's phases but it makes total sense to me. With the Moon's phases, plants swell up with moisture and dry out, retaining more or less moisture depending on the position of the Moon. I would be happy to post information for a period of time related to the Moon and folks could try it out. I suspect this area is one that doesn't have much research or data related to it, but I could be wrong. (I've never googled wine making and moon phases, will have to do that!)

I used to discount the Moon's influence (because it moves so fast from one sign to the next, changing and going through a whole cycle in a 28-29 day period). Then, with deeper study, I realized its importance for triggering wider, larger events when it passes over various points in the whole chart one might be studying.

Tonite, at 9:48 pm central time, the Moon enters Taurus, a fixed earth sign. The earth and water signs are best for planting, in general, and the fire and air signs are best for cultivating, tilling, etc, in general. There are some very good sites out there if you google moon phase that will explain the whole process from New moon through Full Moon and back. The next New Moon is on May 16th at 2:27 pm Central time with moon and Sun being at 25 Taurus 33. From New Moon to Full Moon, plants begin to take in more moisture and swell up. I recently read that watering when the Moon is in water signs is the most productive time to water. I've noticed it seems to rain during those times, lately, too!

I have Solarfire 6 on both my computers and if anyone wants to track a batch of wine by way of the Moon signs and phases, please let me know. i would be happy to provide you with information regarding exact times of various phases or entry into chosen signs for your area. I can do a chart for anytime, anywhere with Solarfire.

If folks recorded the time they started a batch, the time they do various things to it, one could go back, if a batch turned out badly or if it turned out incredibly wonderfuly, and perhaps track various parts of it. There are also websites out there that tell you where the Moon is at any given point in time, if you choose to track it yourself. If you can't find what you want googling, I'll see what I can find for your area.

This is something that would interest me alot, tracking it and seeing what help the Moon could be.

I've tried ignoring the Moon for planting, and always pay the price when I do. This spring, I started several plants, and was so in the mood to plant, I ignored the Moon being in a fire sign. Every one of those nursery plants died for one reason or another. Some died early, some died later, but not one made it. I have logical reasons for that, but can't escape the fact that I also ignored the Moon sign compatibility for a successful planting. We try to cycle our planting for water and earth signs, throughout the planting season, and after the recent fiasco ignoring the Moon because of my impatience to plant, I think I'll try to curb my enthusiasm to get started next spring and wait for the Moon sign to be best.

One last thing: pruning by the Moon is also very well documented. Wade took a class this last Feb and as it turned out the most perfect time to prune was the time of the class. That perfect time spilled over into several hours after Wade returned home, and he busily tried to get all our pruning done during the "best time" to prune. I'd have to look it up, but I think the Moon was in 3rd quarter, in Scorpio.
Peace, laughter, and fun. Wade helps me not be so serious! Love is like walking barefoot through a field of flowers.
With Wade.

#4 Vinomaker

Vinomaker

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1166 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, wine drinking, visiting wineries, talking wine, also hunting & fishing.

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (hz3gzy @ May 14 2007, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marty has the right answer. The high pressure usually associated with a full moon will make for more compact lees. I would think the difference would be very slight between high and low pressure, however I rack, bottle, make wine when I have time.

If you are going to use a full moon as your winemaking guide, you will be able to do it twice this month. luxhello.gif . I think they call the second one a "blue moon".

I also like to drink wine during the full moon phase, but then, I also drink wine all phases of the moon. al_coholic.gif

Vinomaker

#5 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:Family, writing, vineyard, study of the stars* Yoga! Kayaking! Hanging out. Reading. Oh, and quilting!

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:04 AM

www.gardeningbythemoon.com
www.winemakermag.com has a reference to bottling with phases of moon.
Peace, laughter, and fun. Wade helps me not be so serious! Love is like walking barefoot through a field of flowers.
With Wade.

#6 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

vinomaker, you have the right idea! Do it when you have time, for sure. But, when possible, if one links it with best moon phase/sign time, it is just added benefit.

That high pressure at full Moon is well documented. I used to work in a nursing home and the residents were totally crazy at the time of the full Moon. Even our brains swell up during the full moon, according to documentation I've read! that high pressure translates into higher tides than normal, more crazy behavior than normal, etc.
With Wade.

#7 hz3gzy

hz3gzy

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1497 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (winesupplyfetcher @ May 14 2007, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
vinomaker, you have the right idea! Do it when you have time, for sure. But, when possible, if one links it with best moon phase/sign time, it is just added benefit.

That high pressure at full Moon is well documented. I used to work in a nursing home and the residents were totally crazy at the time of the full Moon. Even our brains swell up during the full moon, according to documentation I've read! that high pressure translates into higher tides than normal, more crazy behavior than normal, etc.

Does that mean, only rack wine on a full Moon?

#8 MartyYule

MartyYule

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2037 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (hz3gzy @ May 15 2007, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When racking after MLF I move the wine to a colder environment. a few days later when the wine has dropped in temp, I rack. I find this makes for a very compact lees. Also if you use oak-mor it will compact the lees.
Further rackings occur with the wine maintained at a colder wine cellar temperature. I do not consider the moon in any of this.

#9 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:27 AM

I don't know if racking wine would be nearly as affected as bottling wine might be using Moon phases and signs.

With my very limited understanding of the whole process (Wade usually does most of the wine making, and I fetch supplies and help occasionally when asked) it seems that the idea of bottling when the pressure is highest (full Moon) would prevent some problems with corks blowing etc. Wade and I just looked back at when we bottled a batch of peach plum wine that he made in 1993. I looked up the Moon phase and I would have guessed we had bottled at the New Moon, just by the remembrance of them starting to blow their corks some days later. But, that batch had many beginner wine making errors, including that Wade gave up on the batch too soon and bottled it as juice. That tell tale "Pop!" occuring like popcorn some days later was horrifying because we knew we had a mess of huge proportions in the making. Anyway, that batch was bottled in the last quarter of the Moon, about 30 hours before the New Moon.

In my mind, if bottling were to be done primarily during the full or close to full Moon, then the pressure ideally would not ever increase to the point that one would lose the corks from the bottles. But, because there are so many different kinds of wine, with varied tastes and components, it is possible that one wine might do best bottled at a slightly different moon phase or even a specific Moon sign. This is a broad area that some good research would be very interesting.

In my opinion, moon signs when planting grapes, pruning grapes, harvesting grapes, and starting wine could be influential on the overall outcome of flavor as well as the general success of the vine and/or the whole process of the wine making.

Still, it's probably a majority of vintners that take no notice of these things and manage to have great success with their grapes, fruit, and wines. My curiousity would be if taking notice would give one a bit of an extra edge......towards the mark of excellence and success with wine making, grape growing, etc.
With Wade.

#10 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15291 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

Usually, the cause of corks blowing is re-fermentation...residual sugar, un-stabilized wine.
On the other hand, sometimes my corks just seem to keep slipping out of the bottle a little. Maybe timing corking to a full moon, the corks would tend to pull into the bottle the rest of the month rather than pushing a little out and loosening. I've had a few batches that worried me constantly because the corks seemed to loosen, but didn't check to see where the moon was when bottling...I've always bottled whenever necessary and I had the time. I have several batches ready to bottle now; I think we'll experiment with this. I have 25 gallons of blackberry that I'll try bottling in weekly intervals and see what happens...of course it might be a year before we know the results!
We've definately seen different results when planting based on the moon.
Wade
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#11 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

the biggest problem with research in areas like this is that it would be very difficult to have "controls" in place to properly judge. Wade's idea of experimenting with one large batch of the same wine might be the closest to a "control" that would assist in figuring out if it really makes any difference.

sometimes in life, though, we just have to do what we can when we have time to do it. It's not always convenient to plan things around the Moon, but I'm finding it to be worthwhile to make it a habit to try.
With Wade.

#12 hz3gzy

hz3gzy

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1497 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE (Wade's Wines @ May 15 2007, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually, the cause of corks blowing is re-fermentation...residual sugar, un-stabilized wine.
On the other hand, sometimes my corks just seem to keep slipping out of the bottle a little. Maybe timing corking to a full moon, the corks would tend to pull into the bottle the rest of the month rather than pushing a little out and loosening. I've had a few batches that worried me constantly because the corks seemed to loosen, but didn't check to see where the moon was when bottling...I've always bottled whenever necessary and I had the time. I have several batches ready to bottle now; I think we'll experiment with this. I have 25 gallons of blackberry that I'll try bottling in weekly intervals and see what happens...of course it might be a year before we know the results!
We've definately seen different results when planting based on the moon.
Wade

My Itailian Budy said the his Granpa always bottled his wine in the First quater when he wanted to get a sparkling wine!

#13 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

sounds like a great way to enhance the sparkle! what else did your Italian buddy say?
With Wade.

#14 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

Just a quick note: Moon just went into Scorpio. It's a great sign for planting, transplanting, and watering. Should be good through all of tuesday, and most of Wednesday, no matter where you are!
With Wade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users